One for the fanboys...

GazzaScotland

Bronze Level Poster
This one could turn out to be quite fun aswell as helpful.

Thinking between the HD5870 and the GTX 480. I've been out of the loop for too long to know who's what and where. Is the GTX worth the extra cash? As, well the 5970 is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Last edited:

PaulH

Bright Spark
Yes, the GTX480 is the best single GPU card out there, much better than the 5870 :) - But does run hotter and the fan is louder, but if your a gamer, that doesnt matter, it really is a beast of a card :)

Save and get the 5970 though :)

Gorman

Author Level
At the moment, PaulH is right about the 480.

I would be tempted to wait for the top end refresh thats due.

GazzaScotland

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, the noise wouldn't be an issue. I could be tempted to go for something cheaper, and wait till I've got the extra cash further down the line for a step up. As the 5970 is some piece of kit. Since it is still a few months till I head back to Uni (Games Development degree).

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Crossfire / SLI if your going to use top end cards. Gets expensive though!

The best and most reliable solution at the minute is a single card, 5870 or 480. Will dominate any game out at the minute. Personally i would wait for the refresh and to see what is next on the top end from Nvidia and Ati.

PaulH

Bright Spark
In all honesty ATis main problem has been drivers with the "x2" cards and we saw massive failure rates on them, a thorn in our side so to speak, however the 5970 is fantastic in return rates, we have had hardly any, however they are very expensive, i would just go for a single card at the minute, ifyour doing a gaming degree, id be tempted with the nvidia route, Physx is immense :)

GazzaScotland

Bronze Level Poster
A quick follow on question, for both the 5870 and the 480. Do you guys deal with a specific brand for the GPU's, or is it just a case whats available? Ta!

Gorman

Author Level
On launch its usually whats availiable! Then once stock becomes easier to get its whoever puts a good card out closest to reference at a good price!