Early Access games

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
As well as trying not to pre-order games, I typically don't buy Early Access games as I've been burned a few times by buying a game only for it to be abandoned long before it's finished. That being said, every so often a game grabs my attention. This post is pretty much just for myself as a reminder to check in on a particular game in future. By all means throw in other Early Access games that you've found if you want.

Natural Instincts released today on EA and looks to be a casual sandbox simulation with you building up a mini ecosystem in the forests of Europe. Looks like it could be fun, but still needs a lot of work going by the dev stream I was watching earlier and the first few reviews.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Oo-er. It seems (to me anyway) that Early Access (or EA... no, not THAT EA*, ugh) games are getting a tougher prospect and sell every year that passes.

I don't have any EA's I've bought recently, though I have preordered one major thing this year... Total War: Warhammer 3 (but tbh I was down for the whole series as soon as the first one dropped) I last got Ultimate General: Civil War and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts on EA and yeah... the former is long finished and good enough for me to put 600 and some hours in, while the latter is shaping up but taking a long time.

Well, I'll just put this out in the hope this thread goes places but I am looking at some EA games rn on Steam. They might be my kind of thing but without demo's or more than a 2 hour refund limit for the kinds of game they are, it's still a risk... but y'know sometimes you see a game and it just clicks with you, at least in the trailer or liveplays.
Anyway... Space Haven, The Last Spell, Industries of Titan... anybody able to talk 'em up?

* as for THAT EA... I have EA Play with XBGP and rn I'm not using either. There's a couple that might be worth a play sometime but I'm all queued up with Steam backlog and Epic freebies for a while (and am looking really hard at RDR2 while it's on sale) Might as well cancel my sub for now.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Oo-er. It seems (to me anyway) that Early Access (or EA... no, not THAT EA*, ugh) games are getting a tougher prospect and sell every year that passes.

I don't have any EA's I've bought recently, though I have preordered one major thing this year... Total War: Warhammer 3 (but tbh I was down for the whole series as soon as the first one dropped) I last got Ultimate General: Civil War and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts on EA and yeah... the former is long finished and good enough for me to put 600 and some hours in, while the latter is shaping up but taking a long time.

Well, I'll just put this out in the hope this thread goes places but I am looking at some EA games rn on Steam. They might be my kind of thing but without demo's or more than a 2 hour refund limit for the kinds of game they are, it's still a risk... but y'know sometimes you see a game and it just clicks with you, at least in the trailer or liveplays.
Anyway... Space Haven, The Last Spell, Industries of Titan... anybody able to talk 'em up?

* as for THAT EA... I have EA Play with XBGP and rn I'm not using either. There's a couple that might be worth a play sometime but I'm all queued up with Steam backlog and Epic freebies for a while (and am looking really hard at RDR2 while it's on sale) Might as well cancel my sub for now.
Yeah, Early Access games do seem to be becoming a tougher prospect, but there are some definite potential gems among them, if only they develop the way you'd hope.

I was aware of two of the three you suggested. The Last Spell looks pretty good and something I'd probably enjoy.

Yeah, as for THAT EA, I try to avoid them, but they lure me in every so often, Mass Effect, Dragon Age among others!

Bhuna50

Author Level
An EA game I have really enjoyed playing is Satisfactory which is factory simulation game. It is a 3D first-person open world exploration and factory building game.

I don’t mind EA games when it’s the smaller programmer / small production company that obviously has to do it to generate funds to keep the game production going AND they are not greedy in the price they are asking. The odd £10/£15 on an EA game that takes my fancy every few months is just a gamble I’m willing to take.

What I dislike is the EA games that larger production companies are now sending out there at £50+ just because they haven’t ironed out the bugs yet so they call it EA. If companies want to test it then Beta test it not EA it at £50+

Baldurs Gate 3 is one I am waiting for BUT I won’t buy it in EA [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've bought a couple of EA games over the last few years, I've mostly come away disappointed to be honest but one I bought recently Gunfire Reborn

I've put over 200 hours into in the few months since I've bought it and I'm still playing it. It's the perfect chill out and play FPS arena shooter with roguelike elements to help each run feel a little different

Plus decent content updates that generally drop earlier than the devs say with more content than they advertise which is a nice surprise.

I'd strongly recommend Gunfire Reborn even though it's still in EA, it's more polished than full release games and there's still more content on the horizon