BSOD Error

nav112

Gold Level Poster
Hey
This is a PCS machine (can get the specs in a sec), and i have been experiencing a few weird and strange errors, for example, when my PC is idle, it will sometimes bluescreen randomly, but then, if i am playing a game on it, it will not crash. Then, when i close the game and idle, it may crash then,
I have fixed the issue by locking my CPU Hz to 3.6Ghz (base clock), but obviously this is not a proper solution, does anyone have any idea as to what can cause this?

nav112

Gold Level Poster
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Quad Core CPU with Vega Graphics (3.6GHz-4.0GHz/6MB CACHE/AM4)
Change to: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad Core CPU (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/18MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 580 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

nav112

Gold Level Poster
After months of this issue i have found the actual issue
Its with the way the cpu boosts up and down
So, if i put the minimum processor state to 99%, the cpu will not BSOD (hasnt bsod in 3 days of being on, different workloads)
If i put it to 5% (the default) it does the same old crash
what shall i do now? replace motherboard? check PSU? RMA cpu?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
After months of this issue i have found the actual issue
Its with the way the cpu boosts up and down
So, if i put the minimum processor state to 99%, the cpu will not BSOD (hasnt bsod in 3 days of being on, different workloads)
If i put it to 5% (the default) it does the same old crash
what shall i do now? replace motherboard? check PSU? RMA cpu?
That's not a fix, all that's doing is nerfing the performance of the processor. It's not a solution. it's a workaround at best, but a poor one.

The error code is a driver issue.

I'd suggest a clean install.

nav112

Gold Level Poster
That's not a fix, all that's doing is nerfing the performance of the processor. It's not a solution. it's a workaround at best, but a poor one.

The error code is a driver issue.

I'd suggest a clean install.
What do you recommend the minimum processor state be?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What do you recommend the minimum processor state be?
It's default value, should never be changed, or certainly lowered rather than raised. All you've done is hugely increase the rest state of the processor before sleep, but it's not fixing anything, the issue that's occurring needs to be fixed to stop it occurring in the first place, not worked around so it's never triggered. You'll see far higher electricity bills currently if you leave that setting on aside from other issues.

I have done like 5 clean installs with this same problem.

So the assumption must be that the clean install is not correct.

How are you sourcing drivers.

What process are you going through for the install? How are you processing partitions?

Last edited:

nav112

Gold Level Poster
It's default value, should never be changed, or certainly lowered rather than raised. All you've done is hugely increase the rest state of the processor before sleep, but it's not fixing anything, the issue that's occurring needs to be fixed to stop it occurring in the first place, not worked around so it's never triggered. You'll see far higher electricity bills currently if you leave that setting on aside from other issues.

What process are you going through for the install? How are you processing partitions?
For reinstall I am doing:

format every drive when on the win10 reinstall usb
clean install win10
update through windows updates, including optional updates
then download amd drivers from website and use the clean install option which deletes all existing display drivers then restarts and installs the new ones

nav112

Gold Level Poster

I think that its a hardware issue in the first place as it shouldnt have persisted over many windows installs if its software, do you see where i am coming from?

nav112

Gold Level Poster
What do you mean by this, are you specifically formatting each partition and then installing where?
No
in the setup there is an option to delete whats on the partition, then format it so it becomes part of unallocated space
that is what i am doing, then i install it on the unallocated space that is my ssd

nav112

Gold Level Poster
I honestly think that its a hardware issue purely for that fact that it stops when the cpu is downclocked, which to me suggests that there is a power delivery issue somewhere

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
in the setup there is an option to delete whats on the partition, then format it so it becomes part of unallocated space
Ok, so this is what I'm trying to clarify.

This isn't the case, it's not possible to format a partition that doesn't exist.

format every drive when on the win10 reinstall usb
This would suggest you're formatting each partition on every drive which would suggest you don't undertsadn the process of a clean install. There is only one system drive.

I'm not trying to be clever although I realise that's how I'm coming across, just genuinely trying to figure out what process you're taking to find out why the issue isn't going.

A lot of people don't know the process of a clean install and when you try to fathom which part they're getting wrong they seem to try to cover their mistakes which makes troubleshooting a hell of a lot more difficult.

From what you've said so far, either the partitions aren't being correctly deleted, although I think I understand what you're meaning but it's best never to assume. Or that it's an issue with chipset driver not being manually installed along with GPU drivers, or that there's a RAM issue.

nav112

Gold Level Poster
My warranty with PCS is over now so any changes would be done by myself
Ok, so this is what I'm trying to clarify.

This isn't the case, it's not possible to format a partition that doesn't exist.

This would suggest you're formatting each partition on every drive which would suggest you don't undertsadn the process of a clean install. There is only one system drive.

I'm not trying to be clever although I realise that's how I'm coming across, just genuinely trying to figure out what process you're taking to find out why the issue isn't going.

A lot of people don't know the process of a clean install and when you try to fathom which part they're getting wrong they seem to try to cover their mistakes which makes troubleshooting a hell of a lot more difficult.

From what you've said so far, either the partitions aren't being correctly deleted, although I think I understand what you're meaning but it's best never to assume. Or that it's an issue with chipset driver not being manually installed along with GPU drivers, or that there's a RAM issue.
I am being stupid.
what i mean is that i format each partition first, then delete them so that it makes one big unallocated space

chipset has been installed (latest version from website)

RAM should be fine as its passed 8 passes on memtest overnight

nav112

Gold Level Poster
I am on a very old chipset anyway, and its time for a motherboard upgrade. I think i will buy a new motherboard, atleast then if it doesnt fix the problem It still benefits me.

I just cant see this being a CPU issue as the CPU can function fine, unless its a really small error that only causes BSODs and the like when something very specific happens. Perhaps I can try a different operating system and see if its related to the way windows is managing the power?