New to the Forum… and the World.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Sounds like you’ve got your embarrassing dad dancing all ready to go then! 🎉
Nooooo, I won’t be subjecting them to that! I’ll have to pay for the therapy they’ll need.

I’ve already made some solemn oaths not to put my child through some of the embarrassing stuff I had to live with. If my mates ever knocked at the door to ask if I was playing out my dad would shout ‘your boyfriends are here!’

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
it don't matter at these do's, they are outside in the dark..............Nobody can see you dance...............
But they could get caught by one of my flailing arms and end up with a fractured eye socket. It’s too risky, my friend.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know more French but am banned from speaking it by Mrs Cooper 😆
[serious mode on]
From day one make sure that Mrs Cooper speaks to the child only in French and you speak to the child only in English. I've seen that done several times and the child does not get confused and does grow up fully bilingual. Some friends of ours here (he's Greek, she's German and they both speak good English) took that a stage further. He spoke only Greek to the child, the mother spoke only German to the child and between themselves they spoke only English. The child is now fourteen and is perfectly trilingual. She switches seamlessly from one to the other. When speaking Greek she sounds like a Greek, when speaking German she sounds like a German. You can tell she's not a native English speaker, but her English is otherwise perfect.
[serious mode off]

I note that you're originally from north of the border, so speaking English might be something of a challenge for you? Just do your best, I'm sure the child will cope.... :ROFLMAO:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
[serious mode on]
From day one make sure that Mrs Cooper speaks to the child only in French and you speak to the child only in English. I've seen that done several times and the child does not get confused and does grow up fully bilingual. Some friends of ours here (he's Greek, she's German and they both speak good English) took that a stage further. He spoke only Greek to the child, the mother spoke only German to the child and between themselves they spoke only English. The child is now fourteen and is perfectly trilingual. She switches seamlessly from one to the other. When speaking Greek she sounds like a Greek, when speaking German she sounds like a German. You can tell she's not a native English speaker, but her English is otherwise perfect.
[serious mode off]

I note that you're originally from north of the border, so speaking English might be something of a challenge for you? Just do your best, I'm sure the child will cope.... :ROFLMAO:

Well... @AgentCooper Could have a trilingual young'un. English, French and Binary.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I was actually born in England, the only one in the family. Which means there’s always a lot of jokes at my expense at any family gathering. On the plus side, it does mean I can act as a translator for anyone who is talking to a Glaswegian and hasn’t got a clue what they’re saying 👍

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I was actually born in England, the only one in the family. Which means there’s always a lot of jokes at my expense at any family gathering. On the plus side, it does mean I can act as a translator for anyone who is talking to a Glaswegian and hasn’t got a clue what they’re saying 👍
But you are still from north of the border...........

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
But you are still from north of the border...........
I’m from Lancashire, lad! Home of flat caps, hotpot, whippets being walked around with a bit of string instead of a lead, pies and gravy!

1139C639-42D6-43DA-A61E-B27AD45CEBCF.jpeg