Graphics card fan noise

I putting specs together for a new computer, to be used for graphics/photo work and video. I am struggling to decide on a graphics card because I want the computer to be quiet, so don't want lots of fan noise (I'm aiming at whisper quiet!).

I've been looking at the nVidia range, because of the enhancements for Adobe software, especially Photoshop. I know it's difficult to communicate how loud a card is in words, but is the nVidia GeForce GTX465 going to be noticeably noisy? Would one of the lower cards (e.g. GT240 or GTS250 be quieter)? Would I notice the difference for the type of work I'm going to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Gary

Sweeney47

im not so sure on this but generally fan speeds on graphics cards are low when 'idle' so as long as you're not doing anything that requires your graphics card doing a lot of work, it should remain quiet. I have an 8800GTX which although plays everything fine, is quite old now and I dont really notice it unless I put the fan speed up when im playing a high end game. Its quite a hot card which is why I have to put the fan speed up and even then I dont 'have' to, its got a rediculous melting temperature...

Gorman

Author Level
When you crank up the CUDA capabilities of the card it will get noticable. If you put it in the Sileo case it will be barely noticeable. I used to run a GTX 280 in one and could hardly hear it from my desk.

Thanks for the very helpful replies - an nVidia GTX 465 in a Sileo case it is! (Actually, I was already intending to use the Sileo case anyway).

One more question: I've noted in a couple of online reviews of the Sileo case that it has 2x 120mm case fans, but that these are not fitted with filters. Would it be possible to have dust filters fitted to the fans as part of the build?

Thanks,

Gary

Gorman

Author Level
Thanks for the very helpful replies - an nVidia GTX 465 in a Sileo case it is! (Actually, I was already intending to use the Sileo case anyway).

One more question: I've noted in a couple of online reviews of the Sileo case that it has 2x 120mm case fans, but that these are not fitted with filters. Would it be possible to have dust filters fitted to the fans as part of the build?

Thanks,

Gary

Unfortunately the case design doesnt allow for this, will it be in a particularly dusty environment?

Unfortunately the case design doesnt allow for this, will it be in a particularly dusty environment?

Not especially dusty - just a bedroom. But, I blow the dust out of my current computer (which has smaller fans!) about twice a year, and thought if I could have fan filters it would make this job easier (i.e. I could just wash/clean the filters). Can standard fan filters that are available from places like QuietPC.com not be used on these fans?

Gary

Gorman

Author Level
The intake at the front is the one that needs it and AFAIK there is very little or no space to put a filter in there.

Thanks, Gorman. Are there other similar silent cases that you do which would allow a filter? Or, do you think that the air holes in the Sileo are small enough for this not to be an issue?

Gary

Gorman

Author Level
The sileo is the most suitable case we do for a quiet machine.

To be fair dust was never an issue for me with that case, and i had a fairly high spec machine inside it, heat was ok too. If its a problem you can always take the front fan out and put it in a pair of tights!

Its not a visible component and it works :p