My first BSOD for months and months..or so I thought.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Hi,

I turned on my laptop today and was greeted with a BSOD - not had one of these for months and months, or so I thought until I looked into the minidumps folder and found two .dmp files - one from earlier today and one from late September.

@ubuysa - only when you have a moment as no rush as pretty sure everything is ok - but if you dont mind sometime having a quick look through - have uploaded the following files to: http://www.aj1.co.uk/dump/Bhuna50.zip

1634222350405.png

I didnt find a memory.dmp file.

Thanks

Andy.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The latest minidump (101421-10140-01.dmp) is a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE stop code, the exception code indicates a list entry pool corruption. This means that a driver has somehow screwed up a memory pool structure (a list structure). I'd like to be able to access the memory pools but they're not contained in a minidump. The System log entry for this BSOD does indicate that a kernel dump was written to C:\Windows\memory.dmp.

There isn't anything in this minidump that helps narrow the failing driver down, there are no driver errors listed anywhere. The stack trace shows several calls to functions labelled Pi (eg. nt!PiDqQueryApplyObjectEvent) but I'm unable to discover what the Pi component is for. Later on in the stack trace there are PnP function calls (eg. nt!_PnpOpenObjectRegKey) and that of course suggests a PnP device may have been involved? Perhaps it's something as simple as a USB connector not fully home?

The earlier minidump (092521-8484-01.dmp) is a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M stop code, this means that a driver is constantly spinning in a loop waiting for some hardware device to respond. The failing driver in this case was dxgkrnl.sys, the DirectX kernel. The stack trace however shows two calls to amdkmdag.sys prior to two calls to dxgkrnl.sys and then we get the bug check. The amdkmdag.sys driver is part of your AMD chipset driver package.

Again in this dump there isn't anything else meaningful, no other driver errors for example. The System log indicates that a kernel dump was written but that will have been overwritten by the most recent kernel dump.

There's nothing of great note in your System log, apart from the two bug checks. In the Application log there are clearly issue with the Office 2016 Licensing Service, there are masses of errors reporting Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220, but that's not going to be the cause of your BSODs of course. There are a handful of application error messages for a variety of applications that all have the 0xC0000005 exception code - this is a memory access violation error and that hints at a possible RAM issue (and that kind of gels with the memory pool corruption in the latest minidump)?

The first thing I'd suggest is that you remove and replace your USB devices just to be sure it's not something as simple as a poor USB connection.

The next thing I'd suggest is that you check that your AMD chipset driver doesn't need updating via the AMD driver support site. In your first minisump (from Sept) this driver was very much involved so it's worth checking.

I would also suggest you remove and replace the RAM cards and then run Memtest on your RAM.

Finally check to see whether there are any optional updates (particularly driver updates) waiting to be installed. Install any that you find.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Thanks @ubuysa - funnily enough next time I went to shut down the machine, I had an update to apply. That must have come in the last few days as I'm sure I did my routine check on Saturday evening (if not it would have been the week before as I never go two weeks without checking / installing).

I will try the AMD driver support site shortly and Memtest later - as will leave memtest to run overnight.

I found the memory.dmp file - was stupidly looking under Windows/system32 folder for some reason LOL.

Have uploaded a zipped file here with it in: www.aj1.co.uk/dump/MEMORY.zip

Thanks for looking so quickly.

Edited to add: Also - only USB I have plugged in is my cooling pad, which then has additional USB support on it - and yes the cable was loose to the pad itself so it hadnt come on - so hopefully that was reason perhaps.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Re the Office 2016 errors - not sure what problem with that is - I have Office 365 and it logs in ok.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There was an Nvidia driver update the other day which I ended up uninstalling on Berserker as I was having all sorts of freezes in resident evil village, which stopped after I uninstalled with DDU and reinstalled the previous version

Bhuna50

Author Level
There was an Nvidia driver update the other day which I ended up uninstalling on Berserker as I was having all sorts of freezes in resident evil village, which stopped after I uninstalled with DDU and reinstalled the previous version
Ah - admittedly I usually wait one week and check the forums for comments before I apply an nVidia update :D - so the one on the 12th is still on my diary to do next week :D

Bhuna50

Author Level
Stupid question time.

Memtest.

It has been running 9 1/2 hours now, no errors and is on Pass 3/4 (about 95%).

Is the number of passes it mentions relating to the number sticks of RAM (I have 4 x 16Gb) or is it testing all ram in each pass and has four series of tests (known as a pass).

With zero errors I’m inclined to stop this now but if it’s only tested 3 sticks should I leave it for another 2.5 hours to finish 4th pass?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is the number of passes it mentions relating to the number sticks of RAM (I have 4 x 16Gb) or is it testing all ram in each pass and has four series of tests (known as a pass).
It does a series of tests over a number of passes for each DIMM I think.

It's best to leave it for the full 4 passes, but yes, it's looking pretty promising if there are no errors so far.

Bhuna50

Author Level
It does a series of tests over a number of passes for each DIMM I think.

It's best to leave it for the full 4 passes, but yes, it's looking pretty promising if there are no errors so far.
Ok. I need to move laptop somewhere it won’t get plaster dust then as about to do lots of sanding. Lol.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As @SpyderTracks says, please let it finish. That free version will do four iterations (runs) of the 13 tests and you need as many iterations as possible to tease out flaky RAM. There is a school of thought that say you need at least 8 iterations to be sure that you've done all you can to make it fail, but the free version only does four. That's good enough for about 98% of common RAM problems.