RGB Keyboard flickers

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Hey,

I bought a new laptop about two months ago, as follow:

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
2 x Defiance Series Battery Pack (One Spare, Requires Assembly)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
15" DEFIANCE SERIES UK KEYBOARD

It is running the default W10 install.

Tonight, I noticed that the RGB keyboard LEDs are flickering a bit, especially whilst fading up and fading out. Being plugged in or on battery makes no difference, and the issue is clearly noticeable at night.

I have noticed for the first time tonight but it could have started anytime before. Looks a bit like a power issue to me, what do you think? I'm not really sure what other steps I can take in regards to this, it's a 1.5k+ laptop so I'd rather it behaved properly.

Here is a video I hope shows the issue clearly!

Thank you

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey,

I bought a new laptop about two months ago, as follow:

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
2 x Defiance Series Battery Pack (One Spare, Requires Assembly)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
15" DEFIANCE SERIES UK KEYBOARD

It is running the default W10 install.

Tonight, I noticed that the RGB keyboard LEDs are flickering a bit, especially whilst fading up and fading out. Being plugged in or on battery makes no difference, and the issue is clearly noticeable at night.

I have noticed for the first time tonight but it could have started anytime before. Looks a bit like a power issue to me, what do you think? I'm not really sure what other steps I can take in regards to this, it's a 1.5k+ laptop so I'd rather it behaved properly.

Here is a video I hope shows the issue clearly!

Thank you
It's unclear as you haven't posted the full specs, did you pay for windows or install your own copy?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Ah! I had ordered without Windows but in the end activated the test version it came with.

Then, I installed all drivers packaged on my account online. Didn't have any issues with anything else.

Do you think I need to install a fresh Windows?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah! I had ordered without Windows but in the end activated the test version it came with.

Then, I installed all drivers packaged on my account online. Didn't have any issues with anything else.

Do you think I need to install a fresh Windows?
You can't use the test version as it's not configured. You need to do a full clean install.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Damn! Interesting. I also thought this originally but Windows official wording lets you think otherwise, it pretty much says verbatim that you can simply activate the test version and it will self configure as a regular Windows install.

Ok so; can I just install any official Windows 10 image on there? And then I just need to install all drivers? Or is there another process?

Also; is there a way for me to reinstall a fresh Windows and use a backup of my current install to reinstall all the apps and documents?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok so; can I just install any official Windows 10 image on there? And then I just need to install all drivers? Or is there another process?
You use the latest image from Microsoft. It's just a normal clean install.

Also; is there a way for me to reinstall a fresh Windows and use a backup of my current install to reinstall all the apps and documents?
You can't backup programs, windows doesn't work like that. All your data will be on a separate drive so there's no need to touch that. You only need to format the c drive.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Cool! Can you confirm if I need to install all PCS drivers after the clean install?

I should say the keyboard flicker happens before the laptop boots into windows as well... Are you still edging towards a faulty W10 install?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cool! Can you confirm if I need to install all PCS drivers after the clean install?

I should say the keyboard flicker happens before the laptop boots into windows as well... Are you still edging towards a faulty W10 install?
The windows installation isn't faulty, it's just not configured as there's no need to for testing.

If you've ordered without windows it's understood you know how to configure it yourself.

Apologies, I'm sure someone else may give instructions.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
'Configure' is a very vague term in that scenario.

Fine, I'll give it a go later and report back if it fixed it. I'm still thinking it has more to do with a power issue in the chassis though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
'Configure' is a very vague term in that scenario.

Fine, I'll give it a go later and report back if it fixed it. I'm still thinking it has more to do with a power issue in the chassis though.
Until youre on a stable windows we can't do any troubleshooting as the software isn't correct.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Hey! I've just reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows! I've done my windows update and downloaded control centre 3.0 from Windows Store.

The issue is sadly still present... Any ideas for troubleshooting?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Me again! Discovered a new issue with the headphone jack output on the laptop, which makes a very audible click occasionally... Might be related? I've installed the clevo audio drivers and SBX on the fresh Windows but no luck.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Me again! Discovered a new issue with the headphone jack output on the laptop, which makes a very audible click occasionally... Might be related? I've installed the clevo audio drivers and SBX on the fresh Windows but no luck.
Can you take a screenshot of your windows update and optional updates pages?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
For sure.

1651149320642.png

1651149334885.png

1651149352907.png

1651149377108.png

1651149392128.png

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
I see where you are going with this, and I had a look before posting here; no unknown device, yellow triangle and the audio devices are detected as it should.

I'll send a pic later today and I can even send a recording of the click, but I am doubting the software trouble as it is and think it has more something to do with power in the motherboard, as per my OP