Please beware, New World MMO beta can cause permanent damage to GPU

loso64

Me loading every new game since the news
gotta enable global FPS cap via RivaTuner :D especially if you use gsync or freesync, having max fps 3-5 fps below max refresh rate is good, as it forces those technologies to be always on and have all the benefits.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Makes me panic when loading games such as Gmod now...sometimes see it hit 900fps on the loading screen so I guess it's time to add an fps limit there 😳

loso64

Makes me panic when loading games such as Gmod now...sometimes see it hit 900fps on the loading screen so I guess it's time to add an fps limit there 😳
if you got 3090 EVGA, definitely do that, from my understanding that was the main cause of the issue, bad safety features on the card and unlimited fps in loading.

loso64

Me trying my games one by one since the 3080Ti FE went in (with the Corsair 12-pin GPU cable).
well it depends how that cable is made. If it is designed to handle 300W of power, all is good. If that cable is designed for 150W and it is literally daisy chained 2x6 pins at the end, you risk a melt of those cables. This is why it is not advised to ever daisy chain power cables, but use one cable per plug

loso64

in my old pc i had 2x8 pin as one single cable, but i was using 1080TI so it was fine. My gf just got a brand new 6800xt, and for that card we decided to double the cables. As this new card has much higher wattage usage it seems

rouchie

Rising Star
Me loading every new game since the news
well it depends how that cable is made. If it is designed to handle 300W of power, all is good. If that cable is designed for 150W and it is literally daisy chained 2x6 pins at the end, you risk a melt of those cables. This is why it is not advised to ever daisy chain power cables, but use one cable per plug
I'm gonna be like that waiting for the DPD man, let alone what I will be like when I play any new games going forward! Think I will follow @loso64 advice and get RivaTuner once my rig arrives

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It’s a well designed bit of kit, Corsair don’t mess around when it comes to that kind of thing.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You mean I didn't have to spend an hour undoing all those cable ties, removing the HDD & cage to get to the back of the PSU!!!!!!!!!!!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
well as long as it is designed to handle 300W as two 150W cables combined, no problem there :)
So, as the FE 3080Ti can draw up to 350w (without OC) then I was correct to buy the 2xPCIe to 12-pin cable then!

Got something right, at last (y)

loso64

So, as the FE 3080Ti can draw up to 350w (without OC) then I was correct to buy the 2xPCIe to 12-pin cable then!

Got something right, at last (y)
the PCIe slot itself can provide somewhere around 75-100W of power, the corsair kit cable that was linked here is supposed to handle 300W, so it is really all you need

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
good on them, they know they screwed up. Would not be surprised if there was a market recall on those cards to be fair. It is some fatal flaw in design.
EVGA have not had the best run of it in recent times, the 1000 series were missing thermal pads and overheated leading to throttling and failure.

Now this.

Not good.

darksider

Bronze Level Poster
Just got my new 3090 build a couple of days ago and now i'm reading about this; its not good for my heart!

Seriously though, what stuff can I do to try and make a bricking as unlikely as possible?

I mean, i'm not touching new world with a bargepole but Anno 1800 is my bag.

Is putting Vsync on in games enough? Should I go into geforce control panel and find the max frames setting instead? Do both?

Can someone calm an old man down? :p