Hard drive either defective or not connected

1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

Here is the storage i ordered for my pc that i spent £2000, with that amount of money youd think pcs would take care while testing and not rush out a pc, but unfortunately it seems they havent, my pc arrived in the morning and i was using it throughout the day when i noticed i only had 512gb of storage and not 1512gb of storage like id ordered so i looked around and nowhere was my 1tb hardrive being picked up, i checked online for how to check parts of the pc and again no 1tb hard drive but it did pickup my 512gb one,
when i looked in the case (lian li) i see my 1tb harddrive in what looks to be a metal mesh box which seems to be apart of the case, and the wires seem to be connected up, not sure why it isnt being noticed at all by the pc, and i also dont fancy sending my pc back to pcs after waiting a month and a half to recieve it, just for it to spend another month at pcs…
thoughts?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive

Here is the storage i ordered for my pc that i spent £2000, with that amount of money youd think pcs would take care while testing and not rush out a pc, but unfortunately it seems they havent, my pc arrived in the morning and i was using it throughout the day when i noticed i only had 512gb of storage and not 1512gb of storage like id ordered so i looked around and nowhere was my 1tb hardrive being picked up, i checked online for how to check parts of the pc and again no 1tb hard drive but it did pickup my 512gb one,
when i looked in the case (lian li) i see my 1tb harddrive in what looks to be a metal mesh box which seems to be apart of the case, and the wires seem to be connected up, not sure why it isnt being noticed at all by the pc, and i also dont fancy sending my pc back to pcs after waiting a month and a half to recieve it, just for it to spend another month at pcs…
thoughts?
Is it being recognised in the BIOS?

Do you see it in disk management? It may just need initialising before windows recognises it as would any new drive.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Go into Disk Management, locate the drive, create an NTFS partition on it the maximum size of the drive, format it and assign a drive letter. Then Windows will see it.

This is perfectly normal for a custom build, PCS do not format new secondary drives, it will be as received from the manufacturer and so is totally blank - that's why Windows doesn't see it.

Buying a custom build is not like buying off the shelf from a high street store, you are expected to be able to do some basic setting up yourself.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Go into Disk Management, locate the drive, create an NTFS partition on it the maximum size of the drive, format it and assign a drive letter. Then Windows will see it.

This is perfectly normal for a custom build, PCS do not format new secondary drives, it will be as received from the manufacturer and so is totally blank - that's why Windows doesn't see it.

Buying a custom build is not like buying off the shelf from a high street store, you are expected to be able to do some basic setting up yourself.
Both my storage drives came formatted, as should all drives, otherwise they can’t have been tested.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Both my storage drives came formatted, as should all drives, otherwise they can’t have been tested.
The don't test secondary drives and they are never formatted in my experience.

If Windows can't see the HDD how do you know its formatted?

Is it being recognised in the BIOS?

Do you see it in disk management? It may just need initialising before windows recognises it as would any new drive.
havent checked bios, but it isnt in disk management i dont think, not seeing anything w 1tb memory

Last edited:

im not seeing it, in the disk managment only, disk 0 partition 1, disk 0 partition 3, windows c:

RichLan564

Bright Spark
The don't test secondary drives and they are never formatted in my experience.

If Windows can't see the HDD how do you know its formatted?
Well thats what i'm saying, mine both came formatted so stating PCS have never formatted secondary drives is incorrect.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well thats what i'm saying, mine both came formatted so stating PCS have never formatted secondary drives is incorrect.
OK, I'll qualify my statement by saying that secondary drives are not USUALLY partitioned or formatted by PCS. I've lost count over the years of the number of times we've had this 'missing drive' query.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
OK, I'll qualify my statement by saying that secondary drives are not USUALLY partitioned or formatted by PCS. I've lost count over the years of the number of times we've had this 'missing drive' query.
Fair enough but seeing as they ask in the order page of a system what size partitions are required on all drives (it default's to max size of drive) it looks like it's part of their standard build procedure so if they are indeed sending systems out with no format or partition thats pretty poor behaviour.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Fair enough but seeing as they ask in the order page of a system what size partitions are required on all drives (it default's to max size of drive) it looks like it's part of their standard build procedure so if they are indeed sending systems out with no format or partition thats pretty poor behaviour.
Ah now that's a different kettle of fish. If you select specific partitions then of course PCS will do that. But if you don't, and most don't, then secondary drives are usually just fitted as is.

Shien

Bronze Level Poster
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive

thoughts?
I got the same case and the same HD as storage.. It wasn't blocked with screws to the case.. during the travel the HD went everywhere in that space and the connection to the data cable was broken.. have u check if there Is a problem with the connection?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Ah now that's a different kettle of fish. If you select specific partitions then of course PCS will do that. But if you don't, and most don't, then secondary drives are usually just fitted as is.
I'm pretty sure it defaults the partition to maximum drive size unless otherwise specified so in my mind thats what should be partioned and formatted

Anyway, we digress, if the OP's drive isn't showin up in disk management there is either a power or SATA cable out.....

I'm pretty sure it defaults the partition to maximum drive size unless otherwise specified so in my mind thats what should be partioned and formatted

Anyway, we digress, if the OP's drive isn't showin up in disk management there is either a power or SATA cable out.....
ok thanks everyone for the help and ideas, rang up pcs, and spoke with a guy named Lewis Main, and he talked me through the options, so the reason i wasnt seeing the hardrive anywhere wasnt because of bios, but instead was the connecting cable from the motherboard to the hardrive, turns out during transit the end of the cable that connected to the hardrive had snapped in half, and one half was still in the hard drive the other wasnt, luckily in the help pack there was spare sata cables, and Lewis talked me through how to connect them in, and it worked a good en, so thanks alot!

Shien

Bronze Level Poster
ok thanks everyone for the help and ideas, rang up pcs, and spoke with a guy named Lewis Main, and he talked me through the options, so the reason i wasnt seeing the hardrive anywhere wasnt because of bios, but instead was the connecting cable from the motherboard to the hardrive, turns out during transit the end of the cable that connected to the hardrive had snapped in half, and one half was still in the hard drive the other wasnt, luckily in the help pack there was spare sata cables, and Lewis talked me through how to connect them in, and it worked a good en, so thanks alot!
Exactly what i said.. you had my same problem.. but i'm not lucky like you.. my cable it's ok but my HD connection Is broken.. i'm waiting an answer by PCS to have a new HD...