Multiple issues with new pc I just recieved yesterday.

Asam

Hello,

So last night I finnaly recieved my pc, after ordering it a week and a half ago, I was delighted and could not wait to get it up and running...But problems were awaiting ahead.

So I get my pc up and running, thinking yes this is great, as I was sat there admiring its slick looking case and while it was booting up...and then..poof...it just goes dead on me!

After this everytime I tried to turn it on, the pc would boot up for like a second or so, and then gone again..

To my frustration I could not figure out what the cause of the issue was, checked all the wiring etc, was hooked upto it correctly, which it was. Checked the switch on the back of the pc to ensure it was on, it was..I just cound't figure out what it was, so as hard as I was raging, I decided theres nothing I could do about it and would have return/get some support on it the next day...

So 30minutes later, I come back into my room and am just about to get into bed, I think what the heck, lets give it one more shot..Pressed the on button,...OFMG?WE HAVE LIFE!Yes thats right, for some strange reason ,it was working and I was grinning away and telling it how I always knew it woundn't let me down..!

First thing I notice is that I have Windows 7 Home edition installed on my pc, I was like wah??I stated no operating system was required, but I was like meh I can deal with it aslong as it works (I was planning on using XP)

So I get to installing all the software that has come with my pc, first thing I notice is that I have a Nvidia disc, I was stumped as I had gone with ATI (even tho I got a ATI disc also). So installing all the discs and everything seems fine, did I mention to you I use a wireless connection? So naturally I ordered a wireless PCI card to be installed within the pc also.

I come accross the software for the wireless pci card, pop it into my pc and get a error message. I cant remember what the exact error message was, but it would not let me run the disc. Hmm I thought to myself, whats the issue? So I attempted to install it on my brothers pc and it seemed to work fine...Looked at the user guide for the software, it states it dont support Windows 7...

Ahh great, another issue I'm going to have to deal with. So because I want fast internet, I decide to go with windows XP after all, so I could install the relevant software for my wireless card. An hour later I successfully installed XP, and ofcourse I had to pretty much wipe everything that was on the pc :(

So that leaves me in my current state I am in at the moment, I have installed everything that has come with the pc all software etc. Yet my connection is extreamly weak. Its always at around 10% signal strength..To make sure it wasn't my router, I tried my old belking dongle, and lo and behold it was working fine, good signal and everything.

The other main issue I have is I am now missing alot of my drivers..when I go to device manager, there is a section there that is listed as "other" which has around 5-7 pieces of hardware listed underneath it with a yellow ? next to it. Am I just being blatently stupid, or was I not sent a pack of drivers that my pc would use?

The piecies of hardware that were listed with a yellow ? were called something like (sorry I cant remember exact name, I'm at work at the moment)

Ethernet Controller?
PCI Card (this was listed twice I think)
Something to do with USB

This is the situation I'm in at the moment and would really appreciate some advice, the last thing I want/need to do is send the pc back and wait another week or two for it too arrive again.

PS: sorry for the wall of text, I was intending to call your customer support, however your phone lines are only open while I'm at work.

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Asam.

Gorman

Author Level
Hello Asam, sorry to hear youve had a bit of trouble.

On every machine we install at least a trial version of windows which allows us to run our testing software. Usually the drive is formatted before dispatch but as if someone selects "No OS" they are going to be installing their own and formatting the drive anyway, sometimes the trial version is left on.

From what i can tell you have installed XP but have not run all the included driver disks, the most important being the motherboard CD which will be marked as so, this will include all the chipset / ethernet drivers etc.

What i would do for now is double check you have covered each and every driver supplied, if the non-booting issue appears again at any point give us a shout on 0844 499 4000.

Asam

Hello Gorman, thank you for your reply.

I am sure I installed everything I possibally could off the motherboard Cd last night, but it was about 2am and I was extreamly tired, perhaps I missed something. I will give it a shot when I get back from work tonight, thanks again.

Am I also correct in thinking installing and sorting these drivers out will increase the strength of my wireless card?

Gorman

Author Level
If the wireless card has the wrong driver on the right one will not hurt. However the strength of wireless connections can be very Dependant on environment, i would make sure the antennae are on straight and extended so they stick out horizontally from the pc. Hers a pic of one bent up.

69010-attach-antenna-small.jpg

Asam

That picture you have posted is extreamly helpfull! I saw the antenna yesterday but I did not have a single clue as to where they should go! Right so tonight after work, I will try and run the motherboard disc again and sort the antenna issue to, you've given me hope Gorman! Thanks for the fast, responsive and helpfull replies! <3

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure I installed everything I possibally could off the motherboard Cd last night, but it was about 2am and I was extreamly tired, perhaps I missed something. I will give it a shot when I get back from work tonight, thanks again.

For your devices:

Ethernet Controller?
PCI Card (this was listed twice I think)
Something to do with USB

Insert your motherboard CD and ignore the window that loads up. Then navigate to Device Manager, right-click and select "update drivers". Choose your CD drive (containing the ASUS CD) as the location from which to install the drivers. This should cover most, if not all of the above. Let us know which ones you're struggling with afterwards and we'll try help you install these too :)