Amending to Windows 10 from 11

Swig

Why does amending to windows 10 home from 11 home cost more? When I re create my own custom build using the pc configurator, windows 10 is cheaper

Last edited:

Swig

I was just wondering why when I amend to Windows 10 home from 11 home, there is an extra cost of £6. When I use PC config to create a desktop PC, windows 10 home is cheaper than 11 home by £4.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was just wondering why when I amend to Windows 10 home from 11 home, there is an extra cost of £6. When I use PC config to create a desktop PC, windows 10 home is cheaper than 11 home by £4.
Because it's 6 years old?

Dan.C

Bronze Level Poster
Its €10 to amend anything for me so probably that minus the discount for being cheaper.

Swig

But that doesn't really explain why amending to it would cost more than windows 11, also it hasn't been built yet so I'm not sure why there would be an extra charge for the amendment (if that's what it is)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Be careful, we’re probably angering the silicon gods by questioning their wisdom 😜

I’m not quite sure why the configurator has this pricing quirk between the two operating systems. I’m sure it’s just something random and not a tax on the indecisive.

Wololo_n00b

Bronze Level Poster
No idea xD I just went for Windows 10 on my order and then I'm gonna upgrade when it's been through more testing and bugs are sorted etc.

Swig

I amended it anyway. Bit strange how the OS pricing is different when creating a new pc compared to amending it but windows 11 seems to be a buggy mess in reviews so I don't want to deal with it.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I amended it anyway. Bit strange how the OS pricing is different when creating a new pc compared to amending it but windows 11 seems to be a buggy mess in reviews so I don't want to deal with it.
Good move, I’m sticking with 10 until I know 11 is a lovely stable platform. Then it’ll be a cheeky clean install and spending the next couple of years getting used to the start menu icon not being at the bottom left of the screen 😐

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I genuinely feel 10 to 11 seamless. But that's on my little Surface Pro that I do hee haw other than browse about and watch netflix. The interface is very slightly different but that's more an ergonomics thing. The functionality remains the same.

For the pricing quirk, the prices fluctuate all the time. You would need to check the price of the Win11 build at the time of selection as even the OS price will fluctuate.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
hen it’ll be a cheeky clean install and spending the next couple of years getting used to the start menu icon not being at the bottom left of the screen
that's where it is

1638602591332.png

ppar

I wondered that as well... *POST MODERATED*

Last edited by a moderator:

ppar

Ohhh daym maybe ask the live chat see if they can tell you. I ordered that case as well after mine went out of stock 😬

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For anyone considering purchasing without Windows and running it without a license, if you run an unlicensed copy of windows, you don't receive security updates, so you'll be open to every attack under the sun and WILL have a compromised system.

It's further misunderstood that an up to date AV package can protect a system that's not receiving updates, this is entirely incorrect, an AV just protects things that enter from upon the OS. But with an unpatched OS, it's the OS itself that is penetrated. No AV can protect against that.

It's important to highlight the truth about licensing as it's a greatly misunderstood topic.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also, the free upgrade is only applicable to Home or Pro users, it's not applicable to businesses, so unless your business is buying individual licenses which is a very odd approach and would raise heckles amongst any IT professional, a workplace would always use volume keys which aren't subject to a free upgrade.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
Good move, I’m sticking with 10 until I know 11 is a lovely stable platform. Then it’ll be a cheeky clean install and spending the next couple of years getting used to the start menu icon not being at the bottom left of the screen 😐
Just use 'startallback' or similar, gets rid of a lot of the annoying dumbed down 11 stuff