Laptop Dock won't recognise my external monitor

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
I recently recieved my new Valeon Laptop. I bought this dock https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WWWXTW7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my usb devices, and ethernet and external monitors since I will be moving the laptop around a bit.

The USB devices and ethernet are working but it won't recognize any of my external monitors (via the dock's HDMI ports). It does however work if I plug directly into the laptop (via HDMI).

It might just be that the dock sucks but the reviews don't mention this issue. Before I shell out for a different one does anyone have any ideas?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I recently recieved my new Valeon Laptop. I bought this dock https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WWWXTW7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my usb devices, and ethernet and external monitors since I will be moving the laptop around a bit.

The USB devices and ethernet are working but it won't recognize any of my external monitors (via the dock's HDMI ports). It does however work if I plug directly into the laptop (via HDMI).

It might just be that the dock sucks but the reviews don't mention this issue. Before I shell out for a different one does anyone have any ideas?
Is this the previous 15" valeon or the new 17"?

Bhuna50

Author Level
I cannot see that the dock you have bought does DP1.2 - just HDMI.

Looking at the Detailed spec for the Valeon 17" - it is only DP1.2 via USB-c - not HDMI

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, that's fine then, that definitely has Display Port over USB C.

Can you upload a screenshot of your device manager?
dvc.jpg

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
I cannot see that the dock you have bought does DP1.2 - just HDMI.

Looking at the Detailed spec for the Valeon 17" - it is only DP1.2 via USB-c - not HDMI
Oh no! So I can't use this dock to extend my display? I need a usb-c dock with display ports rather than HDMI and then HDMI to Display Port cables?

I should note the external monitors are only 1080p

Bhuna50

Author Level
I think you need usb-c to dock. Then display port (dock) to display port (monitor)

I might be wrong and have just logged off laptop so will research a bit more tomorrow for you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think you need usb-c to dock. Then display port (dock) to display port (monitor)

I might be wrong and have just logged off laptop so will research a bit more tomorrow for you.
HDMI and DP are both digital display technologies.

Docks will convert signal fine to HDMI from DP over USB C

Try disconnecting everything, plugin the USB C to the laptop, then add one monitor.

What resolution are the monitors?

Bhuna50

Author Level
It’s just I can remember someone having a similar problem and they had to get a DP cable. I will search forum tomorrow as on phone viewing.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
HDMI and DP are both digital display technologies.

Docks will convert signal fine to HDMI from DP over USB C

Try disconnecting everything, plugin the USB C to the laptop, then add one monitor.

What resolution are the monitors?

Nope, still failing to recognize the monitors. Monitors are 1920 by 1080

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Done & restarted.

However, the problem persists.
I have no idea.

The only thing I can think is that the dock isn't getting enough power from the USB C port on the laptop. It needs 100W, I have no idea if that port allows that or not, can't find anything concrete on the configurator and not familiar with USB C standard related to power delivery.

May be worth running it past PCS to be sure what that USB C port gives.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
I have no idea.

The only thing I can think is that the dock isn't getting enough power from the USB C port on the laptop. It needs 100W, I have no idea if that port allows that or not, can't find anything concrete on the configurator and not familiar with USB C standard related to power delivery.

May be worth running it past PCS to be sure what that USB C port gives.
Dam. Appreciate all the help though!

The dock also has its own power input, however, using this does not resolve the problem. Also, it would be a bit strange for it work with my USB devices (which require power) but not the displays (which have their own power sources)