Ionico Series DRAM 2933 MHz

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I've recently discovered something that makes me confused a bit.
I ordered Ionico 17.3' but haven't recieved yet. When I ordered (Feb 10th), DRAM MHz's of the laptop was support 2666MHz maximum as specification page says. And there wasn't any option to upgrade higher than 2666MHz.

Memory TypeSupports DDR4 2666MHz

Then I saw someone ordered 2933MHz today.
So I had to go back to check if I still can be upgrade my RAM to 2933MHz and the result is yes. I tried amend my order and it can be upgrade to higher amount MHz than they mentioned. But it is weird because specification of the laptop page still says it supports maximum 2666MHz.

Here's my questions:

Did PCS forget to change that the laptop can support 2933MHz too? Or did PCS changed motherboard to use for 22rd March orders?
Can I buy 2933MHz DRAM for later to upgrade?

Can somene explain me please, thanks.

Attachments

• 20210305_005919.jpg
    20210305_005919.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210305_005831.jpg
    20210305_005831.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys, I've recently discovered something that makes me confused a bit.
I ordered Ionico 17.3' but haven't recieved yet. When I ordered (Feb 10th), DRAM MHz's of the laptop was support 2666MHz maximum as specification page says. And there wasn't any option to upgrade higher than 2666MHz.

Memory TypeSupports DDR4 2666MHz

Then I saw someone ordered 2933MHz today.
So I had to go back to check if I still can be upgrade my RAM to 2933MHz and the result is yes. I tried amend my order and it can be upgrade to higher amount MHz than they mentioned. But it is weird because specification of the laptop page still says it supports maximum 2666MHz.

Here's my questions:

Did PCS forget to change that the laptop can support 2933MHz too? Or did PCS changed motherboard to use for 22rd March orders?
Can I buy 2933MHz DRAM for later to upgrade?

Can somene explain me please, thanks.
2666MHz is likely the native speed that the board supports, the rest are DOCP overclocks.

Same as on desktop motherboards. The fastest speed on AMD desktops is 3200MHz, but you can configure higher than that as it's overclocked by the board.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
2666MHz is likely the native speed that the board supports, the rest are DOCP overclocks.

Same as on desktop motherboards. The fastest speed on AMD desktops is 3200MHz, but you can configure higher than that as it's overclocked by the board.
Would there be much real world benefit upgrading from 2666 to 2933?

Macco26

Expert
10th Gen Intel CPU natively support up to 2933 Mhz RAM. Ionico is no different. PCS forgot to upgrade description page. If you put a 3200 Mhz SODIMM, like CL22, it will read it as 2933 Mhz, maybe at faster CL20. Nothing more than 2933. But definitely supports it.

PCS finally is able to provide SoDimm at 2933 (probably they are 3200, as I said earlier, it's irrelevant for your Ionico). Pity my Ionico was just assembled 2 days ago and shipped to Fedex today, so I'll have mine at 2666 Mhz RAM no matter what. Too late this option appeared.

Anyway, RAM speed is crucial for AMD CPUs, where their Infiniy fabric inside the CPU is linked to the speed of DRAM. For Intel is not so important, you might gain no more than 1-2 fps by upgrading 2666 to 2933. For AMD would be like 5-10% left on the table instead.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
10th Gen Intel CPU natively support up to 2933 Mhz RAM. Ionico is no different. PCS forgot to upgrade description page. If you put a 3200 Mhz SODIMM, like CL22, it will read it as 2933 Mhz, maybe at faster CL20. Nothing more than 2933. But definitely supports it.
We had previous models apply an auto XMP at 3200MHz successfully which is why I suggested it.

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster

PCS finally is able to provide SoDimm at 2933 (probably they are 3200, as I said earlier, it's irrelevant for your Ionico). Pity my Ionico was just assembled 2 days ago and shipped to Fedex today, so I'll have mine at 2666 Mhz RAM no matter what. Too late this option appeared.

Anyway, RAM speed is crucial for AMD CPUs, where their Infiniy fabric inside the CPU is linked to the speed of DRAM. For Intel is not so important, you might gain no more than 1-2 fps by upgrading 2666 to 2933. For AMD would be like 5-10% left on the table instead.
Sir, you are just answered all my questions at a time.Thanks for the informations. :)

Macco26

Expert
Those Tongfang laptops don't use XMP sadly. They stick with Jedec rated speed at 1.2 V.
In all honesty those Tongfang have a flag in their Control Center that DO ADD in the BIOS, upon restart, the Overclocking RAM Advanced page. In theory a 2666 can be pushed to 2933 or 3200 maybe there.
If I have the chance I can post a picture to show it. I have no clue at RAM overclocking and there seems to be a lot of parameters. I barely know BCLK and CAS.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In all honesty those Tongfang have a flag in their Control Center that DO ADD in the BIOS, upon restart, the Overclocking RAM Advanced page. In theory a 2666 can be pushed to 2933 or 3200 maybe there.
If I have the chance I can post a picture to show it. I have no clue at RAM overclocking and there seems to be a lot of parameters. I barely know BCLK and CAS.
You don't need to overclock, it takes XMP's up to 3200MHz as advised previously.

Macco26

Expert
Once enabled those are the settings for Memory. XMP is not a chance. You have to input every single information. Which I am not touching unless really confident

mem1.jpg

mem2.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On laptops for a while now, you don't need to configure XMP's, the board auto XMP's to whatever the max supported is.

SODIMMS like corsair vengeance will auto XMP to whatever the board is able to or the max that the SODIMMS are rated for

We've found on previous TongFangs that they'll support 3200MHz. They may well support higher, but no one ever tried it.

Macco26

Expert
Ok by definition of overclocking I could have been interested to put a higher frequency THAN the one supported by the 2666 Mhz SODIMMs.
But seems the laptop is not capable of getting any XMP as they are blanks. So should I try to raise that to 2933.. How so? With all those numbers? Probably Memory Ratio?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok by definition of overclocking I could have been interested to put a higher frequency THAN the one supported by the 2666 Mhz SODIMMs.
But seems the laptop is not capable of getting any XMP as they are blanks. So should I try to raise that to 2933.. How so? With all those numbers? Probably Memory Ratio?
Memory overclocking is complicated if you’re not using XMP.

The RAM has to be rated for the overclock and quite frankly with XMP these days, you just don’t overclock it on a laptop.

Just buy the proper SODIMMS and it does it all for you.