Persuading SpyderTracks to Move to Scotland

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
You’ve got it all wrong, pal. We’re just big on Adidas and he was showing him his new trainers 👍
It's so obvious now when I see the guy on the ground is gently handling the trainer with the respect it deserves. How did I miss that?

I suppose then that the second fella in the background is just testing the lads jeans seat stitch strength for him while he's at it?

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's so obvious now when I see the guy on the ground is gently handling the trainer with the respect it deserves. How did I miss that?

I suppose then that the second fella in the background is just testing the lads jeans seat stitch strength for him while he's at it?
He's doing QC on his pants 😂

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Those are fantastic. Winter brings a whole new perspective on the landscape.
These are 2 prints that hang on my lounge wall, taken by a friend of mine, I forget exactly where in scotland they are

1618779795769.jpeg

1618779825145.jpeg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If @SpyderTracks is going anywhere he should come to Crete...

View attachment 25120
View attachment 25121
View attachment 25122
View attachment 25123
View attachment 25124
View attachment 25125
View attachment 25126
View attachment 25127
View attachment 25128

Different cameras of course and mostly just snapshots. If you like mountains and gorges then Crete is the place to be. The tallest mountain on the island (Psiloritis) is taller than Snowdon standing on the top of Ben Nevis...
God, that's stunning!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
But it does sound like an unfortunate medical condition.

Is that where the Cave of Zeus is located?
It's a difficult name to say without spitting. The early British explorers on the island called it Mount Ida.

There are two caves on Crete which both lay claim to being the birthplace of Zeus. One is the Ideon Andron cave on the slopes of Psiloritis - but that's an imposter. The real birthplace cave is the Dikteon Cave on the slopes of the Dikti mountains above the Lasithi Plateau (800m above sea level - 2624ft). This picture is of the Lasithi Plateau, taken on one of the many hill walks I lead in the winter. The Dikteon cave is in the hills off to the left of this image...

dsc_0171.jpg

The story of the birth of Zeus is a good one though. Zeus's father was Chronos (Father Time) and his parents were Uranus (the Sky Father) and Gaia (the Earth Mother). When Chronos became a man he overthrew his father Uranus and ruled the heavens and the Earth. Determined that the same would not happen to him, he ordered his wife Rhea to show every newborn child to him. The male children he swallowed so they would never be able to overthrow him.

When Rhea was pregnant with Zeus she gave birth to him in the remote Dikteon Cave and presented Chronos with a stone wrapped in swaddling clothes. Chronos swallowed the stone thinking he'd swallowed his son.

Zeus grew up alone in the cave, suckled by the she-goat Amalthea. When he reached adulthood he overthrew Chronos and himself ruled the heavens and the Earth. He released his nine brothers from Chronos's stomach and they became the Titans (you see the similarity with LOTR?).

I live in Lasithi province, which includes the plateau and the cave - so our cave is the real one. OK?

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's a difficult name to say without spitting. The early British explorers on the island called it Mount Ida.

There are two caves on Crete which both lay claim to being the birthplace of Zeus. One is the Ideon Andron cave on the slopes of Psiloritis - but that's an imposter. The real birthplace cave is the Dikteon Cave on the slopes of the Dikti mountains above the Lasithi Plateau (800m above sea level - 2624ft). This picture is of the Lasithi Plateau, taken on one of the many hill walks I lead in the winter. The Dikteon cave is in the hills off to the left of this image...

View attachment 25136

The story of the birth of Zeus is a good one though. Zeus's father was Chronos (Father Time) and his parents were Uranus (the Sky Father) and Gaia (the Earth Mother). When Chronos became a man he overthrew his father Uranus and ruled the heavens and the Earth. Determined that the same would not happen to him, he ordered his wife Rhea to show every newborn child to him. The male children he swallowed so they would never be able to overthrow him.

When Rhea was pregnant with Zeus she gave birth to him in the remote Dikteon Cave and presented Chronos with a stone wrapped in swaddling clothes. Chronos swallowed the stone thinking he'd swallowed his son.

Zeus grew up alone in the cave, suckled by the she-goat Amalthea. When he reached adulthood he overthrew Chronos and himself ruled the heavens and the Earth. He released his nine brothers from Chronos's stomach and they became the Titans (you see the similarity with LOTR?).

I live in Lasithi province, which includes the plateau and the cave - so our cave is the real one. OK?
Beautiful, I love anything to do with mythology the stories are fantastic

Bigfoot

Grand Master
But does Crete have anywhere like Loch Torridon? This is looking south from the single track road from Fasaig to Lower Diabaig. There are some good steep hills for @Martinr36 to exceed 38mph on, although ascent will be somewhat slower. This wasn’t the ideal time of day for a photo, but it was the time I was there.

47627813502_339cb354ba_b.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The upper West Coast of Scotland is one of my favourite places on the planet. On it's day, and I grant that these days can be rare, there isn't a better place to be on the planet.

Coming down the Applecross run with the mist rolling down the greenest peaks that spreads across your entire peripheral vision into a valley of twisting roads leading to various lakes and pools is just breath taking. Helps when you're a car nut and in a convoy of Supras mind you :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
But does Crete have anywhere like Loch Torridon? This is looking south from the single track road from Fasaig to Lower Diabaig. There are some good steep hills for @Martinr36 to exceed 38mph on, although ascent will be somewhat slower. This wasn’t the ideal time of day for a photo, but it was the time I was there.
This is a rubbish photo, but will Spinalonga Lagoon do? :cool:

cimg2661.jpg

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I went once at the isle of skye.
I have wonderfull memories from this place
My first trip to Skye was before the bridge was built. I caught the ferry from Kyle of Lochalsh to Kyleakin and then walked to Armadale. I camped there in clouds of highland midges before getting the small ferry to Mallaig and the train across the Glenfinnan viaduct. This was in the 1980s, well before anyone had heard of Harry Potter. Since the bridge was built, Skye has become much too busy. The best places take some effort to get to.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Eastern Scotland isn’t too bad either. This is Bennachie in the Misty distance, our local hill. It can be seen all over Aberdeenshire, despite not being all that high. It has an Iron Age hill fort, Roman remains and even a waterfall.

46764679245_75329e6f88_b.jpg