Nvidia Driver 496.76 causes black screen after install

Vin.f

I've just installed the latest nvidia driver on my ionico 17 which resulted in a black screen. As I wasn't sure if this was caused by recent windows updates I restored the system to a point about two weeks ago and installed the driver again. Sure enough, I got the black screen again after trying a clean install this time. Maybe the issue is being caused by the new scaling features in this update but who knows.
It looks like the driver was released today so I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and how (if applicable) it was resolved.
For now, I'm going to hold off upgrading until I can figure out a reliable way to do it.

Laptop specs
Chassis & DisplayIonico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The Nvidia drivers download page displays this warning for notebook/laptop drivers...
Although GeForce Game Ready Drivers and NVIDIA Studio Drivers can be installed on supported notebook GPUs, the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM for recommended software updates for your notebook.

If the latest driver from Nvidia causes issues for you then it's likely not suited to your laptop. Was there a specific reason why you wanted this particular driver? I would suggest that you phone PCS and ask their advice.

trickyrickyg83

I have the PCS Valeon with AMD 5900HX and 3070 and have also had this problem with the same driver.
I switched back to AMD Radeon graphics in bios to allow me to roll back the Nvidia graphics driver to previous version.
This driver fixes issues with Battlefield 2042 DLSS which hasn't been working correctly on a lot of systems so I was keen to get this installed.
Hoping the next driver will work fine with my system 🤞

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I just saw elsewhere that it could be a problem with tongfang mux mechanism
you may want to set your bios on MSHybrid to re install the previous version of the driver (that what was advised)

trickyrickyg83

I have also read that sometimes issues can be caused by using Geforce Experience to install the driver rather than downloading the exe. only direct from Nvidia website and installing.🤔

JDH

Exact same issue here. To temporarily fix it I've booted up in safe mode and installed an older driver (I only had two choices, one was from October, the other from 9th Nov, the latter of which also caused the same issue when I tried it). I also tried installing the latest drivers again after doing the temp fix, had the exact same issue again, so went back through the safe mode process to install the driver from October again, and that's where I am currently. Problem is some of my games and applications no longer work because they say I need the latest driver (eg Forza Horizon 5). I'm about to try installing the drivers without using Geforce experience (downloading direct from Nvidia). Will let you know how I get on.

*Edit* - Installing the drivers direct by downloading from the Nvidia website caused the exact same issue. I've had to go back into safe mode and install the October driver again.

Last edited:

trickyrickyg83

Exact same issue here. To temporarily fix it I've booted up in safe mode and installed an older driver (I only had two choices, one was from October, the other from 9th Nov, the latter of which also caused the same issue when I tried it). I also tried installing the latest drivers again after doing the temp fix, had the exact same issue again, so went back through the safe mode process to install the driver from October again, and that's where I am currently. Problem is some of my games and applications no longer work because they say I need the latest driver (eg Forza Horizon 5). I'm about to try installing the drivers without using Geforce experience (downloading direct from Nvidia). Will let you know how I get on.

*Edit* - Installing the drivers direct by downloading from the Nvidia website caused the exact same issue. I've had to go back into safe mode and install the October driver again.
Thanks for your efforts.
I'm also wondering if it is to do with the scaling features that have been added to this release as VIN.F mentioned at the start of the thread🤔

trickyrickyg83

Just found this on Reddit regarding Mux laptops.
Eluktronics are also TongFang chassis so could well relate to our issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117_093317.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117_093317.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 169

trickyrickyg83

Hot fix has been issued by Nvidia but notes don't mention anything about Mux!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117_102855_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117_102855_com.android.chrome.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 218

FerrariVie

Super Star
No problems for me on 496.76, but my laptop doesn't have an integrated graphics card (or a mux switch), so it should be indeed related to models that have the mux

Vin.f

Looks like the latest hotfix might address this. I'm assuming the "d" in "dgpu" stands for "discrete" here.

I'll try run the update later and report back.

Just confirming that this hotfix resolves the issue.
Downloaded the hotfix > Ran executable > Used default options (included geforce experience install) & checked "Clean install" > Ran the installer > Driver was updated successfully and there were no black screens

1637880927949.png

Last edited:

Vin.f

The Nvidia drivers download page displays this warning for notebook/laptop drivers...

If the latest driver from Nvidia causes issues for you then it's likely not suited to your laptop. Was there a specific reason why you wanted this particular driver? I would suggest that you phone PCS and ask their advice.
Hey, thanks for the response on this. I didn't actually notice the disclaimer at the time as I normally upgrade via geforce experience. As for why I wanted to upgrade, it had some pretty decent features that I wanted to try but mostly, it's habitual as there have been times in the past where games didn't run as expected after a game update because I was using outdated drivers.