Euro 2020 (21) Who's gonna win?

rouchie

Rising Star
The Euros kick off tomorrow, so who do you think will win it? I got England in our office sweepstake and i actually fancy my chances (Delusional, moi?)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is one of the few times where, on paper at least, England actually have a shot......... even from sets of eyes outside of England :D

I'm going to keep my rose tinted glasses on and say that England are going to have a mare, Scotland are going to beat them 2-0. Scotland will then go down in a blaze of glory and get beat by every team lower than them while making a good account of themselves against the better opposition. England will be shaken by the defeat, make it to the last 16 and then come up short.

France to win, Mbappe for player of the tournament, 72 goals and at least 3 streakers over the piece. I'm hoping for hot ones.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I got Slovakia in my sweepstake at work. I think it will need quite a lot of Covid outbreaks (possibly 22 other teams) to make my ideal North Macedonia-Slovakia final happen.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That Portugal team is hard to look past, Belgium look Solid, the Gerrys are always a force with the Spanish always being a threat.

England will choke and fall apart as usual, France team will all end up at each other throats as usual and the Scots may in fact shock a few of us. That's my predictions

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
Bagged Germany in work sweeps, don't fancy them much if I'm honest.

Naturally, being from the UK, it's coming home! but, France look a force to be reckoned with and Belgium just keep getting stronger so good contenders there.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
France. It pains me to admit it, but I can only see Mrs Cooper doing her most Frenchest of laughs and parping La Marseillaise directly into my ear with a vuvuzela come 11th July. Kante's playing like a man possessed, Benzema and Mbappe will be scoring for fun and there's real strength in depth across the whole squad.

Belgium are also strong but they have a tendency to slowly collapse like a flan in a cupboard. Their best players are all in their late twenties / early thirties now, they've got the Euros and next years Word Cup to actually win something before they're past their prime years. Whether that thought will spur them on, I don't know.

I just don't know about England... very talented bunch but I still think there's too many defenders in that squad, even if they are planning to go with five at the back. I really want them to do well but have this niggling feeling that Southgate will stick by Raheem Sterling, who'll attempt 43 shots during the group stage with only 2 of those being on target.

And aside from his prediction about the England game, I think @Scott has nailed it with his assessment of how Scotland's campaign will go. The international side is in better shape than it has been in years and it's good to see them coming along but they've still got that dangerous air of unpredictability about them.

Surprise package of the tournament: Turkey, they look like they're ready to get in amongst it. And a lot like the Scots; they'll set aboot ye.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
This is one of the few times where, on paper at least, England actually have a shot......... even from sets of eyes outside of England :D

I'm going to keep my rose tinted glasses on and say that England are going to have a mare, Scotland are going to beat them 2-0. Scotland will then go down in a blaze of glory and get beat by every team lower than them while making a good account of themselves against the better opposition. England will be shaken by the defeat, make it to the last 16 and then come up short.

France to win, Mbappe for player of the tournament, 72 goals and at least 3 streakers over the piece. I'm hoping for hot ones.
No chance. England have infiltrated the Scotland squad with Che Adams from my home town club. He will contrive to score a hat trick of own goals when Scotland face England 🤣

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
So glad to hear that Erikson is conscious and stable, that was awful to watch. Respect to both teams for being able to get their heads together enough to play the rest of the match.

Even though a shocking event has overshadowed the match, it was a lovely moment to see the standing ovation they got when they returned to the field.

Get well soon, Christian!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So glad to hear that Erikson is conscious and stable, that was awful to watch. Respect to both teams for being able to get their heads together enough to play the rest of the match.

Even though a shocking event has overshadowed the match, it was a lovely moment to see the standing ovation they got when they returned to the field.

Get well soon, Christian!
I'm not a football man at all, but read about him collapsing on my news feed, so glad he's ok, that sounded pretty bad.

rouchie

Rising Star
I was watching on TV and have to say the way his team mates looked out for him and his partner was amazing, I already thought Kasper Schmeichel was a great human being, but he and his team mates were really good in an awful situation

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I thought the reaction from the players and the fans was absolutely astounding. I wasn't so enamoured with the coverage on the pitch though, I didn't see any need for the millions of viewers to be watching it unfold.

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
I thought the reaction from the players and the fans was absolutely astounding. I wasn't so enamoured with the coverage on the pitch though, I didn't see any need for the millions of viewers to be watching it unfold.
Yeah shocking from BBC & UEFA to keep the cameras rolling, especially panning over to his wife.

Outstanding from the players, especially Kjaer who made sure he hadn't swallowed his tongue and put him in the right position, instructed the wall to block vision. Also shouts to the ref for stopping the game and getting medics on so god damn fast.

I remember watching the same thing happen in 2012 with Muamba, absolutely horrible to watch and glad they've both made a recovery from technically being dead.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Gutted at the draw, England were on the ropes there :ROFLMAO:

Wrecked my prediction too, but the rest still stands :D

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Gutted at the draw, England were on the ropes there :ROFLMAO:

Wrecked my prediction too, but the rest still stands :D
Being a halfbreed, I’m quite happy with that result. The English in me is a bit disappointed at an ultimately toothless performance, the Scot is disappointed that they didn’t get more of a result. But it leaves both teams in a position to progress if the final round of matches play out in their favour.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Being a halfbreed, I’m quite happy with that result. The English in me is a bit disappointed at an ultimately toothless performance, the Scot is disappointed that they didn’t get more of a result. But it leaves both teams in a position to progress if the final round of matches play out in their favour.
I've skipped halfbreed and gone full-mongrel, I have Irish grandparents and some Welsh great-grandparents. I'm pretty much onto a winner in the Six Nations most years, but football tournaments are a bugger!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I've skipped halfbreed and gone full-mongrel, I have Irish grandparents and some Welsh great-grandparents. I'm pretty much onto a winner in the Six Nations most years, but football tournaments are a bugger!
Good grief! You’ve had a good old swim around in the gene pool!

‘Who you rooting for this year, Denz?’

2B87D564-0463-49EC-B245-C9F1C959BB67.gif

rouchie

Rising Star
That was a poor show from England, taking nothing away from Scotlands performance, we had a complete lack of aggression and could have done with some of the spirit displayed by our sweaty friends