Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
nah - just something I strung together...
D033FEFB-2180-4487-8797-F8495BF0D87A.jpeg

KippleKat

Enthusiast
Phones have really advanced haven't they! I still remember the days of being amazed at getting a single line of text to display on an old Philips Cellnet mobile...I miss phones with buttons :LOL:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Phones have really advanced haven't they! I still remember the days of being amazed at getting a single line of text to display on an old Philips Cellnet mobile...I miss phones with buttons :LOL:
When I was in my teens I worked as a security guard on a business estate and one of the clients was Siemens and they showed me a working prototype of a partnership with Ericsson (before they merged with Sony) of a phone that was simply an earpiece with full on board storage (could only store about 10 contacts though) and entirely voice activated (and of course fully wireless). Bear in mind this was back in the late 90's.

Technology is far more advanced than the public have any idea about, all the stuff that's behind the scenes is far in advance of what we ever get to see at the time. Most of it isn't commercially viable due to cost constraints, or power supply issues.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When I was in my teens I worked as a security guard on a business estate and one of the clients was Siemens and they showed me a working prototype of a partnership with Ericsson (before they merged with Sony) of a phone that was simply an earpiece with full on board storage (could only store about 10 contacts though) and entirely voice activated (and of course fully wireless). Bear in mind this was back in the late 90's.

Technology is far more advanced than the public have any idea about, all the stuff that's behind the scenes is far in advance of what we ever get to see at the time. Most of it isn't commercially viable due to cost constraints, or power supply issues.
I know I've told this story before, but for a while way back I was working for BT (or were they still Post Office Telphones then?) in Dokos House in London. The team helping to develop the UK's first mobile phone network (you know, the one that looked like a brick and weighed as much) were in there to.

Friday lunchtime we'd all go to the same pub and one day the mobile phone team sat at two different tables and were phoning each other on their mobile bricks with their drinks orders. Just to show off you understand.

On the next Friday we sat at two different tables and unrolled two bean tins and some string and used that to pass our drinks orders. The mobile phone team were not amused!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We'll see you back on here in about a week then? :ROFLMAO:
The reality is I'll probably be on here a whole lot more! Currently using an old windows phone handset that's completely out of support, every web page has a banner at the top saying "you're using an out of date browser" and it takes about 30 seconds to load a page!

It's amazing how much things have moved on in a relatively short space of time!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's amazing how much things have moved on in a relatively short space of time!
So true. The number of things that I know how to do but which are now totally useless are legion.

I've often said I'd make a good curator if a computing museum...!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ooooffftttt..... have been playing vigorously.

Arrived about 12:30, setup was v straightforward, all my stuff is stored in the cloud so it's just a case of logging on to whatever and it autosyncs, no need to transfer anything.

It's a craaaazy device. The smaller front screen is actually a lot more usable than I thought it would be, it's really nice for little quick jobs.

Charge time is insanely fast coming from Apple devices, it went from about 65% to fully charged in about 30 mins. I realise there are new devices with much higher charge rates, but this will do me just fine!

Through screen camera on the main display is perfectly adequate for video calling (not a selfie guy), the one area it is let down a bit is facial recognition, needs quite a lot of light to get a good reading.

Haven't tried the rear cameras yet (not really a camera guy except for shooting records I'm playing to upload to forums)

Speakers are impressive, they've got stereo on the top and bottom of the device and they're quite substantial, am quite surprised.

App support on the big screen is very good, the only one I've had scaling issues with so far is the DPD app, but I believe there is a setting somewhere to force it to think it's opening on a normal screen, just need to find it.

Build quality quite frankly is shockingly good, the hinge is just an absolute triumph, and it's solid!!! It's not that it's overly heavy, it just feels really sturdy.

I actually had some pictures of the unboxing taken on my old phone, but it seems to have gone strange and images are just blank for today, realised I was retiring it and gave up.

Have put forward my application for the pre order bonus pack which includes an S-Pen, case and charger, so hopefully will get that in a week or two.

I'm really impressed!

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's looking beautiful welcome to the Z club, try the DPD app on the front screen, main screen yes its screwed, I've not sussed it on the Z2, but does work on the front.

Yeah it's surprising how handy the front screen is, use mine quite a bit for reading messages etc

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's looking beautiful welcome to the Z club, try the DPD app on the front screen, main screen yes its screwed, I've not sussed it on the Z2, but does work on the front.

Yeah it's surprising how handy the front screen is, use mine quite a bit for reading messages etc
Ah, thanks, hadn't even considered doing that, but yeah, makes sense.

It's a damn fine phone this one, a damn fine phone @AgentCooper