Vyper 17 Slow on Battery

barlew

Godlike
My refund has finally been processed today ! They tried to keep 75Euros for scratches but reconsidered as I requested.
This has been a ride ! I'm very happy this is now done.
That didn't half take a long time! I'm glad you finally got your money back!

GiuFam

Guys, something is really strange here, my unit seems to not have anymore the problem. I was cleaning inside from dust having the laptop since the last july, i detacched some cables (battery and other cables near) to be safe, and then started again. I was lolled when tested if everything was alright as before cinebench in battery mode stayed at steady 2ghz, without any drop to 800mhz like it used to be. But can be even some windows updates maybe? Trust me guys, i don't know but seems to be actually fixed here. I have to test more if the laptop still perform like that even when battery is low (i was on 100% and i test till it was around 60% if i am not wrong).

I not proceeded to contact pcs to have refund because is my main pc for work, study and hobby, and i can't loose 2 months for be back, and actually the problem does not bother me too much cause i was using only for office and conference on battery, but now seems to be een fixed, i only don't know if is some windows updates or if detacching cables inside and reattaching fixed in some way the issue.

Only thing i know is that i am pretty happy about this unexpected thing.

GiuFam

Here's the proof of what i am saying, test with cinebench and heaven benchmark opened in background:

photo_2021-02-27_10-41-44.jpg

MarRaf

See what happens when the battery drops below 25% I would put money on the fault happening.
You are right man! At the beggining I had this problem also at full battery, toghether with an annoying keyboard stop working that have forced me to reboot many times, but after BIOS upgrade I didn't notice the drop in performance anymore and the keyboard issue only happen rarely. But now I tested under 30% battery and the fault is there. The problem is that I bought my Vyper in June 2020. Do you think that this fault with low level battery it would be enough to request a refund also after so long?

EDIT: Other strange behaviour are: when the laptop woke up from standby often the keyboard light doesn't switch ON automatically and sometimes according to HWmonitor the downvolt -51 is not working anymore forcing me to reboot to have it.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
You are right man! At the beggining I had this problem also at full battery, toghether with an annoying keyboard stop working that have forced me to reboot many times, but after BIOS upgrade I didn't notice the drop in performance anymore and the keyboard issue only happen rarely. But now I tested under 30% battery and the fault is there. The problem is that I bought my Vyper in June 2020. Do you think that this fault with low level battery it would be enough to request a refund also after so long?

EDIT: Other strange behaviour are: when the laptop woke up from standby often the keyboard light doesn't switch ON automatically and sometimes according to HWmonitor the downvolt -51 is not working anymore forcing me to reboot to have it.
I had the keyboard fault as well and it got worse after I installed the EC fix from PCS. I know its enough for a refund. I got mine refunded and if you read through this thread a lot of other people did too.

GiuFam

See what happens when the battery drops below 25% I would put money on the fault happening.

yes i did a couple of test this week and as you stated when battery go below 50-60% it starts to show the usual drops, even if not as severe as before. The more battery is low, more is pronunced this effect. The good thing is that is not as severe as it was before (i have very long drops and frequent, now at 50% are more infrequent than before on 100%), and for office use it work fine (youtube, word suite, chrome). Is a shame to can't use this laptop in high performance mode when on battery but i cannot stay 2 months without a working machine unfotunately, not having a decent backup pc to use in that time (i only have a i3 4004y dell venue pro 11 as backup machine, and basically i can't do nothing of work on it).

MarRaf

Hello guys, I want update you about my situation. I sent my Vyper 17 for RMA 1 months ago for the problems that I already mentioned, and finally yesterday they update the status and wrote that they changed the motherboard, updated the BIOS and did a clean windows installation and now are proceeding with the stressful test. If the laptop pass this test, it will be send back to me tomorrow, but for the CPU clock drop to 0.78G under battery they just say that it was a choice of design to obtain a balanced performance between battery and power, so it is not a issue. How is possible that now they are replying in this way, while many of you got a refund for the same issue? Any advice?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello guys, I want update you about my situation. I sent my Vyper 17 for RMA 1 months ago for the problems that I already mentioned, and finally yesterday they update the status and wrote that they changed the motherboard, updated the BIOS and did a clean windows installation and now are proceeding with the stressful test. If the laptop pass this test, it will be send back to me tomorrow, but for the CPU clock drop to 0.78G under battery they just say that it was a choice of design to obtain a balanced performance between battery and power, so it is not a issue. How is possible that now they are replying in this way, while many of you got a refund for the same issue? Any advice?
You need to ask for a refund if you’re not happy with that response.

barlew

Godlike
Point them to this thread and tell them it isn't a design choice because they spent months trying to fix it.

It only became a design choice when they realised the only fix would turn the battery into a fire risk.

It's all detailed in this thread by PCS themselves.

Tell them you do not accept their response, the laptop is not fit for purpose and you want a refund.

Charlas

Enthusiast
I've started to bump into this issue now, having to use the device out and about more and more recently, on power it's great (and tends to live it's life up till now hooked up to a Thunderbolt dock and 3 monitors) so the keyboard has not worn etc, but I just can't compile code at any sort of rate with it running this poorly when not tethered. Problem is I've had it over 12 month's now, even though did report an issue with performance back a couple months after purchase.

Been in touch they say send it in RMA and we will repair it, but after reading through, seems that's not possible, what you recon I should do?

barlew

Godlike
What @ubuysa says mate. Give them the chance to repair it then when it still doesn't work start the process of getting a replacement or refund/partial refund.

There is plenty of evidence on these forums where PCS have explicitly stated this is a known problem with the system.