Currying Favour

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Mrs C and I have both had a tough week at work and cooking wasn’t on the cards for either of us. So we ordered a curry... and it was glorious. I’d have taken pictures but I was so excited about the meal that I just head butted my plate and started chewing.

As my stomach gently purrs away in satisfaction, I’d like to ask a question to you fellow forum creepers - how do you like your curries?

Mrs Cooper doesn’t deal well with hot food so tends to order something mild, often a korma (which I can’t abide because it contains coconut, the unloved stepchild of the nut world. It’s essentially edible flaky nature dandruff and it needs to be stopped).

Whereas I like my food spicy. I won’t settle for anything less than a Madras and will sit there grinning like a village idiot as my face turns red and beads of sweat form on my brow.

Which team are you on?

Team; ‘try this, it’s full of gentle but rich flavour’

Or...

Team; ‘infuse the loo roll with morphine - there’s carnage ahead’

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Jalfrezi was my go to curry. I like hot curries, but they don’t like me any more. I seem to have an allergic type reaction to chillies. The best Indian food I have eaten was actually in Ajman in the UAE. The hotel has 7 restaurants including an Indian restaurant with open kitchen. There was no cutlery and we ate with our hands. Many of the meat dishes didn’t come drowned in sauce, but were eaten alongside daal and naan bread. Great food and a great atmosphere. It was always a restaurant of choice if we had a team visiting our office in Sharjah. I no longer work for that company, so don’t get to visit the UAE regularly now.

I also liked Thai curries. They are quite different to their Indian cousins.

MrWilson

Godlike
Jalfrezi is the go to for me as well.
Big fan of thai curries, although if I make it myself I go a little easier on the spice. Thai Green Lamb Curry is lovely on a cold winter's day.

Once in school a friend ordered a bunch of ghost chillis and we all decided to eat one each together. Despite preparing with a full litre of yogurt to hand, I was not prepared for the pain it would endure. Following this we had a PSHE talk and just sitting there I could feel a ball of flame slowly searing its way down my digestive tract.

This leads on nicely to the end result of curries and spice in general; while enjoyable on entry, they are rather painful on exit.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Jalfrezi is the go to for me as well.
Big fan of thai curries, although if I make it myself I go a little easier on the spice. Thai Green Lamb Curry is lovely on a cold winter's day.

Once in school a friend ordered a bunch of ghost chillis and we all decided to eat one each together. Despite preparing with a full litre of yogurt to hand, I was not prepared for the pain it would endure. Following this we had a PSHE talk and just sitting there I could feel a ball of flame slowly searing its way down my digestive tract.

This leads on nicely to the end result of curries and spice in general; while enjoyable on entry, they are rather painful on exit.
I went to a chilli fest a few years ago, they had this tent with a couple of medics inside, and were giving free tries of two little spray bottles, one called “5 minute burn” and the other “15 minute burn”. You had to sign a release form before you could try it, and the usual heart conditions and pregnancy weren’t allowed.

All you did was spray it on your tongue and enjoy the ride. I did the 5 minute burn and it took me about a week to recover.

One older guy who was ahead of us in the line actually fainted and was taken out by the medics in a stretcher. He was fine, he had just fainted, nothing more.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I went to a chilli fest a few years ago, they had this tent with a couple of medics inside, and were giving free tries of two little spray bottles, one called “5 minute burn” and the other “15 minute burn”. You had to sign a release form before you could try it, and the usual heart conditions and pregnancy weren’t allowed.

All you did was spray it on your tongue and enjoy the ride. I did the 5 minute burn and it took me about a week to recover.

One older guy who was ahead of us in the line actually fainted and was taken out by the medics in a stretcher. He was fine, he had just fainted, nothing more.
OMG, it was 10 minute burn, not 15, and they actually sell it, but apparently it was banned from festivals, guessing that's what the guy who passed out tried!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I can’t even enter a Thai restaurant, the sheer amount of coconut milk they use in the food is unreal. It’s like Thailand and coconuts hate me and are openly mocking me.

2087843E-A711-4EC5-9A5B-1E9B6B095675.gif

loso64

Mrs C and I have both had a tough week at work and cooking wasn’t on the cards for either of us. So we ordered a curry... and it was glorious. I’d have taken pictures but I was so excited about the meal that I just head butted my plate and started chewing.

As my stomach gently purrs away in satisfaction, I’d like to ask a question to you fellow forum creepers - how do you like your curries?

Mrs Cooper doesn’t deal well with hot food so tends to order something mild, often a korma (which I can’t abide because it contains coconut, the unloved stepchild of the nut world. It’s essentially edible flaky nature dandruff and it needs to be stopped).

Whereas I like my food spicy. I won’t settle for anything less than a Madras and will sit there grinning like a village idiot as my face turns red and beads of sweat form on my brow.

Which team are you on?

Or...

one of my top favorite curries i make is Peanut Butter Chicken Curry. It is quite mild, but oh boy so flavorful

I had a phaal in spain at the height of summer my first and last what can only be described as like a heat induced acid trip followed where I was wandering around drunk to my dad and brothers bewilderment not having touched a drop of alcohol now I wont go past a madras but I find kormas to be disgusting dunno what it is the taste is vile :( love a poppadom !!!!!

loso64

That sounds interesting... can we have the recipe please? Or is it a closely guarded @loso64 family secret? 🤫
not at all. here you go. Peanut Curry Chicken by cheff John from Food Wishes. I do tweak the spices a bit for my own taste. But I suggest to try the original recipe first. Oh and the lime is very important at the end. DO NOT SKIP ON LIME JUICE, it rounds out the flavour so well.

Original Recipe is very mild, i make it more spicy

not at all. here you go. Peanut Curry Chicken by cheff John from Food Wishes. I do tweak the spices a bit for my own taste. But I suggest to try the original recipe first. Oh and the lime is very important at the end. DO NOT SKIP ON LIME JUICE, it rounds out the flavour so well.

Im actually going to try this :) ty

The top comment for that video is to play it at half speed cos the guy sounds drunk can confirm this is true :)

loso64

Oh and btw, because there is no Cream or Diary product in this recipe, it is very easy to scale it up and freeze portions. I usually make it for like 10-16 people so me and my girlfriend eat it for two days and than have like 5-6 days worth of food portioned in the freezer for lazy times.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Which team are you on?

Or...

I think I probably sit on the fence of these two camps. My go-to would be a Chicken Balti Bhuna (or any combination of the words) with tonnes of rice and a chapati. It's defineitely not the spicest of curries but it's also not spiceless, I find it a very nice mix between flavour and spice, I recommend a try!

Leading on from @MrWilson 's point of curries from other countries, I'd happily destroy a Chicken Katsu Curry

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think I probably sit on the fence of these two camps. My go-to would be a Chicken Balti Bhuna (or any combination of the words) with tonnes of rice and a chapati. It's defineitely not the spicest of curries but it's also not spiceless, I find it a very nice mix between flavour and spice, I recommend a try!

Leading on from @MrWilson 's point of curries from other countries, I'd happily destroy a Chicken Katsu Curry
Katsu is a religious experience!