Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Sweden has indeed fostered a whole range of decent actors over the decades . Max Von Sydow ( Father Merrin in The Exorcist ) ,Greta Garbo , Stellan Skarsgård , Peter Stormare , Michael Nyqvist ( R.I.P ) , Alexander Skarsgård ,Dolph Lundgren , Alicia Vikander and many others . They are rarely getting the big headlines ,but quite often do a very good job .

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I’ve been on a bit of a Scorsese mission recently, re-watching some of his work… including The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

Imagine my surprise when Mrs Cooper said that Joker had dropped on Amazon Prime and suggested we watch it tonight. Christ on a bike, it’s both an homage and a love letter to those two movies… and Bob De Niro is in it! Mind-boggling!

I thought it was a great film, although it didn’t necessarily need to be a Joker story, it could have represented the slow descent into anarchy of anyone, much like Michael Douglas in Falling Down (another good movie, if you’ve not seen it). But it’s definitely the best from DC since Nolan’s movies.

Absolute powerhouse of a performance from Joaquin Phoenix, I’ve always been on the fence about him previously (I’ve used the Gladiator sticky out tongue gif a lot over the years) but was captivated from the start to the end. And it’s dark in the best kind of way, the film left us both feeling uneasy and having a long conversation about the stigma and management of mental health issues. Haven’t had that unease since the first time I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
Oh mate, if you haven't watched a lot of Joaquin Phoenix you're seriously sleeping on a lot of fantastic movies

You Were Never Really There
Walk The Line
Her
We Own The Night
Sisters Brothers

All worth taking the time to watch mate

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You were never really there is an acting masterpiece IMO. He's phenomenal in it. Always great at portraying disturbing individuals.

Her I've not managed to get through, I've started it a few times and it's just not my bag.

Not seen We Own the Night or Sisters Brothers.

Adding to the list, just because I loved it at the time.... Signs.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You were never really there is an acting masterpiece IMO. He's phenomenal in it. Always great at portraying disturbing individuals.

Her I've not managed to get through, I've started it a few times and it's just not my bag.

Not seen We Own the Night or Sisters Brothers.

Adding to the list, just because I loved it at the time.... Signs.
Signs is a personal favourite of mine, I love anything ET related and horror vibe just amplifies this as a favourite. Plus the performances are brilliant. M. Night is mostly useless but he nails it every now and then

Sisters Brothers is particularly good, John C Reilly is also incredible in it

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Signs is one of the few movies that actually creeped me out. I put it down to the fact that everything surrounding the premise was entirely plausible and made more sense that most other ET movies. War of the Worlds was the another one.

The only thing that didn't make any sense was that they could come to a planet with around 70% water..... when water killed them. That was a small niggle though as obviously O2 & the rest of the atmosphere was the main driver.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just started bingeing the new Cowboy Bebop live-action remake...and I'm really liking it...hopefully they'll make another series quickly as I'm half way through already.

The style reminds me a bit of my dearly beloved Firefly.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just started bingeing the new Cowboy Bebop live-action remake...and I'm really liking it...hopefully they'll make another series quickly as I'm half way through already.

The style reminds me a bit of my dearly beloved Firefly.
The trailer popped up on my Netflix the other day. John Cho has got shredded for this role!

Is it worth a watch for the uninitiated? I’ve never seen the original anime so wasn’t sure if I’d get it.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The trailer popped up on my Netflix the other day. John Cho has got shredded for this role!

Is it worth a watch for the uninitiated? I’ve never seen the original anime so wasn’t sure if I’d get it.
I've not watched much of the anime either, seemed a bit strange for me...despite liking a fair amount of manga/anime/hentai.

As I said, it's a bit more like Firefly...in that the crew don't really get on, things always go wrong, and then they all grumble at each other. In between all this there are some silly gunfights and swordplay.

If you take it for what it is meant to be - a fun show with a bit of a space cowboy / bounty hunter theme - then it's fine. If you're expecting Oscar-winning performances from the cast then this style of show is probably not for you...and I think Cho plays his part as well as it needs to be...a bit aloof, a bit secretive, etc.

Background story does get revealed as you go along, but it's not stuffed down your throat.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Just finished Red Notice on Netflix with The Rock, Gal Gadot and the one and only Ryan Reynolds, fun film, definitely worth it.
Started watching that last night and fell asleep (I was exhausted LOL) - so plan on watching the rest later tonight.

Finished all of Black Mirror now - absolutely brilliant - all of them. Even watched Bandersnatch now too (and yes, I did go back and try a few different endings LOL).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To this day, I have still never read or seen anything Dan Brown has created. Am I missing out?
I really liked Da Vinci Code, it's quite fast, you really have to keep up with it, but it's well done.

Angels and Demons was good, but not as good as Da Vinci Code.

Not seen Inferno or Lost Symbol.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I really liked Da Vinci Code, it's quite fast, you really have to keep up with it, but it's well done.

Angels and Demons was good, but not as good as Da Vinci Code.

Not seen Inferno or Lost Symbol.
Cheers, will consider them on my vast list of ‘things I probably should’ve watched by now’

That list also includes Firefly, Killing Eve, Peaky Blinders, Better Call Saul and about a million others that you’re probably all shaking your head at me for missing out on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers, will consider them on my vast list of ‘things I probably should’ve watched by now’

That list also includes Firefly, Killing Eve, Peaky Blinders, Better Call Saul and about a million others that you’re probably all shaking your head at me for missing out on.
I'm miles behind on everything.... still haven't watched Watchmen series, or The Witcher :eek:

Bhuna50

Author Level
I use an app on my iPhone to track TV series that I want to watch / am watching (Im looking for an app that does films so I can tick off what I have seen etc as well).

My app tells me I am:

Following 246 shows (series).

Have spent 23,029 hours watching my shows.

and I still have 1,654 episodes to watch across 56 TV series that I havent watched yet (some of them only have 1 or 2 episodes to catch up with as its current TV series, others have like 50 to 100 episodes as its on my wish list to watch from Series 1 Episode 1 LOL.