Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Anyone watching The Witcher? Absolutely blasting through it and love it so much

Have decided that The Witcher 3 is going to be my christmas game this year, going to install it when I'm home and play entirely too much of it while I'm off

Bhuna50

Author Level
Alex Rider season 3 on Prime, very apt as it centers round a computer game................
Watched it :D - quite enjoyed it but think 1 and 2 were slightly better. :D Still worth a watch though.

Just finished The Witcher :D - have to say I thought this series was much better than the previous.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Don't Look Up on Netflix is absolutely fantastic. Does exactly what it's set out to do with a stellar lineup and over-the-top premise. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

MrWilson

Godlike
Don't Look Up on Netflix is absolutely fantastic. Does exactly what it's set out to do with a stellar lineup and over-the-top premise. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just finished it too, was very impressed as expected from Adam McKay.

Was its statement about 'Fake News' clear? Yes
Was its satire of Covid denial (to me the incoming comet was a metaphor for Covid-19) clear? Yes

All in all though, was a fantastic watch, cast were phenomenal, given the lack of films out this year Leo might be in with a shot at Oscar nomination.

Would recommend.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just finished it too, was very impressed as expected from Adam McKay.

Was its statement about 'Fake News' clear? Yes
Was its satire of Covid denial (to me the incoming comet was a metaphor for Covid-19) clear? Yes

All in all though, was a fantastic watch, cast were phenomenal, given the lack of films out this year Leo might be in with a shot at Oscar nomination.

Would recommend.

I actually thought it was a little too obvious with the metaphors and messages..... I guess that's possibly deliberate irony though to keep it simple for the audience demographic being highlighted. Over-emphasised, as it should be on the screen, but incredibly accurate portrayal of just how twisted our world is becoming, through the media and through politics (Thought Meryl Streep was an excellent female Trump).

MrWilson

Godlike
I actually thought it was a little too obvious with the metaphors and messages..... I guess that's possibly deliberate irony though to keep it simple for the audience demographic being highlighted. Over-emphasised, as it should be on the screen, but incredibly accurate portrayal of just how twisted our world is becoming, through the media and through politics (Thought Meryl Streep was an excellent female Trump).
Adam McKay does like to dumb things down sometimes to make topics more palatable to the mainstream audience (great examples of this in The Big Short). Have to say though, given that I was a few beers in by this point having very clear themes being outlined was no hardship to me! 😂
Definitely not a movie that you have to really switch your brain on to process (looking at you Christopher Nolan) but an enjoyable watch nonetheless.
If any of you are in a nicely buzzed state right now on this Christmas Day, this is a good time to watch 😊

SiAdams

Went to watch ghostbusters today. I know it’s been mentioned but I really enjoyed it. They have used the original sound tracks in the movie which still gives it that 80’s feeling! I won’t say too much but would recommend it. Think it gets released on DVD early January.

I was crazy about ghostbusters when I was a kid. I remember having the back pack and ghost catcher as shown in the pic below. Was anyone else as sad as me? 😂

Attachments

• C120BF7C-26E1-4B2A-952B-3F85B9025D1D.jpeg
    C120BF7C-26E1-4B2A-952B-3F85B9025D1D.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 110

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just finished a new Korean Netflix series called The Silent Sea...

Military/science team are sent in a shuttle to investigate what happened at a Moon-base science station that ceased communication 5 years earlier.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Went to watch ghostbusters today. I know it’s been mentioned but I really enjoyed it. They have used the original sound tracks in the movie which still gives it that 80’s feeling! I won’t say too much but would recommend it. Think it gets released on DVD early January.

I was crazy about ghostbusters when I was a kid. I remember having the back pack and ghost catcher as shown in the pic below. Was anyone else as sad as me? 😂

I didn't have those, but I do remember them well (and wanting them) :D

Some highlights I've watched recently (been a total TV Junkie of late)

Hawkeye, pretty sure it's mentioned but it's really good.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - This one escaped me at the time. For whatever reason it didn't appeal to me. Decided to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it even if I called the twists halfway through.
Resident Evil Welcome to Racoon City - I absolutely loved this. It's a proper tribute to the game. I felt like I was playing it while watching it. Love the way they've done this and I truly hope they follow it up.
The Matrix Resurrections - This is getting mixed reviews but I loved it. It was always going to be difficult to follow on with how things ended but I thought it was handled quite well. Only the bullet time idea was a bit of a plot hole for me, everything else I enjoyed.
South Park Post Covid - You'll love it or hate it, but you'll know already. I laughed..... a LOT.
The Unforgiveable - Another twist that I guessed which did take an edge off it for a little bit. Great acting by Sandra Bullock although I would say her aim was a little too awkward (her execution was perfect but the angle was a little too much for me).
Venom: Let there be carnage - I was a little meh with this. I don't think there's much in this franchise to be honest. I did chuckle at times though.
The Girl on the Train - Watched this last night. It was OK, but another over-performance IMO (Emily Blunt). Decent movie and took me a while to guess who-dun-it as I thought I had it sussed out straight away but was wrong.
Jimmy Carr: His Dark Material - This was quite funny. I think it tailed off towards the end rather than getting funnier, but still a decent watch if you like him.

Think that's most of the recent highlights :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just finished a new Korean Netflix series called The Silent Sea...

Military/science team are sent in a shuttle to investigate what happened at a Moon-base science station that ceased communication 5 years earlier.
I've heard really good things about this, what did you think?

The Koreans are releasing some incredible stuff at the moment.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've heard really good things about this, what did you think?

The Koreans are releasing some incredible stuff at the moment.
Have been a big fan of Korean cinema for decades, and am so happy Netflix has embraced it too...although I have started a couple which just sent me to sleep with their over-slow-paced storylines.

However, in the case of The Silent Sea, I loved it, but I love science fiction in general, so may be a little biased ;)

I think I binged the whole series over 2 evenings/nights and can honestly say I really wanted to carry on to the the next episode the first night but my bed was calling...and won!

There's obviously a bit of a whodunnit in there, and you can clearly see who the main suspect will be from Episode 1, but the full picture doesn't play out until Episode 5 or 6...and in the meantime blame is being passed around the whole team.

There are some 'mild horror' scenes & storyline, and the standard dystopian future Earth basis for the whole premise.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Have been a big fan of Korean cinema for decades, and am so happy Netflix has embraced it too...although I have started a couple which just sent me to sleep with their over-slow-paced storylines.

However, in the case of The Silent Sea, I loved it, but I love science fiction in general, so may be a little biased ;)

I think I binged the whole series over 2 evenings/nights and can honestly say I really wanted to carry on to the the next episode the first night but my bed was calling...and won!

There's obviously a bit of a whodunnit in there, and you can clearly see who the main suspect will be from Episode 1, but the full picture doesn't play out until Episode 5 or 6...and in the meantime blame is being passed around the whole team.

There are some 'mild horror' scenes & storyline, and the standard dystopian future Earth basis for the whole premise.
Sounds right up my street!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Tonight's viewing was LA Confidential. Never seen it before, another that I just didn't fancy at the time it was released.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Another that you could write yourself but very well written, the cast is first class and it's all very well shot. Kim Basinger is a little wooden in it, not sure if it's deliberate, but she performs her role within a role very well.

Must admit I laughed out loud when I could see the suspension string in the scene with the DA out the window. Didn't have the budget to edit that out I guess :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've just put Spotlight on. Very contentious movie. I didn't watch it, deliberately, at the time of release as I have young kids (at the time 5 and newborn) and it just wasn't my idea of prime viewing.

Just spotted that it's on Netflix so decided to put it on. It's got one hell of a cast involved again and it's no doubt going to be hard hitting. Difficult to describe the positives of such a movie but I think profound would be the best adjective to describe it. It's a very important showcase of a contentious subject that needs complete eradicated with justice being true rather than bought.

Some light viewing before bedtime!