Ram OC

Ash_

Master Poster
It is definitely worth overclocking ram imo. Just i am cautious that most people on here, will be reluctant to even think about it 😆

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It is definitely worth overclocking ram imo. Just i am cautious that most people on here, will be reluctant to even think about it 😆
A week or two ago - I was on here waxing lyrical and indignantly insisting that I would never OC anything on my system. Perhaps it's the lockdown boredom kicking in, but I am now wondering what else to tinker with. Maybe I could refurb my PSU to convert it into an RMx1000? 🤔

I was going to blame everyone on the forum here for being a bad influence - but in reality it was one of those conversations where I say:

"I will never OC anything. I have no need and no interest."

"Don't ask me again. I already told you I won't do it."

"OK FINE! If it keeps you quiet then I'll have a quick look, but I'm not doing anything serious."

"Wow! That was so cool! I pushed it all the way until it crashed!"

And then, with time, I finally realise that it was a one way converstaion because no one else in the room actually spoke at all......they just stood there looking and thinking - "Idiot". :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 17413

Well... I went to have a play...wasnt as simple as I thought it might be!
Used DRAM calculator but I couldnt find all the info to fill everything out on it, so I didnt want to start changing timings settings without something telling me what to change them too as i've not done it before.
Got Thainphoon burner, gave me some stuff but I still had gaps (I had also spent 3 hours running Memtest to ensure it was all ok before I altered anything...)

Ill come back to it another day and have another go at it :(

Ash_

Master Poster
Used DRAM calculator but I couldnt find all the info to fill everything out on it, so I didnt want to start changing timings settings without something telling me what to change them too as i've not done it before.
Got Thainphoon burner, gave me some stuff but I still had gaps (I had also spent 3 hours running Memtest to ensure it was all ok before I altered anything...)

You don’t need to edit them all, although i’m not too sure how Asus bios works. Always benchmark before and then benchmark after, to verify you are going forwards and not backwards.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You don’t need to edit them all, although i’m not too sure how Asus bios works. Always benchmark before and then benchmark after, to verify you are going forwards and not backwards.
An integral part of benchmarking is resulting thermals to make sure thermal throttling isn't a factor, so monitor thermals whilst benchmarking.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master

I figured out that my Corsair RAM was B-die and used a 450 mobo option as it didn't have my 550 board. You can see my DRAM calculator settings in my previous post....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Also - benchmark your own workflows too - not just benchmarking apps. Make sure you are seeing useful returns for what you do rather than some obscure process that a benchmark might use but you never will.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
3600CL15. I tried for 14, but it lowered performance, i guess if i invested time and changed voltages etc, i could get CL14 - but verifying ram OC’s takes like 4 hours a time 🤣🤣
DAMN YOU @Ash_ !!!! :mad:

I tried reducing one step to CL15 for my OC'd RAM - no boot - DRAM Led on Mobo. Sigh. To be expected I suppose.... :rolleyes:

Unplug it all - clear CMOS - all back together - no boot - VGA Led on mobo. Ah Jesus. :oops: Must have kncoked the GPU when I was fiddling with the CMOS clear pin.

Unplug it all - reseat GPU - no boot - Boot LED on mobo this time - :mad: say some loud curse words relating to @Ash_ - add in one or two more about @Scott for good luck - seemed to do the trick - unplug it all - ensure M.2's are seated correctly - back into BIOS this time - confirmed boot media - all is well.

Thankfully, I had just discovered the Profile function within BIOS before all this - so I had saved all my previous settings and they weren't deleted with the CMOS reset - which was a surprise.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm not talking to either of you now. I hope you both have a nice life..... :cautious:

Ash_

Master Poster
DAMN YOU @Ash_ !!!! :mad:

I tried reducing one step to CL15 for my OC'd RAM - no boot - DRAM Led on Mobo. Sigh. To be expected I suppose.... :rolleyes:

Unplug it all - clear CMOS - all back together - no boot - VGA Led on mobo. Ah Jesus. :oops: Must have kncoked the GPU when I was fiddling with the CMOS clear pin.

Unplug it all - reseat GPU - no boot - Boot LED on mobo this time - :mad: say some loud curse words relating to @Ash_ - add in one or two more about @Scott for good luck - seemed to do the trick - unplug it all - ensure M.2's are seated correctly - back into BIOS this time - confirmed boot media - all is well.

Thankfully, I had just discovered the Profile function within BIOS before all this - so I had saved all my previous settings and they weren't deleted with the CMOS reset - which was a surprise.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm not talking to either of you now. I hope you both have a nice life..... :cautious:
Thank god for msi boards being able to sort themselves out in these situations 🤣🤣

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thank god for msi boards being able to sort themselves out in these situations 🤣🤣
How we survived back in the days of no mobo LEDs at all is a wonder!!

I was waiting for the CPU led to light up on the last attempt. I swear to God I was going to harass PCS until they gave me your number in that case.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I’m going to do it on saturday.... 14-15-16-34
Good Luck!

My RAM appears to have a rating of CL15 at the baseline 2133 MHz and CL16 at 3000 MHz - so perhaps my attempt to squeeze it to CL15 at a 3200 MHz OC was pushing my luck!

Ash_

Master Poster
Good Luck!

My RAM appears to have a rating of CL15 at the baseline 2133 MHz and CL16 at 3000 MHz - so perhaps my attempt to squeeze it to CL15 at a 3200 MHz OC was pushing my luck!
Mine is CL16 at 3600, so i am hoping it’s not too far to push. It boots at CL14, it just wasn’t running efficiently and was performing worse than CL15

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Mine is CL16 at 3600, so i am hoping it’s not too far to push. It boots at CL14, it just wasn’t running efficiently and was performing worse than CL15
Out of interest would you let me know if you can find out it's rated latency at the non-DOCP speed......

Ash_

Master Poster
I would not have a clue. I think it was running at 1600mhz without xmp enabled, so i assume like CL1 🤣🤣

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I would not have a clue. I think it was running at 1600mhz without xmp enabled, so i assume like CL1 🤣🤣
The only Corsair 3600 RAM I can find with a quick search that has CL16 is this one that's CL15 at 2133. I don't think you have the RGB set though?

It'll be ineteresting to see if you can find success at CL14 one way or the other!