PSA: PCS Valeon, Ionico or Recoil 15 with AMD Zen3 CPU do support 3200 Mhz RAM. Screenshots

Macco26

Expert
Hey there,
Here I'm providing proof that any Tongfang laptop 2021 sold by PCS with AMD CPU do support DDR4 3200 Mhz even at CAS latencies lower than 22.

Case shown in example is from @Skyclear84 Valeon, which has been equipped with HyperX Impact 1,2v 3200 Mhz CL20.

These are the screenshots taken directly from his Valeon with AMD 5900HX CPU:
CPU-Z.jpg
Win.jpg

(you know that being DDR = Double Data Rate means 1597 x 2 + circa 3200; I added the Windows Task manager for additional proof, should you not know that)

Of course those sticks had to be bought outside the PCS configurator, as PCS has in stock only 2933 Mhz sticks max, that is the maximum supported by the Intel 10th gen. Not a limit for the Zen3 Integrated Memory Controller, though.

Hope this clears the air once and for all.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm just going to point out that you're reaching a tad when you claim that ANY Tongfang laptop 2021 sold by PCS with AMD CPU supports 3200MHz RAM, because you have only a single example. You can certainly rightly claim that this particular laptop supports 3200MHz RAM and could quite justifiably claim that it's likely therefore that most TongFang laptops should support 3200MHz RAM.

One swallow does not make a summer, and you need to be wary of claiming proof based on a sample size of one. :)

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I wonder what the performance gain would be from 2666 Mhz or even 2933 Mhz for Zen3

Bhuna50

Author Level
I'm just going to point out that you're reaching a tad when you claim that ANY Tongfang laptop 2021 sold by PCS with AMD CPU supports 3200MHz RAM, because you have only a single example. You can certainly rightly claim that this particular laptop supports 3200MHz RAM and could quite justifiably claim that it's likely therefore that most TongFang laptops should support 3200MHz RAM.

One swallow does not make a summer, and you need to be wary of claiming proof based on a sample size of one. :)

I cant see it in black and white, but if amending the speed of your RAM bricked your laptop - would it be covered under warranty or fall under the not using in line with manufacturers recommendations?

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I cant see it in black and white, but if amending the speed of your RAM bricked your laptop - would it be covered under warranty or fall under the not using in line with manufacturers recommendations?

Why would upgrading memory brick a laptop ? If they run at the same voltage and use the same standards they should work at the highest speed allowed by CPU memory management .

Macco26

Expert

Tongfang is clever. motherboards are the same. Intel Elimina pro 17 has the same BIOS than Intel Ionico 15 as an example. Even if former has 10750h and 3060 and latter 10875 and 3070.
You should start knowing me by now: If I claim something, chances are I have some background of it, or I would stay silent.
But anybody with Ionico and Recoil 15 can further prove it with replies here with their screenshots if they have.

Macco26

Expert
As Krysta said. DRam has several jedec speeds. You can buy a 3200 Mhz stick for your Intel Ionico and it won't brick anything. It will downgrade at 2933 because of Intel. Not the case with Zen3. If you ask for RMA for any reason, well sure you have to show the defect to PCS with stock PCS RAM you've kept, but that would apply even if you bought outside 2 32gb 2933 sticks they don't sell. Because they are not part of their order.

Bhuna50

Author Level
As Krysta said. DRam has several jedec speeds. You can buy a 3200 Mhz stick for your Intel Ionico and it won't brick anything. It will downgrade at 2933 because of Intel. Not the case with Zen3. If you ask for RMA for any reason, well sure you have to show the defect to PCS with stock PCS RAM you've kept, but that would apply even if you bought outside 2 32gb 2933 sticks they don't sell. Because they are not part of their order.

I admit Im an overclocking/underclocking virgin in trying to fiddle around with settings myself, as whenever I did it back in the 2000's, I always broke things LOL.

I just think when posting about changing things such as this or when suggesting installing your own RAM etc customers should be aware that it may have adverse effects on their warranty entitlements, such as in section 7.8:

"- If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;"

Now it might be an extremely unlikely event and small risk anything would happen, but people need to be aware so that they can take that assessment / appetite for risk themselves and not think that just because John Smith did it, they can...

Macco26

Expert
I admit Im an overclocking/underclocking virgin in trying to fiddle around with settings myself, as whenever I did it back in the 2000's, I always broke things LOL.

I just think when posting about changing things such as this or when suggesting installing your own RAM etc customers should be aware that it may have adverse effects on their warranty entitlements, such as in section 7.8:

"- If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;"

Now it might be an extremely unlikely event and small risk anything would happen, but people need to be aware so that they can take that assessment / appetite for risk themselves and not think that just because John Smith did it, they can...
Yes same if you buy an additional SSD. Considering this contract rule applies also to their desktops, well, I would steer from them if they strictly apply to the letter.
Luckily they're more open that what's written there, else they'd seal their PC, for once

Bhuna50

Author Level
Yes same if you buy an additional SSD. Considering this contract rule applies also to their desktops, well, I would steer from them if they strictly apply to the letter.
Luckily they're more open that what's written there, else they'd seal their PC, for once
Not if you buy the SSD from them

Macco26

Expert
Whatever (also maybe I should start buying USB pens from there, after all.. ;) )
This thread is just to understand what the Tongang AMD (Valeon as an example) can support out of the box.

Being a stick bought from PCS or not is a thing just of the current times. I am pretty sure very soon PCS will start selling same 3200 Mhz DRAM sticks, especially because also Intel Tigerlake H45 will finally support it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You should start knowing me by now: If I claim something, chances are I have some background of it, or I would stay silent.
Did you stop and think before you wrote that? The arrogance here is breathtaking.

I think you should consider the company you're keeping on here and remember that pride comes before a fall.