Samsung G9 on order finally!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That might be well enough , but when recommending a screen for a user that wants to pair his RTX 3070/Ti or 3080 /Ti it always ends up with just the Samsung being recommended , like no other screen is worth mentioning . I feel that is a bit biased and not accurate . These Asus screens mentioned ( there are others , but I`m making a point here ) are high quality superb screens that will more than enough saturate these GPU`s while working superb with productivity tools . Not everyone have space for a 49" Superwide and yet even if user says " nahh I`m not sure " there is no mentioning to equal quality screens with similar properties ( Local Dimming , HDR 600+ , 144Hz+ ) and so on . Discussion kind of ends with the Samsung G9 .
Again, it all depends what you're using it for. If it's standard FPS gaming I would always recommend a 4k 144Hz standard ratio screen.

For RTS, RPG and MMO's like World Of Warcraft, I would always recommend Superwide

Usually for video or photo editing I would recommend 4k.

I'm a huge G9 fanboy though. It's the Screen ratio more than anything. If you're not a gamer, or just set on FPS then this aspect ratio isn't going to make any sense to you, but for those others, it's far more valuable than 4k.

But all those screens you mentioned are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the G9, but we often recommend 4k 144Hz screens that are cheaper than the G9.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks

how are you feeling? you mentioned earlier you felt under the weather,

perhaps it was your g9, dazzled you
I was feeling really lightheaded earlier. Just woken up from a nap and feel a bit like a hangover, slight headache and quite thirsty.

So treated myself to a Lemsip which was made by God in the days of Eden and passed down through the generations.

The monitor for videos is awesome, I had it in my browser taking up 2/3rds of the screen to the right, it was pretty cool.

MrWilson

Godlike
I guess we will have to wait until Samsung produces a 49" True 4K 32:9 screen :-D But I don`t get all the hype of this screen . Like every other screen is below or worse than this :) Sure the G9 is good and unique in it`s own way , but Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX is probably equal or better ( minus the size ) , or for sligthy larger size ROG Swift PG35VQ or ROG Swift PG43UQ . But I see no one are actually mentioning these screens when pairing with an RTX 3080 or 3080Ti or even 3070Ti . It always ends up with Samsung . But it is nonetheless an impressive purchase :)

Again, it all depends what you're using it for. If it's standard FPS gaming I would always recommend a 4k 144Hz standard ratio screen.

For RTS, RPG and MMO's like World Of Warcraft, I would always recommend Superwide

Usually for video or photo editing I would recommend 4k.

I'm a huge G9 fanboy though. It's the Screen ratio more than anything. If you're not a gamer, or just set on FPS then this aspect ratio isn't going to make any sense to you, but for those others, it's far more valuable than 4k.

But all those screens you mentioned are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the G9, but we often recommend 4k 144Hz screens that are cheaper than the G9.
^^This.
From around September 2020 through to May 2021 there were not many available/affordable 4k144hz options in the UK so the G9 was the only viable option to fully utilise a 3080/90.
Over the summer we have had a nice release of new 4k144hz that have good features, availability and affordability.
Currently my go to recommendation for 4k displays are the Gigabyte M32U or M28U, which are available for £699 or £649 respectively.
The PG32UQX is a good monitor, but it is also WAYYY more expensive than the Gigabyte offerings or the G9 which is why I very rarely recommend it.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It's that and "It's A Wonderful Life" for me, they're my 2 favorite Xmas films.
I’d have to replace It’s a Wonderful Life with Home Alone.

Mrs Cooper and I like to use our medical heads to try and dissect exactly how incapacitated the burglars would be after each trap.

Or Gremlins! I like a subversive Christmas 👍

D

Deleted member 41971

@SpyderTracks looking at my posts on his new G9
1640235844543.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to use something like PowerToys to split your screen up nice when browsing :) Glad you have installed ok.

Those speakers are massive too lol.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Lols, that's exactly what my colleague said :)

So it's in.

Very first impressions, I've literally done nothing with it other than get it plugged in, still need to check firmware version which will likely need updating, need to set HDR up and of course 240Hz, perhaps alter out of box settings a little although not too bothered about that.

Firstly:

I know this is gonna sound stoopid, but it's worth mentioning..... THIS IS A BIG MONITOR!!! I've been measuring this out on my desk the last few days, and the measurements were all accurate, but when it's actually in there, it's BIG. When you actually do the measurements, it's 2 x 24" 1440p screens together, but it just doesn't feel like that when you have it in front of you, it feels huge, you really are looking side to side, especially when it's on a desk in front of you rather than wallmounted, it's a wrap around behmoth.

And @KriSta is absolutely right, it's unweildy. Once you've set it up (which is simple) actually getting it in place and getting all the cables connected if you're in any kind of tight space is actually quite challenging. I found the only way was to tilt the screen upwards and stick my head under the chassis to try to see the ports.

And then of course I made some wonderful rookie mistakes like forgetting to plug the DP cable into the PC! and getting worried when I was getting no signal on all channels :) I also somehow managed to get the pc into an OOBE state and the keyboard is now preparing for firmware download which I need to sort out (literally no idea how I managed that!).

Clever things:

Power cable has a 90 degree angle on it, has to be the case to fit snuggly, but still, it's a nice touch.

Annoying things:

DP cable DOESN'T have 90 degree angle on it, and really could do with one.

I used all the supplied cables just in case aftermarket power cables were causing the popping that a number of people have reported. So far no issues, but they may well present once the firmware is updated and it's in 240Hz.

But currently:

No popping from the PSU
No visual defects on the actual display or bezels.
It is currently sleeping and waking from sleep correctly.

View attachment 31281

I'm actually feeling a little lightheaded and drowsy after my shot (and flat tyre on the way back!!!) so am gonna take a nap with Die Hard on in honour of this ridiculous visual panorama.

But I shall update further once it's all setup.
Looks absolutely awesome!!! :cool: Die Hard is a great movie to christen it with :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I've finally had some time this evening to play around setting up the monitor.

Now, initially it was on firmware version 1010 and it was configured to 240Hz without any flickering whatsoever. There was an issue in Windows desktop with the brightness, I had it set to Automatic where it only activates the Backlight Array when there's HDR content. Windows HDR settings just absolutely suck at the moment, so even though I had the windows display settings to HDR content, it wasn't recognising this and was automatically lowering the brightness level. At that time, I did have the option to just the Backlight Array to permanently on in the monitor OSD, but didn't actually play around at all with it.

I wanted to get it onto the latest firmware so found the download on Samsungs website on the display page / Support / Downloads section. There's a recent update to 1013 which apparently improves HDR colours, and from what I'm reading on Reddit and other places, it's a SIGNIFICANT improvement. BUT, there are a few people saying it's reintroduced flickering when setting 240Hz with HDR.

To update, initially I tried a generic USB, it found the .img file, but failed a few times reaching 16%. So luckily I had a decent high end Samsung USB which I tried and it worked first time.

So now, brightness is far better, no flickering, still no pops from the PSU. BUT, I currently don't have 240Hz as an option other than on the Display OSD. In both the windows driver and nvidia control panel, it maxes out at 120Hz.

So still need to do some further investigation.

I'm not worried quite frankly, I'll work around it. But I can understand why a lot of people just assume it's defective. It's not very user friendly, and issues like this should be far simpler for the user without needing so much troubleshooting. Doesn't put me personally off the monitor in any way, I actually get a kick out of troubleshooting, and the benfits of the display so far far outweigh the issues I've faced.