Real Users' Benchmarks - Rank of PCS Laptops

Scanian

Bronze Level Poster
It's probably due to a change that you might have made on nvidia settings, like fixing Anisotropic filter or some other. I would try reinstalling the drivers using custom -> Clean install

I updated both my graphics driver and 3dmark to the latest version and that did the trick. Voilá!

Stock
Chassis and SpecFirestrike
3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL
Defiance V 17" / i7-8750H / RTX 2080 Max-Q16631212801403362°Link

A pretty decent score IMO. The talk about Max-Q just being screwing customers, doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Much the same as the full 2070, but cheaper, if I recall correctly.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I updated both my graphics driver and 3dmark to the latest version and that did the trick. Voilá!

Stock
3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL

A pretty decent score IMO. The talk about Max-Q just being screwing customers, doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Much the same as the full 2070, but cheaper, if I recall correctly.
Thanks, I'll update the rank. I agree with the good performance of the Max-Q 20 and 30 series, I'm just not sure about the pricing though. Because if the Max-Q 2080 has the 2080 chip and memory in it, then the price would be the same (or very close) to a full 2080. I might be wrong though, by I always understood it as the whole question on max-Q vs. max-P: if you want to have 2070 performance, why pay more for a 2080 max-Q instead of a cheaper 2070 max-P? But of course that other components and chassis materials will also impact the final price.

Scanian

Bronze Level Poster
That physics score for a laptop is fantastic :D

That's because those AMD laptop CPUs ARE fantastic. Everybody wants one, especially Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9. They are as good as Intel desktops except for the absolute top tier. I don't know if I am allowed to link to this score, but I just handed over a brand new laptop to a friend with a Ryzen 7 5800H. This score wasn't even in performance mode. I really hope PCS can start selling AMD based laptops soon.

Scanian

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, I'll update the rank. I agree with the good performance of the Max-Q 20 and 30 series, I'm just not sure about the pricing though. Because if the Max-Q 2080 has the 2080 chip and memory in it, then the price would be the same (or very close) to a full 2080. I might be wrong though, by I always understood it as the whole question on max-Q vs. max-P: if you want to have 2070 performance, why pay more for a 2080 max-Q instead of a cheaper 2070 max-P? But of course that other components and chassis materials will also impact the final price.

Well, no. Compared to the full 2080 or 3080, there is a huge price gap. About the 2070 Max-P vs. 2080 Max-Q or the 3000 equivalent, I am not sure. I think it's about the same. It's not like the price for the GPU is stated separately. You would have to play around with the configurator, which I may do, and get back. :)

pmarmotte

Bronze Level Poster
Those are indeed impressive results, almost on par with a RTX 2080 Super. Rank has now been updated. Thanks for sharing!

Could you please just confirm if your Ionico is a 15" or 17" one? The specs are basically the same, but might be important for people to know for thermal performance comparison reasons (as it is sometimes better on a 17").
It is a 17 inches sorry I forgot to mention

pmarmotte

Bronze Level Poster
Did you do this with the Nvidia Optimus disabled via CC or still channeled thru the iGPU? Would be interesting to know the difference, if applicable, given this laptop should have a MUX switch.
Here you have my CC settings

Attachments

• settings 1.jpg
    settings 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 217
  • settings 2.jpg
    settings 2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 206

Macco26

Expert
Ok so you used Display Mode = dGPU only I guess. Nice find.
PS: once you can, would you mind PM me your BIOS build? ty

barlew

Godlike

Stock
3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL

Was this using your highest level performance profile provided by Clevo? I reckon you should be getting a much higher result than that. Your Physics score is way off the mark for that chip and I would be expecting your 2080 to be getting a higher score too.

FerrariVie

Super Star
This gets better and better. With dGPU in bios and this options in beast mode

Updated on the rank (y) If you don't mind, might I ask why you didn't get the 2933Mhz memory? If that was only because you wanted 64gbs, I would say that unless you have a very unusual need for that, having 32Gbs is already overkill for most use cases and especially for gaming, where having a faster memory would be much more beneficial than going from 32 to 64Gbs.

pmarmotte

Bronze Level Poster
Updated on the rank (y) If you don't mind, might I ask why you didn't get the 2933Mhz memory? If that was only because you wanted 64gbs, I would say that unless you have a very unusual need for that, having 32Gbs is already overkill for most use cases and especially for gaming, where having a faster memory would be much more beneficial than going from 32 to 64Gbs.
I wanted 64 GB of ram as I do very heavy 3D rendering and After effects Particles and Element3D. Some scenes can get very heavy on ram quickly and the more Ram the more framed I can review :)
But yes that would be a warning to gamers, better go for 32 GB and take the 2933 memory

Macco26

Expert
2933 Mhz ram are being sold by PCS only since few days. Nobody with orders being shipped till now couldn't choose those in the configurator.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I wanted 64 GB of ram as I do very heavy 3D rendering and After effects Particles and Element3D. Some scenes can get very heavy on ram quickly and the more Ram the more framed I can review :)
But yes that would be a warning to gamers, better go for 32 GB and take the 2933 memory
I get it, that's reasonable enough (y)

Macco26

Expert

Here is my Ionico 17 RTX3070, fresh Windows installed, Throttlestop uV -.75, temporarily max Power Limits and Max Fans.
On top of a Cooling Pad.

Not bad, but lack of MUX can't push the GPU to the max...
But the CPU is very strong especially due to undervolt I guess stayed pretty cool after all. Throttlestop showed no more than 80°C CPU.

FerrariVie

Super Star

Here is my Ionico 17 RTX3070, fresh Windows installed, Throttlestop uV -.75, temporarily max Power Limits and Max Fans.
On top of a Cooling Pad.

But the CPU is very strong especially due to undervolt I guess stayed pretty cool after all. Throttlestop showed no more than 80°C CPU.
Your temps look really good indeed! Rank updated (y)

barlew

Godlike

On top of a Cooling Pad.

But the CPU is very strong especially due to undervolt I guess stayed pretty cool after all. Throttlestop showed no more than 80°C CPB

Believe it or not I would expect your CPU to be performing around 1k pts better than that.

Macco26

Expert
Believe it or not I would expect your CPU to be performing around 1k pts better than that.
In this RTX 30 incarnation probably by pushing the GPU to up to 140W there is less space for the CPU to stretch its legs . I could overextend the undervolt but.. I know 10th gen aren't as flexible as the past. A MSI GP75 10750H I got for few weeks locked with BSOD right after .75...
Probably 10875H is binned better, I could try to push a lil further, but won't think anything I do which requires so much CPU power.
The better juice to the GPU, the better.

Romain337

Ok so I had to do it...
-75Mv, PL1+2 at 120W, PL4 at 160W, Dynamic boost + 15W, max fan on: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59413610? (22444 Pts)
dGPU Only Off (Hybrid ON aka Optimus) But I ran it on an external monitor at 1080p.

edit: The same test only with the integrated panel: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59414030? (22148 Pts)

edit2:
Optimised turbo
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59427621 (21979 Pts)
PL1&2 65W
PL4 125W
Dynamic Boost +15W
CPU Core & Cache -100mv
Intel GPU -25mV

Optimised gaming:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59427941 (21484 Pts)
PL1&2 60W
PL4 125W
Dynamic Boost +10W
CPU Core & Cache -100mv
Intel GPU -25mV

To be safe with undervolt I use -75Mv on Core and Cache because -100Mv is a bit too much when it come to huge workload.

Last edited: