Desktop icons and bootup speed

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys right what it is last day or so my pc is taking slightly longer to boot up then usewell nothing major dont get me wrong and for some reason my desktop icons take awhile to load like there there but there proper image is't showing just like a white file :confused: ive not really got that much installed so not sure what it could be pc only week old aswell

anyone any ideas how to sort this cheers

steveuk87

Super Star
hmm u tried doing a defrag and disk cleanup? also do a chkdsk to make sure one of your drivers arnt corrupt!

Steve

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
hmm u tried doing a defrag and disk cleanup? also do a chkdsk to make sure one of your drivers arnt corrupt!

Steve

Yeah steve i have advanced system optimizer that checks all my stuff

all checks come back ok so not sure whats causing it like i say its not major but i have noticed a slight slowdown in boot up and desktop icon appearing

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The more programs you install, the slower your computer will be. If it's slowed down drastically then there's likely to be a piece of software eating your system resources, and I would check your task manager to see what memory usage your programs have.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Something seems to be eating your resources, as svchost is using 143k + 82k + 12k, etc etc, perhaps Bitdefender is scanning...

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
Something seems to be eating your resources, as svchost is using 143k + 82k + 12k, etc etc, perhaps Bitdefender is scanning...

no its not bitdefender pcs that only scans once every 6 days next scan is tuesday

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
Any chance of a list of programs runing on startup?

run > msconfig > startup

There you are mate

startup.png

Gorman

Author Level
Hrmmrmm.

3 instances of Bitdefender?, are they identical?

Internet Do... Tonec Inc, Whats that?

Utorrent starting with windows, not usually a good idea unless your a serious download junky.

Lets have a peek at the last few items at the bottom of the list

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
Utorrent only runs when im downloading something pal otherwise i shut it down internet do is actuallu internet download manager which is handy for me speeds up downloads from http site

pc-1.png

thats rest of stuff

Gorman

Author Level
Theres nothing that instantly jumps out as a cause.

Each entry is loaded on startup so they will all contribute in their own little way, i single out utorrent as its network dependant and will be trying to establish connections even before you hit the desktop and those connections will remain open for a while even if the first thing you do is quit the program.

Maybe try unticking everything that isnt essential and seeing if adding one by one you can tell which is causing the slowdown.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
hello there,

Just a shot in the dark here...

Fonts?

As a designey type chap I tend to have a vast amont of fonts on any system, and if you have a big collection, it can really affect start up times, although my major experience of this is with Win2000 and XP.

Just a thought.

rgds

F

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys me again unfortunatly im still convinced my pc is't as fluid as it should be i think bitdefender was slowing me down last time abit but im now back on my nod32 eset which is't a resource monster ive nothing runnung in background either of note that would cause any slow down

it mite just be program etc im using not taking advantage of my cpu etc but in conviced somethings amiss :(

hopefully im just been paranoid :)

steveuk87

Super Star
well neihun i have noticed my pc taking a bit longer to start up and the white icons appearing, but i'm not overly concerned tbh, i have been getting a warning saying something called Tages Protection driver has been stopped aswell but apparently thats just CD/DVD secuirty program :/ ah well!! all is still good :)

Steve

neihun627

Bronze Level Poster
well neihun i have noticed my pc taking a bit longer to start up and the white icons appearing, but i'm not overly concerned tbh, i have been getting a warning saying something called Tages Protection driver has been stopped aswell but apparently thats just CD/DVD secuirty program :/ ah well!! all is still good :)

Steve

Its not so much that it takes long to boot up steve but things just dont seem to run as quick as i'd expected with a i7-960 and 12gb samsung ram i thought it would fly but as ive mentioned before there not alot of diffrence in performace in my new system from my old system which was't even half spec my new system is :(

steveuk87

Super Star
yeah basically you will only really notice the speed and power when doing several things at once without losing performance and also in gaming, i was also surprised when mine didn't make my dinner when i turned it on, but have since been calmed with the fact i can download (1MB/s) defrag, chkdsk, virus scan (full) and play MW2 and have an MMO open all without performance loss :) its great!!

Steve