Liquid cooling pump does not turn on

Ganymede

Hi,

Just received my new PC and unfortunately the cooling doesn't turn on. I get a CPU fan not working error on the BIOS and the CPU temp rapidly raised above 80 degC.

All the fans are turning including the radiator fans, but lights aren't turning on for the pump and no sounds coming from it. I've had a look at the 3-pin connection for the pump and disconnected & reconnected it from the mobo (I'm not really familiar with the necessary connectors etc but my first assumption is it will be related to this). Things generally look in place so I can't tell what's wrong.

I'll be calling tech support but in case any of you kind folks could suggest anything easy to check, I thought I'd post my question here first!

Many thanks anyone who could help!

Adam

Some relevant spec (let me know if you need to know more details)
LIAN LI LANCOOL II GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU
ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Just received my new PC and unfortunately the cooling doesn't turn on. I get a CPU fan not working error on the BIOS and the CPU temp rapidly raised above 80 degC.

All the fans are turning including the radiator fans, but lights aren't turning on for the pump and no sounds coming from it. I've had a look at the 3-pin connection for the pump and disconnected & reconnected it from the mobo (I'm not really familiar with the necessary connectors etc but my first assumption is it will be related to this). Things generally look in place so I can't tell what's wrong.

I'll be calling tech support but in case any of you kind folks could suggest anything easy to check, I thought I'd post my question here first!

Many thanks anyone who could help!

Adam

Some relevant spec (let me know if you need to know more details)
LIAN LI LANCOOL II GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU
ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
The H100x should have a little cable that runs from the pump head to a power supply cable called a SATA power connector, the larger one of the two in this picture:

pump.jpg

It's possible that's been disconnected in transit.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
check the usb connection into the side of the pump, and check the motherboard end of it as well

Ganymede

Thanks for such quick replies guys!

I've checked these two cables and they were connected. To be sure I disconnected and reconnected.

The small cable that connects to the motherboard (is this what you mean by the USB connection?) - it's a 3 pin connector and where it connects there's 4 pins. It's connected to the right 3 pins with the leftmost pin unconnected to anything. I'm assuming that's correct?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your advice.

Adam

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for such quick replies guys!

I've checked these two cables and they were connected. To be sure I disconnected and reconnected.

The small cable that connects to the motherboard (is this what you mean by the USB connection?) - it's a 3 pin connector and where it connects there's 4 pins. It's connected to the right 3 pins with the leftmost pin unconnected to anything. I'm assuming that's correct?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your advice.

Adam
That's the fan connector.

The pump lights are controlled by the other connector, if that's not lit then the pump won't be powered. It's possible the Fan header isn't on correctly either, but we'll deal with that later.

If you can take a photo and upload it, that would help.

Ganymede

Photo of the pump from the front. The lights don't come on when PC is turned on as you say.
Second photo is from the back where the SATA power cable is routed. I traced it to the PSU and it seems to be connected to the PSU correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_2255387.jpg
    IMG_20211022_2255387.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20211022_2259483.jpg
    IMG_20211022_2259483.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 124

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Photo of the pump from the front. The lights don't come on when PC is turned on as you say.
Second photo is from the back where the SATA power cable is routed. I traced it to the PSU and it seems to be connected to the PSU correctly.
Excellent photos, that's great, thanks.

So firstly, the fan header should be on the left three pins with the 4th blank.

That will probably remove the BIOS error.

I'm still concerned that the pump light isn't coming on. If possible (I'm not familiar with the case) can you unplug the SATA Power cable that it's plugged into at the PSU end and plug it firmly back in?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apologies, apologies, scratch that, they've inverted the fan header, so it's upside down, it is in correctly.

It must be just the power connector then, I think we can leave the fan header.

Ganymede

Tried to unplug the SATA cable from the PSU but it's v difficult to access and I can't really unclip the locking clip. :-/

Ganymede

I connected the front LED lights to the same power cable line as the pump and they came on. Wondering if the pump is suddenly faulty since delivery... :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Tried to unplug the SATA cable from the PSU but it's v difficult to access and I can't really unclip the locking clip. :-/
Yeah, they're pretty tightly packed in on some cases.
I connected the front LED lights to the same power cable line as the pump and they came on. Wondering if the pump is suddenly faulty since delivery... :(
Hmm, that does suggest the pump is faulty, I would give PCS a call.

They should be able to just post out a replacement H100x rather than you having to send the whole build back if you're happy fitting it.

It would be delivered by DPD next day and the courier would take the failed unit off you and return it to PCS.