Fans not working on Geforce 3080 RTX?

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

Just got my new PC this weekend. Had lots of issues with it. At first it wouldn't start (1 long beep proceeded by 3 short beeps). After about 4 attempts and pushing at some connectors I managed to get it working. Then I couldn't get windows to shut it down or go in to sleep mode. Think I've fixed that now as well.

Anyway, since I've had all these issues I have noticed that the fans on the Geforce 3080 RTX GPU aren't working. They spin when the PC initially starts up (so they are connected) but then don't move even when playing full screen video and scrubbing through the time line in Maya. Not sure if it's a problem or not. According to HWmonitor the GPU hasn't gone higher than 49oC. Could it be that it hasn't got hot enough to initiate the fans?

Mike.

This is my machine spec if it helps:

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY 2 LIGHT TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core CPU (3.8GHz - 4.5GHz, 142MB CACHE)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME TRX40-PRO (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Gpu fans don't activate until they reach a certain temperature.

Sounds like you haven't configured hardware acceleration in Maya? Doesn't sound like the GPU is being used?

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
My own GFX card's fans don't spin up at all until circa 50 degrees, you could get software from whoever made it, and attempt to run them manually, or just run Heaven or some other intensive benchmark to see if they work, but modern cards don't spin up until they need to.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Depends on the fan curve set for GPU. If it’s set to only start fans when GPU temp hits 50C, then fans won’t kick in while PC is idle or low GPU usage. You can try running a benchmark like Heaven or 3DMark to push the GPU and confirm fans kick in

Personally, I use MSI Afterburner to set a custom curve for GPU fans and then only start at 50C.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks everyone. You've put y mind to rest :)
Don't settle for how it's operating now, you need to get Maya using the GPU, it's fairly straightforward, otherwise you're not utilising the full power of the machine and relying solely on the processor

Wildnomad

Bronze Level Poster
Don't settle for how it's operating now, you need to get Maya using the GPU, it's fairly straightforward, otherwise you're not utilising the full power of the machine and relying solely on the processor

Thanks Spyder. Maya says it is actually using the geforce GPU. In fact it doesn't give me the option to use the CPU strangely. Still doesn't raise the temperature above 47 degrees even on an intensive render. Just installed Unreal Engine and that got the GPU's attention for sure. Fans wurring nicely :)