A few questions

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there guys,

I am going to be ordering a new PC from here at the start of August with a budget of 1400. This does need to include a 24" monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

I am swaying back and forth between a i5-750 and a Phenom II X4 965. So if anyone has any views on price/performance between these two I'd appreciate it.

I also want the rig to be fairly quiet so have been just assuming I'd get the SILEO 500, but just how big is it inside? I want a full ATX motherboard and am planning for a 5850 or 5870. Will they fit in the 500? If not can you recommend another case which is as quiet but a little bigger to fit these parts in?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure more questions will follow ;)

Tab

Gorman

Author Level
I am swaying back and forth between a i5-750 and a Phenom II X4 965. So if anyone has any views on price/performance between these two I'd appreciate it. Tab

This is down to personal opinion really, they are both nice CPU's at a good price point and they both overclock well if your into that sort of thing. There are literally endless debates about these very close performing CPU's, heres a link to a good one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272741-28-truth-phenom-updated

Heres a simplified summary:

i5 750:
1. It is faster:
2. The P55 chipset can support both SLI and Crossfire whereas the AM3 chipset can only support one or the other

Phenom II 965:

1. It costs less, ish.

Personally i go Intel, the next guy might prefer AMD.

I also want the rig to be fairly quiet so have been just assuming I'd get the SILEO 500, but just how big is it inside? I want a full ATX motherboard and am planning for a 5850 or 5870. Will they fit in the 500?

I have had a Sileo 500 and they are very quiet. You will have no issues with the 5850 or 5870 fitting (check out the new GTX 460 by the way!) but it will be a hot box not ideal for overclocking. However saying that i never had a heat issue with an I7 920 overclocked and a GTX280 in the Sileo 500.

P.S Welcome to the forums!

misterdave

Enthusiast
Hi Tabasco

I am swaying back and forth between a i5-750 and a Phenom II X4 965. So if anyone has any views on price/performance between these two I'd appreciate it.

I have to agree with Gorman on this Intel is my preference and the i5-750 is a good chip, working in the returns department gives me a good overview on failing products and I can tell you we haven't had any fail yet.

Gorman hit the nail on the head with the case too, do you know what motherboard you'd be looking at for each CPU?

also Welcome to the forums.

Gorman

Author Level
as luck would have it we have a 5850 being built into a sileo now, heres what it looks like. Tight fit but it is in there.

This machine isnt quite finished yet so ignore the rats nest of wires.

4789691557_6b834291a0.jpg

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the quick replies and welcome guys! :)

I'm not particulary bothered about overclocking this rig, needs to last as long as possible - So the Sileo is still my preferred option. That 5850 is a pretty tight fit, and you've mentioned that the Sileo ran hot with the system you had Gorman. I'm assuming going to a 5870 is not recommended as this will bump the temp up a bit more?

With regards to which type of motherboard, this is where I haven't done my homework yet, although I do require Sata6 and USB3 in whichever board I go for.

I'll post a rough system tonight or tomorrow and let y'all pick it apart :D

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
I should also ask - That 5850 looks like a custom job, do you guys offer that on the website, not seen the option before...

Gorman

Author Level
you've mentioned that the Sileo ran hot with the system you had Gorman. I'm assuming going to a 5870 is not recommended as this will bump the temp up a bit more?

It will be absolutely fine for gaming etc, you might have to sort some additional airflow if your looking for very low temps or overclocking.

As i say i ran a GTX280 (Big hot card) in with an I7 and it ran fine!

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
It will be absolutely fine for gaming etc, you might have to sort some additional airflow if your looking for very low temps or overclocking.

As i say i ran a GTX280 (Big hot card) in with an I7 and it ran fine!

Ah good. I might be able to stretch to a 5870 so that's good to know. As long as it doesn't run too hot I'm not that bothered about case temps or OC...

With regards to the 5850 pic you showed there - Do you offer a selection of makes for it or just whatever you have in stock? I know that PowerColour one does run a bit cooler...

Gorman

Author Level
Its what best fits the machine out of whatever stock we have. We do keep on top of brands and try to get in the best brand for reliability and value.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Ill play devils advocate, id go with the 965 (which I have) out of them two, it runs cooler and is basically the same performance, however, have a look at the 1055T processor, will overclock all the way up to 4ghz and still run a lot cooler than the above two - and its not much more, and its a 6 core :)

Also take into account the cost of the motherboards with Intel chips, tend to be more expensive.

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah I toyed with the idea of going for the ADM 6 core for a while there...Still an option. The Intel motherboard cost has always been a factor :)

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
So here is my picks based on a 965 and a 5850 in a Sileo. With the picture on the first page showing the 5850 can fit in a Sileo, will there be space issues also having the Fenrir?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Case
COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard
ASUS® M4A89TD PRO/USB3 : DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, CrossFireX

Memory (RAM)
4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DOMINATOR DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£79)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£110)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2407HDS 24" WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Internet 350 USB Keyboard (£8)

Mouse
Logitech® MX™518 Optical Gaming Mouse (£29)

Speakers
LOGITECH Z323 2.1 Stereo speakers with Rich bass and 360-degree sound (£39)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£39)

Meds

Hi Tabasco,

The spec looks great! I can confirm there will be no space issues if you go for the Titan Fenrir. In fact, if you look back at the pic Gorman posted yesterday of the 5850 in the Sileo, you can just part of the Titan Fenrir so it all fits in quite snug :)

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Ah good stuff. Wanted to stretch to a SSD but the Sata6 will have to do ;)

Still toying with the spec but pretty happy with it all so far...

PaulH

Bright Spark
Nope, sorry dudes, cant fit the Fenrir above dominator ram cos of the giant heatsinks on them :( - id stick with some samsung 1333mhz :)

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Nope, sorry dudes, cant fit the Fenrir above dominator ram cos of the giant heatsinks on them :( - id stick with some samsung 1333mhz :)

Ah well :(
Final (yeah right...) question for now:
If you had to go for one which would you go for - Fenrir/Samsung or other cooling/Corsair?

I *may* overclock at a later time but not that bothered, is the Fenrir overkill then?

misterdave

Enthusiast
Fenrir and Samsung, as Gorman states the Fenrir will offer the better cooling solution on the AMD chip, and the you will have to go for the Samsung anyway, but as I see it the Samsung RAM is better than the Corsair Dominator, much better for stability.

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Samsung RAM is better than the Corsair Dominator, much better for stability.

Really? That's a bit of a surprise...Good to know. Ok, almost there then - take out the Corsair sticks for Samsung and the list above is pretty close to what I'll order I think...Roll on the start of Aug \o/

Another possibly silly question but can't see an option to add a HDMI cable just DVI, is this going to change or are you not ever going to have the option to supply these?

Thanks again guys :)