H115 Elite Capellix loud pump

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Hi, I have H115 Elite Capellix RGB cooler in my rig and pump is quite loud, it's constantly making this buzzing noise just like the one here

I've read few different reviews and posts where some people say it's normal for this cooler to be quite loud while others say it's supposed to be very quiet.

Temperature wise there's no issues at all ( CPU under 70 degrees even when gaming) but I wonder if it's normal or is there some issue with the pump?

Thanks in advance.

CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 3000MB/W)
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
United Kingdom - English Language
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Last edited:

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Hi, I have H115 Elite Capellix RGB cooler in my rig and pump is quite loud, it's constantly making this buzzing noise just like the one here ( it's a different cooler but the noise is pretty much the same ) even when pc is idle

I've read few different reviews and posts where some people say it's quite loud while others say it's very quiet.

Temperature wise there's no issues at all ( CPU under 70 degrees even when gaming) but I wonder if it's normal or is there some issue with the pump?

Thanks in advance.

CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 3000MB/W)
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
United Kingdom - English Language
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTW
What profile is it set to in iCUE ?

Try setting it to silent and see if improves

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
What profile is it set to in iCUE ?

Try setting it to silent and see if improves

I did but buzz is noticeable even when pump is on quiet mode and pc is idle.

I thought that air bubbles trapped inside the pump may be causing this so I tried to shift pc to the sides to release the air but it didn't make any difference.

My biggest concern is that this is the symptom of a faulty/damaged pump.

Last edited:

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I did but buzz is noticeable even when pump is on quiet mode and pc is idle.

I thought that air bubbles trapped inside the pump may be causing this so I tried to shift pc to the sides to release the air but it didn't make any difference.
Mine has a slight whine on anything other than silent but it's bearable in balanced

My LED's on the pump are not working that the moment either, they show up in iCUE but no LED's working, i can't say im impressed with Corsair in general or iCUE specifically really, need to check connections i think other than that it's a warranty job.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Mine has a slight whine on anything other than silent but it's bearable in balanced

My LED's on the pump are not working that the moment either, they show up in iCUE but no LED's working, i can't say im impressed with Corsair in general or iCUE specifically really, need to check connections i think other than that it's a warranty job.

Mine is clearly heard on silent and it's even louder than all fans set on extreme combined so while I can live with it, it's right on the edge of being annoying sometimes. I know this cooler is really popular and PCS sold quite a few of them so I thought I'll ask here if anyone has similar experience.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It definitely shouldn't be noisy. I can't hear my pump when the fans are at the same selection option. If I set my pump to loud and the fans to quiet I can though.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
It definitely shouldn't be noisy. I can't hear my pump when the fans are at the same selection option. If I set my pump to loud and the fans to quiet I can though.

Pump is on quiet and I can still hear it over all fans set to extreme.

I was reading through few different posts and I saw different opinions regarding this. This thread for instance

Some say it is typical for this cooler to be a bit noisy due to high rpm ( ~2200 on quiet) and the type of pump being used while others say it shouldn't sound like that at all.

Is it possible they use different pump brands for H115 Elite Capellix and some of them are causing the buzz while other don't?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The difficulty you have is how subjective these things are. You would need side by side comparison to notice the difference, or controlled methods of recording the audio.

From your description it sounds like you've been hit with a faulty pump, or a pump with an airlock in it.

I would probably angle my case up so that the radiator was uppermost and vary the pump speed for a few hours to see if that helped.

Airlocks can be a proper pain, especially with the heavier liquid inside the AIOs.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
The difficulty you have is how subjective these things are. You would need side by side comparison to notice the difference, or controlled methods of recording the audio.

From your description it sounds like you've been hit with a faulty pump, or a pump with an airlock in it.

I would probably angle my case up so that the radiator was uppermost and vary the pump speed for a few hours to see if that helped.

Airlocks can be a proper pain, especially with the heavier liquid inside the AIOs.

Very subjective indeed.
Do airlocks or faulty pumps visibly affect CPU temperature? Looking at ICue I can see that CPU on idle stays between 40-50 degrees or less and between 60-70 degrees during gaming so apart from the noise it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the cooler.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Very subjective indeed.
Do airlocks or faulty pumps visibly affect CPU temperature? Looking at ICue I can see that CPU on idle stays between 40-50 degrees or less and between 60-70 degrees during gaming so apart from the noise it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the cooler.
The H115i is a very good cooler. It would take something pretty high in temps to saturate it. Even when not running as efficiently as it could (ie with an airlock) it would still perform admirably.

A noisy pump due to a fault doesn't necessarily run inefficiently per say, just noisy.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster

Radiator is mounted right under top panel of the case, with 2 tubes going down towards the pump.

I'll use different pump settings to see if that works.

What's other options?

Use it as usual while often checking the temperatures to make sure cooler is still working?

I don't want to RMA just for the sake of it.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Radiator is mounted right under top panel of the case, with 2 tubes going down towards the pump.
Ok prop the case up so that the end of the radiator that doesn't have the pipes is higher than the end with the pipes and vary the pump speeds as well, hopefully that way any air will move well away from the pump and things will quieten down

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The tubes coming out of the pump itself is what you want to have pointing upwards. Not really sure which way they come out on your setup. If they're going into the bottom I would actually turn the PC upside down so that any air can at least make its way into the tubes. You should quite quickly notice a difference in the pump head if this is the case.

If it is, then it's time for a game of spin the PC to try and work the bubble up to the rad and let it settle as Martin has suggested :)

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Thanks guys, here is the pump picture. Which way shall I rotate the case? Shall I unplug anything? Shall I switch it on or rotate it when it's switched off?

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_155208 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_20211116_155208 (1) (1).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks guys, here is the pump picture. Which way shall I rotate the case? Shall I unplug anything? Shall I switch it on or rotate it when it's switched off?
Ok stick a book about an inch thick under the back of the case and run it like that for a while