Windows 11

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Windows 11 free upgrade now showing in the build configuration tool, although I can't amend my pre production order to include this and my invoice doesn't show it.
I'm assuming that it will apply to anyone's order that hasn't gone to the build /finalisation stage yet even.

Waiting on confirmation of this from PCS.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows 11 free upgrade now showing in the build configuration tool, although I can't amend my pre production order to include this and my invoice doesn't show it.
I'm assuming that it will apply to anyone's order that hasn't gone to the build /finalisation stage yet even.

Waiting on confirmation of this from PCS.
Windows 11 is a feee upgrade anyway, you don’t need anything from PCS for it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah.... So it's not really an issue then... Just more of a sales incentive to buy the OS from PCS
If you have bought windows 10, there’s no need to buy windows 11, it’s a free upgrade. I’m guessing PCS are just saying they’ll help you out with installation or something.

dogbot

Bright Spark
Windows 11 is still in development and only available in the Insider Program for test purposes. If you do join the program, do not use your main computer for testing as W11 is still buggy and you will need to know what you are doing.
I have looked at a configurator for a laptop at random and PCS says :-

Get a FREE Upgrade to Windows 11 (when available, see below).
Upgrade rollout plan is being finalised and is scheduled to begin in late 2021 and continue into 2022. Specific timing will vary by device. Certain features require specific hardware, see https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications.

In other words, W11 will probably be released to the public in late 2021. Currently not all recent computers meet the W11 hardware specifications and PCS will be working on this to ensure their computers do meet the specs after the W11 release and into 2022.

flakeylime

any know if windows 11 will finally allow me to remove cortana for good? got it blocked by registry edit but i really hate the fact i know it's still running.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
any know if windows 11 will finally allow me to remove cortana for good? got it blocked by registry edit but i really hate the fact i know it's still running.
I’ve disabled it on mine, it’s very easy to do.

But in windows 11, cortana isn’t even on there, they’ve ditched it entirely (for now)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yup it's off on mine but every now and then i get the feeling its lurking in the background.
If you've fully disabled it, then it prevents the service from running completely permanently.

If you've only done the temp disable, then the service is still running, but the voice activation is disabled.

mdwh

Enthusiast
I wish I could get rid of the phone clippy-assistants as easily, Google Assistant, Bixby and so on.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That was really interesting, thanks for posting!

I've immediately grabbed a copy of Windows Terminal, wish I'd known about that before - as a pretty big command line user I've been waiting for something like that for a while. It was worth watching the video just for that!

I know it's difficult to do but I'd really love to see a presentation on the internals changes in Windows 11. Apart from Direct Storage, which won't impact me at all, I really don't know what is new/updated 'under the hood' in Windows 11 from Windows 10. I know people get excited about the new interface and even the new built in features but from this video it seems like the major ones are coming to Windows 10 anyway (like Windows Terminal for example). I just can't get excited about new ways of doing things I can already do very well. Nor can I get excited about new (and simpler) ways of controlling settings etc. that I can already do very well.

I'm thinking now that I may give Windows 11 a try when it's publicly available, but unless it really grabs my attention I think I'm likely to stick with 10, especially if Microsoft don't officially support Windows 11 on my Intel series 6 CPU. I'll be upgrading the PC long before 2025 in any case....

BTW. I note again the reference to 'serious performance impacts with HVCI turned on'. I've had it on here for a couple of weeks at least now and I'm not seeing any serious (or even noticeable) performance degradation. For now this seems to be a non-issue for me. These reports kind of feel like Microsoft FUD to get people to upgrade their hardware.....

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not saying upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10, Asking for what will happen to my product key for windows 10 if I do clean install Windows 11 from image disc or downloaded/installed ISO file from Microsoft? I mean I'm planning to delete all disc partitions including where Windows 10 installed. Then I'm planning to install new Windows 11. Will I still use my Windows as activated or my code works only for Windows 10? Is it safe to do? Thanks for advice!

PS: I bought my Laptop with original Windows 10 installed, from PCS.