Dual Screen Problem

Duncan70

Hi guys,

I received my new computer yesterday and have been very happy with everything apart from one issue I just can't seem to fix, no matter what I try.

I have the exact same screen set up as I did with my old PC, I have a 22" Philips PC Monitor as my main display, and I use my 32" Samsung TV as a second display. I have always used the same resolutions being 1680x1050 for my 22" screen and 1920x1080 for my TV.

However, with my new PC this hasn't been possible with my TV as the second screen. In the Nvidia Control Panel it only names this screen as "Analogue Display" (whereas it used to recognise it as being a samsung screen). It has the exact same connection as it did on my old PC and yet whenever I try to go above a resolution of 1680x1050 it either just doesnt register the change or horrible grey boxes appear on the screen with the rest just black. I have absolutely no idea how to fix it and have tried things such as:

- Only using the Samsung TV, as the main and only monitor
- Switching the connections on the graphics card
- Updating Nvidia drivers
- Updating Windows 7
- Removing the monitor from the device manager
- Using Samsung drivers
- Using a different VGA adapter
- Wiping and removing Nvidia drivers completely from the PC
- Using the Windows method of changing resolution

There isn't really much else I can think of, and I am sure no hardware is at fault as the cable works on other peoples PC's, the adapter works, the TV is fine in all other ways, and the Graphics Card is working perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong here?

System Specs are as followed:

- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Intel Core i5 2500
- 4GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 570

Gorman

Author Level
If the Nvidia control panel is showing the TV as a standard screen and not giving a model number, the drivers for the TV are not working right.

I would concentrate your efforts there. Apart from the PC what else has changed, version of windows etc?

Duncan70

I did think that and to make sure I just did a software upgrade to the TV itself again to make sure that is all working fine, and it seems to be.

When I got the new PC I just disconnected my old one and hooked up my new one, nothing hardware-wise changed that is non-PC.

The last graphics card was an Nvidia 6200 (or round about) so its always been Nvidia. My version of windows hasnt changed or anything like that, its the same version I had on my old PC - Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Is it something to do with windows and device manager perhaps? I can only guess thats the next place to work on ... but I really dont know what can / is wrong regarding this screen and GFX card.

Thanks for your help so far!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Are there any problems showing in device manager like yellow question mark or anything?

Duncan70

There is only one problem / yellow symbol that appears in the Device Manager list and that is regarding:

Other Device
- PCI Simple Communications Controller

Which from my research tells me its just an on board modem, is that right?

And theres no problems anywhere else it seems

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yeah,I can only suggest its some setting in nvidia control panel,or try uninstalling & reinstalling graphics driver again.

Duncan70

I have been playing around with the Nvidia Control Panel for a while and nothing really seems to be any different, when I choose 1920x1080 it looks like the screen is very broken, but almost any other resolutions at or below 1680x1050 work fine ....

And I have updated the graphics drivrs to the newest driver, I have rolled back to previous versions, I have wiped them clean, I have let windows install them, I have used the CD I got with the PC to install them, but none of that seems to work ... there is a mini-HDMI output on my GTX 570 - would this be worth buying a cable for to see if it works, or would it not be my VGA cable thats the problem if its working for some resolutions?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I think maybe it's your tv that doesnt support resolutions above that for vga,i know mine doesn't,check your tv manual,it may be worth getting hdmi lead,certainly better quality with a tv.

pengipete

Rising Star
I think Vanthus has the answer. The maximum through the VGA port on our Toshiba TV is 1280 X 1024 @ 75Hz and the pixel clock frequency would have to be 135MHz.

For Duncan70...

...don't ignore that yellow triangle - It's hard to believe that a simple modem would be missing from Windows 7 list of drivers. "PCI Simple Communications Controller" covers dozens of devices so open Device Manager and double click in the device, go to the "Details" tab and check the device name and hardware ID. You can then do a search via Google to see what device it actually is and find the right drivers or post back if you have a problem.

Regarding the mini HDMI, you can buy a mini>full lead or an adaptor for an existing HDMI lead. Alternatively, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor. They'll all do the same job so if you already have a long HDMI lead lying around, you can save a few quid by buying one of the adaptors (widely available and dirt cheap).

Duncan70

I think Vanthus has the answer. The maximum through the VGA port on our Toshiba TV is 1280 X 1024 @ 75Hz and the pixel clock frequency would have to be 135MHz.

For Duncan70...

...don't ignore that yellow triangle - It's hard to believe that a simple modem would be missing from Windows 7 list of drivers. "PCI Simple Communications Controller" covers dozens of devices so open Device Manager and double click in the device, go to the "Details" tab and check the device name and hardware ID. You can then do a search via Google to see what device it actually is and find the right drivers or post back if you have a problem.

Regarding the mini HDMI, you can buy a mini>full lead or an adaptor for an existing HDMI lead. Alternatively, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor. They'll all do the same job so if you already have a long HDMI lead lying around, you can save a few quid by buying one of the adaptors (widely available and dirt cheap).

It would definately make sense about the maximum resolution through VGA however with my computer I was using before this new one I had it at 1920x1080 with the same cable set up. I think I will buy an adapter seeing as how I have a HDMI cable spare and see if this helps out at all.

I have been looking at the device manager and searching the codes has gotten me various russian websites and the few english ones it has found seems to be regarding either the new Sandy Bridge CPU's or the ASUS motherboad I have. I'm not having any luck so far with finding drivers for them though.

The Hardware ID for the PCI Simple Communications Controller (the only thing with a warning attached in the Device Manager list) are as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&CC_0780

I do appreciate all the help from everyone, so thanks!

Gorman

Author Level
Fisrt thing i would do about the unidentified device is pop the mobo cd in, then in device manager select update driver and then point the wizard to the cd.

ac427

Intel device

See if Unknown Device Identifier helps - http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

What board is it?

I have the same issue with the following hardware:
I have the ASUS P8P67 Motherboard with a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X video card with Win 7 Pro

Using "Unknown Device Identifier" the device is idetified as an Intel device.

I will install the chipset drivers again
The board has the latest BIOS and i only got it 5 days ago

Beradon

I know the thread is a little older but I ran across it while googling the same issue for my Asus P8H67-M Pro.

The PCI Simple Communications controller that lies at hardware id:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_04

Is the Intel Management Engine Interface. If you install that driver off the motherboard CD it will go away.

Last edited: