GPU Cabling

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hey all,

While I’m very happy with my build, one thing that did catch my eye when it first arrived was the big “knot” of cabling for my GPU:

26C143F7-A293-4373-BDCB-E7EA19FB3D25.jpeg

The appearance is not helped by the PCIe cables having two connectors, so the spare connection on each cable is cable tied back on itself, adding to the bulk.

I’m considering buying this which just has a single connector, which will streamline the mess a bit. But I’m wondering if I could route the cables from the bottom grommet (circled in green, behind the GPU), but run parallel to the length of the GPU, so as not to block the RGB on the front/top of the card

5A5118A5-1A89-44CF-AE05-A496E453967D.jpeg

Do people think this might work, or will the angle be too severe for the cables?

Also, will the new cables have enough stiffness to shape them so they don’t sag onto GPU? I’m thinking having cables touching a hot surface is not ideal.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I had the same issue myself with the double ended and stiff, hard to route cables packaged with Corsair PSU's. Also did what you did, buying new cable (though I got the whole kit; two 8 pin power, as well as mobo, CPU cable etc as the mobo one was thick and stiff enough to actually bend the frame where it routed through from the cabling area on my case... some extra cable combs also helped keep things steady and neat)
The new cables, while way more flexible, allowing me to route them under the GPU up rather than arced over and down, are probably too flexy to run against gravity or any nearby bends without recourse to some kind of fixing medium... cable ties, velcro strappies etc (though you do have a GPU bracket that might help as a tethering point) Those are a good investment though in your case it's unfortunate that the main RGB/logo area is right under the sockets. As for running them through that grommet, that'd work for leading them in under and out of the way but you might still need a way to run them so they stay put where you want them.
This is why I hate cable management despite giving it a good shot for the first time this PC, it's easy to make adequate but so hard to get visibly perfect.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for sharing your experience. Worse case, I can keep cables in their current routing and just thin them with single connectors.

I felt just buying the GPU cables was more economical, as my motherboard power cables are not visible with the top rad and fans. So little value in swapping out for individual sleeved cables

carlos726811

Thanks for sharing your experience. Worse case, I can keep cables in their current routing and just thin them with single connectors.

I felt just buying the GPU cables was more economical, as my motherboard power cables are not visible with the top rad and fans. So little value in swapping out for individual sleeved cables
I had same issue. I ended up buying cable extensions. I can tell you. It looks 1000x times better. This is what my system looks like with cable extensions.

Attachments

• 125376470_393196988792423_3590587420598688853_n.jpg
    125376470_393196988792423_3590587420598688853_n.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 395

PyroAsh

Bronze Level Poster
Mine was exactly the same. I bought some Antec cable extensions and brought the cable in from the bottom. Being much less bulky, they fitted in the gap below my motherboard. Looks much better now.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I will need to figure out where I could stuff all the excess length produced by adding an extension with that approach, but might be an economical option.

robin h 25

It seems you could do with a product like the EVGA Power link...
EVGA Power link.jpg

EVGA Power link before_after.jpg

But only if there was different / more variations, as i know this won't fit on the 3000 series cards due to where the GPU connectors are, and it may not be suitable for smaller cases if you have a longer GPU, but something like this would seem to be ideal.

It does give a much cleaner look...
Clean.jpg

CMP01

Enthusiast
It seems you could do with a product like the EVGA Power link...
View attachment 31984
View attachment 31985

But only if there was different / more variations, as i know this won't fit on the 3000 series cards due to where the GPU connectors are, and it may not be suitable for smaller cases if you have a longer GPU, but something like this would seem to be ideal.

It does give a much cleaner look...
View attachment 31986

Nice. And now I'm a little torn between leaving as is or going shopping. Again.
Looks to be very beneficial for you though, with bottom fans that leave no room for resting the cables under the GPU. I have a PSU/drive cage shroud thingy for that at least, and no room for bottom fans even if I didn't.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I will need to figure out where I could stuff all the excess length produced by adding an extension with that approach, but might be an economical option.

I just folded and tied whatever was left after routing around the cabling space as best I could into the gap between the PSU and drive cage. It's not the tidiest ever but after connecting the two ends I had 2 feet each of 2 power and 1 mobo cables to stash away somewhere. On the bright side though, those individually sheathed cables allow for placing combs on them so they can pack away flatter.

robin h 25

Nice. And now I'm a little torn between leaving as is or going shopping. Again.
Looks to be very beneficial for you though, with bottom fans that leave no room for resting the cables under the GPU. I have a PSU/drive cage shroud thingy for that at least, and no room for bottom fans even if I didn't.
I wish that was my PC, but unfortunately it's not, I googled a PC build image with the EVGA Power link in use, and that's the cleanest one i found just to show it off what it looks like,

Here's mine, It's not as clean as that white build, though i do have the same case "Corsair Crystal Series 680X" in black...
20210820_150032.jpg

GPU support t.jpg

If EVGA did have a Power link to fit the 3000 series card, it wouldn't fit in mine, My 3080ti is just to big and long as the EVGA Power link would be right up against the front fans and no space at all to plug in the PCIe cables,

My cable's are running underneath the GPU, and i have no fans on the bottom of the case.

Last edited:

CMP01

Enthusiast
I wish that was my PC, but unfortunately it's not, I googled a PC build image with the EVGA Power link in use, and that's the cleanest one i found just to show it off what it looks like,

Here's mine, It's not as clean as that white build, though i do have the same case "Corsair Crystal Series 680X" in black... View attachment 31997
View attachment 31998

If EVGA did have a Power link to fit the 3000 series card, it wouldn't fit in mine, My 3080ti is just to big and long as the EVGA Power link would be right up against the front fans and no space at all to plug in the PCIe cables,

My cable's are running underneath the GPU, and i have no fans on the bottom of the case.

Ah, my bad. Still, I think I like yours more with it's carnival flavour in these dark days even though mine is lit more like the 'not yours' pic, whitey/blue but is darker overall.
Looks like I'd have a bit more room between GPU and fans for a power link but tbh I can't find any details re one fitting my card nm any in stock rn.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
What brand did you buy Rich?
These, 50cm would have been better, 30cm did it but was a bit of a fiddle to get the GPU connectors in the right place and there isn't a lot of room in the cable section to hide the 24pin plug/socket

There is cheaper out there but these seem pretty good quality, i did look at Cablemod but read some pretty poor reviews of quality of pin termination

Corsair also do their own which are probably the way to go if you can justify the cost

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks Rich. LINKUP is a brand I've seen frequently in my search alright. Cablemod seem well rated, but expensive. And EZDIY-FAB purchasers say they are very stiff, which might not suit me as I likely need to angle the cable from the connections to the grommets, they're not directly aligned.

The Corsair one I linked to might be the economical option, given that my CPU cables are not visible so little value in changing them, and my 24pin is not too bad looking.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To update on end result: I went ahead with the Corsair PCIe cable option, and routed them up from the PSU shroud/basement up to the connectors on the GPU. Obscures the RGB on the card a bit but I felt it was the neatest approach, given the placement of the connections relative to the grommets etc.

The only negative to the Corsair cables was that they only came with a single comb, so I ordered a pack of Akasa black cable combs which fit well. Happy with the end result.

Now I need to try and stop spending money on "extras" for the PC!

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To update on end result: I went ahead with the Corsair PCIe cable option, and routed them up from the PSU shroud/basement up to the connectors on the GPU. Obscures the RGB on the card a bit but I felt it was the neatest approach, given the placement of the connections relative to the grommets etc.

The only negative to the Corsair cables was that they only came with a single comb, so I ordered a pack of Akasa black cable combs which fit well. Happy with the end result.

Now I need to try and stop spending money on "extras" for the PC!
Where are the before and after pictures god dammit ;)