Checking on cooling and ease of RGB config

Aza

Rising Star
With all due respect Aza it was only a few years ago AMD lost 12.1million in a class action lawsuits with there bulldozer CPU's advertising basically fancy HT cores as real cores.
I said they dont have the same history, not that they're squeaky clean.
And its true, Intel has a far worse history than AMD does.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
With all due respect Aza it was only a few years ago AMD lost 12.1million in a class action lawsuits with there bulldozer CPU's advertising basically fancy HT cores as real cores.
That was before Lisa Su though, as far as I'm concerned before Lisa they were a totally different company with a different ethos.

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
That was before Lisa Su though, as far as I'm concerned before Lisa they were a totally different company with a different ethos.
Lisa Su is cool i'll give you that spyder :)

In response to Aza i do agree that intel being the massive entity that they have been for many decades has caused them to do whatever they like , The great thing is AMD is back to fighting form , If theres one thing the industry needs its competition.

Look at what intel was doing when bulldozer came out , 6 Generations of i7's that where 4 core / 8 thread chips.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Intel 5th gen to 10the gen was literally the same chip just overclocked little by little and with a couple more cores added in the last coupled of gens, but it was exactly the same skylake silicon.

The fact they could have easily released 10th gen in 2015 if frustrating although obviously that would never have happened in reality.

It's a great thing there is proper competition again, it's created some of the greatest leaps in the last few years alone.
Lisa Su is cool i'll give you that spyder :)

In response to Aza i do agree that intel being the massive entity that they have been for many decades has caused them to do whatever they like , The great thing is AMD is back to fighting form , If theres one thing the industry needs its competition.

Look at what intel was doing when bulldozer came out , 6 Generations of i7's that where 4 core / 8 thread chips.

Aza

Rising Star
You can send in your own case
Pretty sure i've seen it on overclockers, you should even be able to give the delivery address as PCS so it goes straight to them.
I think its been spoken about in the past, and instructions were to contact PCS to let them know whats going on, include the order number as part of the address label when you order from the other place and then PCS start building once its arrived/your queue position is up

"TO: PCS C/O Order xxxxxxx, rest of address..." kinda thing.

Aza

Rising Star
I'm not entirely sure you can get the H500M in white....Coolermaster themselves don't list it as a colour option on their website (and CM posted on a Reddit 4 years ago that they had no plans for a white variant):

The 500P does come in white though:

.... you're right, its the TD500 ive seen that was available in white on overclockers.

Famicus

Are there any 4k ultrawide options out there around 1k?nsomeone mentioned Samsungs Odyssey 9 - that's out of budget. I think I saw a 32" out, but the refresh was 60.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Are there any 4k ultrawide options out there around 1k?nsomeone mentioned Samsungs Odyssey 9 - that's out of budget. I think I saw a 32" out, but the refresh was 60.
4k ultrawide doest exist yet.

It's 1440 ultrawide or superwide.

So that's 3440x1440 or 5120x1440

The G9 is usually around the £1000 mark

Famicus

I thought as much. A Christmas gift, maybe?

I think my last question until new tech drops or the Fall is... what exactly are you missing out on with i7 class CPUs (AMD too) vs the i9? i9 is really beginning to feel like a hobbyist chip or one for some serious rendering.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought as much. A Christmas gift, maybe?

I think my last question until new tech drops or the Fall is... what exactly are you missing out on with i7 class CPUs (AMD too) vs the i9? i9 is really beginning to feel like a hobbyist chip or one for some serious rendering.
I can't comment on that as I'm hugely biased.

But I'll say it anyway, the i9 is a BETA chip, Intel have sidestepped a recall but that's what should have happened, it's not fit for purpose.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh dude - hows that G9 treating you? Does it.... blow your mind?!!
It's the best thing to ever enter my life. And until I get a proper system with RTX graphics I'm not even experiencing it anywhere nears it's full potential. They're amazing despite drawbacks.

Famicus

Can anyone share some advice on storage?

I'm reading some posts mentioning m.2 sticks perform best while below 50%. Does this encourage higher capacity 1st slots? Or do you still want to keep it on the small side?

Beyond that, what is the benefit of adding additional m.2s? From a cost-benefit perspective, is it better to follow up with a larger stick or step up to a larger 1/2 tb SSD?

And then the same comparison between the SSD and even larger capacity 3.5s. I have so many 1/2/4 TB externals from previous jobs. Cloud storage as well. I know I'll never be short on the storage I need, but I am spending good money on this device. I would like to enjoy some convenience and utility.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Can anyone share some advice on storage?

I'm reading some posts mentioning m.2 sticks perform best while below 50%. Does this encourage higher capacity 1st slots? Or do you still want to keep it on the small side?

Beyond that, what is the benefit of adding additional m.2s? From a cost-benefit perspective, is it better to follow up with a larger stick or step up to a larger 1/2 tb SSD?

And then the same comparison between the SSD and even larger capacity 3.5s. I have so many 1/2/4 TB externals from previous jobs. Cloud storage as well. I know I'll never be short on the storage I need, but I am spending good money on this device. I would like to enjoy some convenience and utility.

The more drives you have the more lanes you have. You want to keep the OS lane as clear as you can, so it's best to only put the OS & regular use programs on the primary drive.

Limiting the size of the primary drive just promotes good house keeping. If you're aware that you have a threshold of 250GB, you're far less likely to fill it up with unrelated stuff. When it comes time to reformat/backup etc, the primary drive can be wiped almost without hesitation, as you know that everything you need is on your storage drive. This is the reason that 500GB is typically recommended (always by me). The OS will end up around 100GB by the time everything is taken into consideration. This leaves around 50-100GB of Program storage (which is more than enough) and another 50GB or so for other stuffs. IMO this is plenty regardless.

For the secondary drive, you have a second lane for game-loading, fast storage, direct drive access, etc. This is very much a quality of life purchase. The better/faster the drive you get, the better luxury you have with loading/transferring etc. We would always recommend a 1TB secondary drive, at least an M2 Gen3 drive..... where the budget allows Gen4 is typically recommended with the impending Direct Drive improvements.

So..... the budget recommendation, from me, would be 500GB 980 Pro paired with a 1TB Intel 670. If there's more budget, the 500GB 980 pro would still be recommended as the primary with perhaps the 1TB+ Firecuda 530. The Firecuda is the fastest and most reliable drive available but to get the most of the speeds it needs to be over 1TB (hence I favour the 980 for the primary).

Last edited:

Famicus

Awesome guidance there. And then of course adding in a larger capacity is purely a case of available budget afterwards.

Thanks!

Famicus

One consideration for a secondary gaming drive size: What games do you play regularly (ie at least once a week so you don't want to keep moving games between drives)? On my Xbox which has comparable game sizes to PC (although some are smaller), I have a core of probably 7 games I play weekly minimum and they take up over 500GB. there are some games which are obscenely massive...one of the COD games is 150GB on it's own.
Ah - good question. I'm just getting to the end of my new dad phase. Kids are more independent, and by god I have a long list of AAA to get cracking on. I never even got to enjoy Skyrim, y'all!

Lol is my main for keeping up w my USA friends, but beyond that I'll probably work with rust, one AAA at a time, emulators, and obs.

Famicus

Back with another question.

Was watching an h500m build:

It looks as if he ran into clearance issues with the top mounted rad and exhaust fans when he got to the AIO portion. Given my h500m case, Mobo, and the h150i, would we hit the same problem?

In the video, Bitwit addressed it by separating the fans from the rad, placing the rad internally up top and the fans on the 'exterior' top. Kind of flipping the usual config. In this case my worry is the impact to the RGB lighting and ofc performance.

If there is a space issue, how would PCS handle it? How does PCs handle similar snags?

The video also talked about the various power source shroud configs. Namely removing the front end and the drive caddy under it for better airflow. What's the best method in communicating with PCs about this?