Build advice 3080

SpeedyRoberto

Hi All!
Would appreciate some help. Software guy with little hardware knowledge. Been tweaking this order since March. At about 66 days waiting which means I should be getting delivery by August (fingers crossed). Is there anything in my setup you would recommend changing?
Apologies for the screenshot if that's annoying. I tried to get the spec from viewing the order but it only captured original order (possibly a limitation doing this from phone).
Many thanks, appreciate the advice!
144hz 1440 LG monitor
Play games online with pals, and VR (Quest 2), don't stream.
Budget... I could probably put another few quid in if it was going to make a difference.
More concerned I'm creating bottlenecks with my lack of PC building knowledge!
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210610-223022_Chrome_01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210610-223022_Chrome_01.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi All!
Would appreciate some help. Software guy with little hardware knowledge. Been tweaking this order since March. At about 66 days waiting which means I should be getting delivery by August (fingers crossed). Is there anything in my setup you would recommend changing?
Apologies for the screenshot if that's annoying. I tried to get the spec from viewing the order but it only captured original order (possibly a limitation doing this from phone).
Many thanks, appreciate the advice!
Hi there! Would you be able to start your own thread for advice? Simply go to the forum homepage and press "Post Thread" in green and post under the "Check this spec!" category.

How to post your spec can be found here (if you scroll down it'll show you how to do it if you've already ordered)

When you do post there, would you be able to provide us with your budget, use case and the monitor(s) you'll be using (either make and model or resolution and refresh rate)? That'll be super helpful for us!

Thanks!

SpeedyRoberto

Hi there! Would you be able to start your own thread for advice? Simply go to the forum homepage and press "Post Thread" in green and post under the "Check this spec!" category.

How to post your spec can be found here (if you scroll down it'll show you how to do it if you've already ordered)

When you do post there, would you be able to provide us with your budget, use case and the monitor(s) you'll be using (either make and model or resolution and refresh rate)? That'll be super helpful for us!

Thanks!
Oh damn! Sorry about that!! Will do, thanks for the advice and for being so polite haha. I'm a total narb in the realm of forums and posting (and it shows)🤣. Thanks!

SpeedyRoberto

Hi All!

Looking for some advice on the below build. Made a lot of tweaks at this stage! Ordered in March but getting close... I hope!
I have a 1440 (2k?) 144hz monitor and plan on using it with my Quest 2 and, for non VR gaming.
I know I'm probably going OTT on the RAM but currently have a very old pc and don't want to go through this for a looong time if at all possible. So, trying to future proof.
As for budget, I think I went over that on my 3rd tweak to the system lol.
Really appreciate the advice! Many thanks pals!
J
Text version 🙃
Case COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH ARGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10850K (3.6GHz) 20MB Cache
MotherboardGigabyte Z490 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI, Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX, Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive4TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 50cm ARGB LED Strip
Sound CardAsus Xonar AE 7.1-Channel Gaming Audio Card
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardNOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]

SpeedyRoberto

Absolutely brilliant 🤣🤣 was mulling over the past week on whether or not I should try this 'posting on the forum' lark... not disappointed. Unlike our pal AgentCooper 🙈. If not for PC advice, the laugh was well worth it. Gas lads, thanks for the laugh. 👍🏽

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
@AgentCooper loves things like this :ROFLMAO:

Another unrelated story from me today - one of the GPs I work with has recently had her consulting room refurbished and she’s been trying to get the room to a place where she’s happy with it. When she was at my desk last week she commented on how neat my station was and asked if I could help her get all her computer cables hidden away. Naturally, I dropped everything and two hours later, her desk was looking immaculate.

It might be incredibly lame of me to think this as I’ve vaccinated hundreds of people this year… but that cable job is probably the thing I’m most proud of in 2021 so far 🙃

SpeedyRoberto

Another unrelated story from me today - one of the GPs I work with has recently had her consulting room refurbished and she’s been trying to get the room to a place where she’s happy with it. When she was at my desk last week she commented on how neat my station was and asked if I could help her get all her computer cables hidden away. Naturally, I dropped everything and two hours later, her desk was looking immaculate.

It might be incredibly lame of me to think this as I’ve vaccinated hundreds of people this year… but that cable job is probably the thing I’m most proud of in 2021 so far 🙃
😁 nice... Best tip I stumbled upon this year is to velcro the multi-plug to the bottom of the desk, zero cables on the floor...bliss. Courtesy of JayTwoCents, so simple, but genius.