First time AMD Build

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
I've largely been an Intel guy my entire gaming life but after seeing all the good stuff AMD has been coming out with the last few years I decided to try something different. Went for this in the end and pretty happy with it, granted the graphics card could have been a little higher. I am just hoping the 3070TI wont bottleneck the CPU 😬

Case
CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

MrWilson

Godlike
Hi there,
This looks a little unbalanced and could do with adjustments.
To help us spec you something more suitable please could you answer the following:
What is your budget?
What are you going to be using the PC for? e.g Gaming, Editing, Streaming, Rendering
What monitor are you pairing with this?

Aza

Rising Star
The build you have suggeested above would have some real problems, if you can give answers to what MrWilson has said, it will give a good picture of what you need from the machine.

Also, when copying the specs across from the post your specs page, can you include the link at the bottom?
It makes suggesting alternative specs much easier

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
Budget is something i'd like to keep around 2.7/2.8k
Used for Gaming mostly, some game work in UE5 as well.
Current monitor is an AOC 1080P, nothing super fancy right now

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
The build you have suggeested above would have some real problems, if you can give answers to what MrWilson has said, it will give a good picture of what you need from the machine.

Also, when copying the specs across from the post your specs page, can you include the link at the bottom?
It makes suggesting alternative specs much easier
When you say real problems, can you elaborate please?

MrWilson

Godlike
When you say real problems, can you elaborate please?
You’ve got an over specced CPU, which is being propped up by relatively under specced motherboard and cooler. Your GPU is much more geared towards 1440p Ultrawide or 4K. Your storage could also do with a bit of a reshuffle.

Reactions: Aza

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
Maybe something like 32GB RAM, ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO Motherboard and a iCUE H100i cooler?

Aza

Rising Star
What games do you play? Its very rare that a gaming system needs more than 16GB... only a handful of games benefit from more.
If you had a CPU that made use of the HERO then you would undoubtably require a higher spec cooler than a H100i, youd be taking a H150i pretty much without question

Aza

Rising Star
the 1080p monitor....are you intending to replace it? If so what would you be looking at?
For 1080p a 3060 Ti would be in the realm of (mostly) overkill theres no value at all to taking a 3070 TI

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
Currently just getting back into the gaming world, so looking at games like RDR2, Warzone, MSFS.

32GB minimum would be due to my software development work that utilises Docker and that is very RAM hungry to have multiple containers running at the same time.

The only downside is case size limitations, id be limited by the depth of the case which in turn affects GPU length along with Cooler correct?

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
I'm honestly not too bothered about things being overkill, so long as its fairly balanced, decently future-proof and wont run too hot

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
the 1080p monitor....are you intending to replace it? If so what would you be looking at?
For 1080p a 3060 Ti would be in the realm of (mostly) overkill theres no value at all to taking a 3070 TI
Eventually yes I will be to something in the 1440p range but not right now

Aza

Rising Star
Whats the measurements you can take for case size?
And yes, some GPU's wont fit in certain cases with some cooler choices etc

So important questions are -
Are you upgrading the monitor, if so, what to (resolution and refresh if no idea on actual monitor)
What size space do you have, whats the biggest size case you can take

Cant really choose a case, or know what GPU would be needed without those answers

Aza

Rising Star
Eventually yes I will be to something in the 1440p range but not right now
At £2700/£2800 theres absolutely no reason why you couldnt include a 1440p 144Hz monitor within that same budget, so thats not an issue
So it comes down to measuring teh space its gonna go, so you know what limits there are on case size.

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
Biggest would probably be around 470mm in depth, width and height arent really an issue.

As for monitor upgrades, thats more of a desk space limitation at the moment, hence the future upgrade

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
It basically replicates the infrastructure my company has via Kubernetes on my local machine and allows multiple microservices to work locally. Some are utilising really beefy third party libraries that suck up RAM and like quite a few cores to run smoothly without me waiting an age for any processing to happen.

Typically right now on my current Linux machine I allocated it 32 of my 64GB of RAM and Docker will hit around the 28/29GB mark for all of the services to run.

Aza

Rising Star
Biggest would probably be around 470mm in depth, width and height arent really an issue.

As for monitor upgrades, thats more of a desk space limitation at the moment, hence the future upgrade
Id measure the actual space, with a tape measure, so you know exactly what depth you can fit.
Also wouldnt take that CPU is meant for stuff like number crunching computational science not games, and i'd want to change your storage options and probably tweek a little too...