Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
May i say that i'm overhyped by THIS :
(ok, i hope you know this french comics, because it's awesome !
If not, give it a try ;) )

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve just watched The Hermit of Treig on the Beeb, a compelling portrayal of a man who’s chosen to live forty years of his life in solitude in the highlands of Scotland. At times it’s achingly sad, knowing the events that have caused him to choose this path. At other times, you can’t help but envy a man who’s genuinely content with his lot in life. And it’s beautifully shot.

I’ve also started watching Kingdom on Netflix, the South Koreans have always done horror and zombies well so this should be a giggle 😶

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve just watched The Hermit of Treig on the Beeb, a compelling portrayal of a man who’s chosen to live forty years of his life in solitude in the highlands of Scotland. At times it’s achingly sad, knowing the events that have caused him to choose this path. At other times, you can’t help but envy a man who’s genuinely content with his lot in life. And it’s beautifully shot.
That sounds really interesting, shall give that a watch.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That sounds really interesting, shall give that a watch.
I would highly recommend it. Really made me think about what’s important in life. And it’s very empowering to see that as he reaches his twilight years, he just says no when people want him to move into a city or a care home. He’s accepted a bit of help from the locals recently but is totally prepared to meet his maker on his own terms. Top lad.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would highly recommend it. Really made me think about what’s important in life. And it’s very empowering to see that as he reaches his twilight years, he just says no when people want him to move into a city or a care home. He’s accepted a bit of help from the locals recently but is totally prepared to meet his maker on his own terms. Top lad.
Is it a documentary?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, significant film here, with all that's going on in the world.

Watched V For Vendetta yesterday which I always loved, but is now I think almost prophetic in what's to inevitably come. Such a wonderful film.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Well, significant film here, with all that's going on in the world.

Watched V For Vendetta yesterday which I always loved, but is now I think almost prophetic in what's to inevitably come. Such a wonderful film.
Funnily enough, Mrs C also watched that yesterday and said pretty much the same thing!

On my side of things, have now finished the second season of Kingdom and would thoroughly recommend for anyone who’s after a good zombie romp and doesn’t mind reading subtitles.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I never realised, but it's actually based on a DC comic from the 80's.
Yeah, it’s one of Alan Moore’s. He’s also responsible for Watchmen and From Hell, both made into (poor) film adaptations. I’ve never been a comic book guy but used to live with one who turned me onto Moore’s work.

If you ever see it going cheap, pick up the Batman graphic novel, ‘The Killing Joke’. It’s one of his best pieces and it is dark.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, it’s one of Alan Moore’s. He’s also responsible for Watchmen and From Hell, both made into (poor) film adaptations. I’ve never been a comic book guy but used to live with one who turned me onto Moore’s work.

If you ever see it going cheap, pick up the Batman graphic novel, ‘The Killing Joke’. It’s one of his best pieces and it is dark.
They did a graphic film of Killing Joke in 2016 which I have but it's not quite what it could have been, it's got Mark Hamill doing the Jokers voice. Amazing story, and as you say, the real Batmans were extremely dark.

I used to have loads of the Batman novella's, Judge Dredd, 2000 AD, I may have had Watchmen, so gutted they went, have no idea where.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I used to have loads of the Batman novella's, Judge Dredd, 2000 AD, I may have had Watchmen, so gutted they went, have no idea where.
That’s mildly devastating!

I wish I’d read more 2000AD, got quite into it when they did the Judge Dredd ‘Judgement Day’ storyline, where Sabbat the necromancer raised the dead (of which there were tens of millions after the Necropolis story). But I gave up as I hit my teens and became more interested in girls and playing football.

Instead of buying records, I might budget some expendable funds into some old issues…

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That’s mildly devastating!

I wish I’d read more 2000AD, got quite into it when they did the Judge Dredd ‘Judgement Day’ storyline, where Sabbat the necromancer raised the dead (of which there were tens of millions after the Necropolis story). But I gave up as I hit my teens and became more interested in girls and playing football.

Instead of buying records, I might budget some expendable funds into some old issues…
Would be a very cool thing to collect. Just as costly as records though!

I loved the variation in drawing styles between artists. The stories were so hard hitting though. I just wish DC would translate better to movies like Marvel have managed, I much preferred DC as actual comics, they were far darker.

I wonder if my parents may still have all this kind of stuff in the attic or if I sold it or gave it away. Should really look into that.