Apple Music adds support for hi-res audio and Spatial Audio

• Thread starter Deleted member 41971
  • Start date

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
cool, seems a good upgrade although confusing what devices will and wont play

It’s pointless without a DAC, which is another £100 at least for an entry level mobile DAC like the Dragonfly Black.

All Apple products have terrible on board sound and wouldn’t be able to produce the frequencies that benefit high res.

Spatial audio is very cool though, something the others in the main do not have. But again, you need the hardware to support it.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Pity Apple's own speakers/headphones don't support their Hi-Res codec...Apple's excuse is that "Audiophiles will already have a DAC and audiophile-grade equipment anyway".

Sounds to me like Apple are telling you not to buy expensive Apple audio gear if you really value the quality of your audio - but I'll assume most audiophiles don't buy Apple AirPods or Beats or Homepods.

For my use in the car, or via Shure wired earbuds, 128kbps MP4 is 'good enough'.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I wonder if this move actually pushes Apple to implement studio quality DACS and soundcards into their pro lineup, something that I just can’t understand why they haven’t done it before.

That would indeed separate them from the pack. There are a few Android handsets that have decent DACs built in, but only a couple.