Apple VR is rumoured with a potential price tag of $3,000

• Thread starter Deleted member 41971
  • Start date

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't see the appeal of Apples in general ;)

Seriously though, I agree with you...I have always looked at them and gone "why would someone pay that much for something not much different than something half it's price". I will say I do understand it when it comes to the Mac computers as they are highly recommended especially if doing things like design etc
Not any more though, most professionals moved en masse to the Microsoft surface line a few years ago because of the problems the Mac lineup were having with Intel and really poor performance.

For around the same money you get significantly better performance, and better professional tools on the surface line.

Most MacOS only professional software has now been made windows compatible due to demand.

Stephen M

Author Level
We used Apple for some time but only because Quark was Apple only, that is also Windows now, although the company ditched Quark for TERA as it was cheaper.

Stephen M

Author Level
Could have added to previous. Soon after helping with a TERA upgrade the company also ditched me for someone cheaper:)

One of the best days of my life, I genuinely hated our new editor and ended up with a decent redundancy pay out - it puts you on quite a good footing when while you are being made redundant the company is training two other people to do a job you are qualified to do and have done. My solicitor said he could get me my job back if I wanted, I said I would shoot him if he did :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I love to hate Apple...... but I'll start with saying that if Apple get into the VR market it will be brilliant for all VR contributors around the world. It's right on the cusp of greatness now and absolutely ready for all out assault in the mass market. The trouble is that it's not as popular as it needs to be in order for the bigger developers to invest serious money into it. Once that happens, there's going to be no going back. There are flashes of brilliance in some VR games, and some all out absolute mind blowing experiences too.

With my love hate relationship....

I absolutely love the hardware, for the most part. They make good kit, well built units that are made to last and using premium components.
I bought the first iPad and, at first, thought it was fantastic.

The crux for me is the software. I hate bullying and I feel that the software tries to bully me. I'm pushed to the Apple ethos and everything must be done the way Apple designate and design. It's sold as a "simplicity" but it's a control IMO, and I don't like it. When I took that original iPad on holiday, I wanted to rip some of my DVDs to put on it..... I did so using methods I have done for years with no issue. Getting it onto the iPad and getting it working was another story though. The on-board video app will only play what apple dictate, so my chosen codec was out. I then downloaded an app to handle, what I believed to be the correct codec. Could I simply use the copied versions of the files in the app? No..... I had to re-upload via iTunes as none of the storage on the iPad is shared between apps. Heaven forbid you want to use a different app for something you have on the bloody thing. 3 apps, around 8 hours and a massive reduction in head hair and I had a working media system. I came back from that holiday, bought a Samsung Galaxy and handed my 18 month old the £600 iPad.... never to look back.

Some other notes......... your device gets tied to your PC. If you try to plug into another PC you have to carefully navigate in order to stop your device being wiped. The language in iTunes taking you through this used to be horrendous. I remember multiple times wondering which option to choose as it was worded so alien. Wiped my iPod around 3 times. I was over the moon when phones became decent for MP3s as I could ditch the iPod altogether.

Can you now bluetooth between iPhones and other devices? I know you couldn't the last time I checked. You can't plug in an i and use it as a storage device, you can't simply copy/transfer files on-off the device for use with any apps on the phone without designating it through your dedicated itunes account/PC/laptop.

Now..... with all that being said. If you aren't tech savvy and you're more than happy to get your trousers pulled down, everything works in perfect unison (from what I can tell). As long as you are willing, and happy, to pay for absolutely everything you want to use/watch/listen to through Apple then you're all good. Your entire home & infrastructure will pretty much alienate everything that isn't an Apple device though.

I feel people are conned into this way of thinking and just end up following the herd because the Apple brand is "hip and cool". I always jibe with "iSheep" comments to my friends who adopt. The excellent way they market and advertise means people actually believe Apple start new features, 99% of the time it's re-hashed Android ports but because they are useless with marketing, ground breaking advances gets muddled up in a "update notes" blurb.... car-play springs immediately to mind. Something that was available on my very first HTC yet took Apple around 8 years to coin.

Anyway...... I love when Apple do things I like. I'll never turn to them but it means my own brand choice will roll up their sleeves a little :D

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I still don't know anyone tech savvy with a personal use iphone. The only people I know who have them are women, children, technologically inept people and people who have them as company phones.

The 'women' comment appears rather sexist when I read it back, but it's a fact from my own observations of friends, colleagues and family. Or maybe I just choose to only know technologically inept women.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I still don't know anyone tech savvy with a personal use iphone. The only people I know who have them are women, children, technologically inept people and people who have them as company phones.

The 'women' comment appears rather sexist when I read it back, but it's a fact from my own observations of friends, colleagues and family. Or maybe I just choose to only know technologically inept women.
I know plenty of techies with iphones, one reason is security. They're inherently more secure than any android phone.

Android phone OEM's have a huge percentage who accidentally bundle malware into phone updates, true story, google it.

Then the play store isn't monitored per app for viruses, so again, it's incredibly easy to bundle malware or adware into the apk and no one knows about it until it's hit 1m downloads and made front page news.... again just google the amount of times this happens.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I know plenty of techies with iphones, one reason is security. They're inherently more secure than any android phone.

Android phone OEM's have a huge percentage who accidentally bundle malware into phone updates, true story, google it.

Then the play store isn't monitored per app for viruses, so again, it's incredibly easy to bundle malware or adware into the apk and no one knows about it until it's hit 1m downloads and made front page news.... again just google the amount of times this happens.
I totally agree with all that.... but, for me.... that goes back to being tech savvy. Its like saying MacOS is more secure so use Windows.... its the level of openness of the OS that gives the draw for me. Granted..... you need to be more careful, but that's where I think less tech savvy folks are indeed drawn to the IOS of the phones.

The security with the iPhone is what bothers me too. I can turn on "allow unsafe apps" on an android. I want to be able to control what I feel I need to have secure. If I get burned I'll live and learn but I'd rather ride with stabilisers off, or at least the ability to change gears, personally.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I totally agree with all that.... but, for me.... that goes back to being tech savvy. Its like saying MacOS is more secure so use Windows.... its the level of openness of the OS that gives the draw for me. Granted..... you need to be more careful, but that's where I think less tech savvy folks are indeed drawn to the IOS of the phones.

The security with the iPhone is what bothers me too. I can turn on "allow unsafe apps" on an android. I want to be able to control what I feel I need to have secure. If I get burned I'll live and learn but I'd rather ride with stabilisers off, or at least the ability to change gears, personally.
You can do all that with IOS as well, you can sideload apps if you jailbreak it. I agree, it's one of those things where it would be nice to have the option within the OS itself, I grant you.

The reason I moved from android to IOS was because the last 2 androids I had, a samsung and a sony, both of them installed malware during a system update. I was lucky and had quite good port sniffing set up and a decent firewall so I got the notification pretty quickly when loads of additional apk's started installing themselved from random web locations, and then strange uploads started going on, but it scared the bejeezus out of me.

I'm sure it's moved on since then, Samsung are definitely a lot better, Sony probably not considering they still seem to be stuck circa 2010 on the same phone designs.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I did jailbreak my ipad but I was limited with what I could then do... banking apps etc.

I do know what you mean though. They definitely have their place, especially if you buy into the ecosystem where stuff just plain works.

On phones, i thought Sony were very clunky. Great camera and features at points but lost it with their OS change. I liked LG for a while but prefer Samsung of late.

I've not had any security issues to note though, certainly none that I wasn't expecting 🤣🤣

With openness will always come a certain degree of risk though. No pain no gain 🤭😆

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On phones, i thought Sony were very clunky. Great camera and features at points but lost it with their OS change. I liked LG for a while but prefer Samsung of late.
My next phone I'm considering is the Samsung Fold 3, I'm hoping they'll reduce the current price even a fraction, should be cheaper by then to do an equivalent design. I've always been a huge fan of huge phones, and that one ticks all the boxes. I do think Samsung have done extremely well with the One OS also, that used to be their greatest letdown was really crappy OS's, but they've come a long way since I last had a samsung.

I had the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which physically was an incredible phone.... but yeah, the OS SUCKED!!! You basically had no choice but to go custom ROM.

I've had my day with IOS for now until they release a foldable. They're all the same and have been since the X.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
One of the girls I worked with previously got the Samsung Fold last year. Not sure what iteration that was. It's quite the spectacle to see, I must admit. I don't think it would be for me as I thought it looked a little fragile. I can see how good it would be as an all rounder though.

I've got the S20+ right now. I don't think I could go as big as the ultra, even though it's marginal really. I'm quite big so the S20+ just looks like a regular phone in my mits. The camera on these phones is ridiculous now. My DSLR literally sits gathering dust, only coming out for the really special occasions. I don't rely on my phone as much as some though, I'm still a keyboard & screen kind of guy (Laptop/PC/etc) for my social media.

Anyway.... back to VR. I want someone to bring out the FOV of the Index with the clarity of the G2. I can't for the life of me figure out why HP, working with Valve, didn't keep the better peripheral vision. Anyone serious about simulation wants the bigger FOV. It's why some people go for the Pimax..... for all of it's flaws, it has the best peripheral vision hands down. The technology is there, Valve have done it to an extent already. When a headset comes out with such features I'll be getting it regardless, as long as the cost isn't crazy.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That's a bit strong don't you think?

SlimCini

It's bordering on 'bang out of order', in my opinion.
What is? There's no opinion there. Just an observation. Of all the people who I know well enough to know what phone they have, that is all fact. The only bit that was possibly worded poorly was the comment about me choosing to only know technologically inept women, which was supposed to be a dig at myself doing something subconsciously and is clearly not true anyway.

But it remains that the only people I personally know with iPhones are those with business phones so given to them by companies, teenagers/children and women. And two good friends who openly admit they have no idea about tech and get iPhones because they're cool. And even then I'd say I know more women with android than iPhone.

Maybe the apple marketing is just very good at selling to women and youths.

I'll take the security advantages and assume they are popular with techies for that reason.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
What is? There's no opinion there. Just an observation. Of all the people who I know well enough to know what phone they have, that is all fact. The only bit that was possibly worded poorly was the comment about me choosing to only know technologically inept women, which was supposed to be a dig at myself doing something subconsciously and is clearly not true anyway.

But it remains that the only people I personally know with iPhones are those with business phones so given to them by companies, teenagers/children and women. And two good friends who openly admit they have no idea about tech and get iPhones because they're cool. And even then I'd say I know more women with android than iPhone.

Maybe the apple marketing is just very good at selling to women and youths.

I'll take the security advantages and assume they are popular with techies for that reason.
While your original post does indeed state it's an observation, it creates the suggestion (perhaps inadvertently, perhaps not) that the iPhone actually is only for 'women, children and the technically inept', which is offensive on at least one count. And seeing as I wasn’t the only one to pick up on it, please don't think I'm just being unduly picky for the sake of it.

SlimCini

While your original post does indeed state it's an observation, it creates the suggestion (perhaps inadvertently, perhaps not) that the iPhone actually is only for 'women, children and the technically inept'. I wasn't the only one to pick up on it, so please don't think I'm just being picky for the sake of it.
Hiding behind a "I wasn't the only one to think it" doesn't mean it's anything other than sexism being created by your own mind. It might suggest it to you, but i haven't stated it. So I sort of do think you're being picky for the sake of choosing to be offended I'm afraid. But this could drag and become petty and I think you're a solid poster so feel free to reply and have the last word and I'll leave it at that.