Fml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Bright Spark
There is nothing wrong with the card, nothing at all, cards dont just downclock themselves and only work half arsed, if theres no artifacing, theres nothing wrong with it, its like saying an overclocked 5850 is better than a 5870 - it IS, because its overclocked.

That's pretty much what I've said to him.

If he is set on returning it then accept it back. Make sure its the exact card you sent him, if you kept logs of serials etc that would help but I doubt you did as I never do! When you get it, test it and sell it again on eBay - fari enough you will lose the delivery costs but that's all.

I may have to do this, however as Paul says im worried the card i get back will be different or botched in some way. I never kept any logs, i just know what it looks like.

I'm worried that if i accept it back, it now won't work properly and ill be down £85 with a broken card.

PaulH

Bright Spark
If ebay or paypal had anythig about them, they would see his buying habbits and realise that theres something fishy going on, however, they are imbeciles and they wont, because, as previously stated, they are imbeciles

Last edited:

Matt

Bright Spark
Ok, so we have been exchanging emails for a while now, here is what was said.

Hi there, I got the card thanks. I believe it has a fault. I bought it as a (slight) upgrade for my 4870. I removed my 4870 and installed your 4890. I immediately ran 3DMark06 and noticed the frame rates were much lower. This was borne out in the score. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and reinstalled them - same problem. I then decided to format my HDD and reinstall Windows. I downloaded fresh drivers from ATI and installed them - same problem. With my 4870 my 3dMark06 score is 18,000, with your 4890 it is 14,500. My PC Specs: Core i7 920 @ 4.1GHz, DFI Lanparty JR, 6GB Corsair, Intel SSD, Antec Truepower 850w. I googled the problem and read loads of old threads. The only problem I could find was someone not having a good enough PSU. I don't have that problem. So I can only conclude that the card is faulty. Do you have any suggestions before I ask to return it? Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Hi John,

I can confirm that the card has no fault and works perfectly. I suggest you take a second look at your system and drivers as a slightly lower score in a benchmark programme does not indicate a faulty graphics card.

Please double check the listing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300453905799

Returns:
No returns accepted

However i can 100% guarantee that the card is not faulty. It was tested thoroughly using Furmark and Video Memory Stress Test before it was listed on ebay as is standard practice will all cpu items i sell.

All i can do is ask overclockers.co.uk if i can transfer the warranty over to you as it should have at least 1 year if not more left on it. If they refuse to let me do that (which is likely) then im afraid there is nothing i can do.

However, it sounds like a problem on your end to honest.

Hi Matthew,

I pretty sure it's not working properly.

What could explain the card peforming so badly?

Seriously, it really is seriously inferior to my 4870.

I'm kind of hoping you can shed some light on the problem?

As for 'returns not accepted' - that doesn't mean you can sell items that aren't working as a PayPal dispute would show ;-)

Thanks,

Jon

Jon

I have looked at your account and the 4870 you have. I noticed you have an overclocked sapphire 4870 vs a stock xfx 4890. Its no wonder you are not seeing a speed increase. Your 4870 has higher clock speeds than the 4890 you bought!

I'm sorry, but if you try and dispute then that is simply not fair as the card is working perfectly.

I'm happy to try and help if i can however.

Please try this

Firstly, you will need two programs. Driver sweeper, and Driver cleaner. They can be downloaded from the following locations.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=1655&file=7&evp=b0e23b57cdae2217c3d377655ad3ce34

http://soft.softoogle.com/ap/driver-cleaner-pro-get-1878.shtml

Once both these are downloaded, install them. Uninstall Ati download manager completely, also use the express option.

Restart your computer, at post keep pressing f8 until it lets you boot into safe mode.

Boot into safe mode for windows, then run driver sweeper, select ati, analyse, then clean all entries found.

Rinse and repeat for Driver cleaner pro. You will need to select all ati entries in the drop down box then clean.

Once all is cleaned, restart your pc normally.

Get back to windows and install the 10.7 drivers using express install option.

Restart windows. Then install these game specific profile ati drivers, the latest version available.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/203...ion_profiles/10-7_aticatalyst_appprofiles.exe (these are for windows 7 so you may need to go to ati main site to pick the right profile drivers for your windows)

Hi thank you. How did you look at my account? I didn't know I had one!

I will try your suggestions. Although I have already fully reinstalled windows and all drivers. I suppose I could try with a different hard disk, just to be sure none of the deleted files are being picked up from previous installation.

Attached are the two screen snips with my 4870 on standard clocks and your 4890 on standard clocks. Everything else is the same. Check out the discrepencies in the SM 2 and SM 3 scores!

It's really frustrating. It's not as if the 4890 is malfunctioning or stuttering or artifacting - it's just not performing!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jon

PS. - not sure why it's describing my CPU as a i7 975x in the second benchmark.

I looked at your ebay reputation, and found the three 4870's you have bought recently. Out of the the three you bought, the sapphire cooler one is yours?

Maybe try running the directx updater http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Looking at your 4870 scores compared to my 4870 scores something is wrong. Your 4870 scores should be higher, same for 4890 which needs more Watts than a 4870.

I think it could be a psu problem. I know your psu has enough watts at 850 but it may not be giving the card enough juice.

I would advise on switching or trying different 6 pin adapters from your psu to the graphics cards. Maybe one or two of them is faulty and is not sending out enough watts.

Then try a friends or different psu in your pc. If the card was really faulty, you would be experiencing crashed, corruption bsod messages or alike.

Regards

Hi Jon,

please also try the card in a friends computer, as i can't understand how it can work perfectly in my pc.

Regards

Hi,

Yep I actually bought two (one we didn't complete the transaction although the guy left me feedback - weird right?!).

I am using the Sapphire 4870. It is a good card. Rock solid at 800MHz Core and 1000MHz Memory.

I just did what you suggested - used the other set of rails to power the card - no difference. The PSU is brand new (2 weeks) and bought from Ingram Micro.

I just don't understand it.

I am going to do an AMD build later today so I will put your card in that machine (Phenom II X4 945) and see how it runs.

I agree though - that if the card was damaged it would probably give BSODs.....

Odd.

Thanks.

Jon

Sweeney47

I've never used Ebay so dont know the ins and outs but he bought a card as advertised and providing you didnt lie about any stats etc he cannot complain on performance or that he has a faulty product. If he bought a 4890 off you and you sent a 4850 I could understand but he got what he paid for surely?

You cant go into PC world, buy a graphics card, plug it in, test it, go back to PC world and say "I bought this card earlier but it doesnt perform as good as I want it to, give me my money back"...

He gave you money, you gave him a card, contract done. The product is not faulty, it just doesnt live to expectation. Maybe he should have done some more research...

Matt

Bright Spark
I've never used Ebay so dont know the ins and outs but he bought a card as advertised and providing you didnt lie about any stats etc he cannot complain on performance or that he has a faulty product. If he bought a 4890 off you and you sent a 4850 I could understand but he got what he paid for surely?

You cant go into PC world, buy a graphics card, plug it in, test it, go back to PC world and say "I bought this card earlier but it doesnt perform as good as I want it to, give me my money back"...

He gave you money, you gave him a card, contract done. The product is not faulty, it just doesnt live to expectation. Maybe he should have done some more research...

Aye sweens.

Well since that last message i posted above i have not heard back from him. I hope that is the end of it (i doubt it though lol).

He seemed to be taken aback that i knew how many other cards he had bought as of late, if he is indeed trying a scam i hope that put him off.

I just hope i wake up tomorrow and don't see another email from ebay. :(

Meds

Fingers crossed it is the end of it, it's all undue stress when all you wanted to do was get a little cash for an old component but that's life mate! I hope you sort it sooner rather than later.

Matt

Bright Spark
Fingers crossed it is the end of it, it's all undue stress when all you wanted to do was get a little cash for an old component but that's life mate! I hope you sort it sooner rather than later.

Thanks Meds. :)

Matt

Bright Spark
Still have not heard back from the guy, if i have not heard from him by monday then i think i can just forget about it.

Sweeney47

I would email paypal and ask them can people return just because they thought the product was better.

exactly, I cannot see how he has any grounds to demand a return, the product works absolutely fine, just because he bought a product thats worse than his current one is nothing to do with the seller. If he'd have taken the time to look at the stats rather than the model number he would have known that

Xavien

Enthusiast
Its one of the reasons i never use ebay, ive had so many friends who have had nothing but problems like not getting their money or getting scammed etc...

Matt

Bright Spark
Has this been resolved then Matt?

Well he stopped replying to me. Ever since i mentioned how many cards he has bought recently.

I left it with, well i hope you sort out your problems.

He was either doing some sort of scam, as indicated by the sheer amount of cards he was buying, or he realised that if the card was working then he didn't really have a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.