a few problems

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

First my specs -
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)**SPECIAL**
OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.8GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
50GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
100GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited-function versions of Word & Excel)
MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS - Free Basic Protection
LG W2753VC-PF 27" WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080
LOGITECH X-540 5.1 Surround sound effect with full range and deep bass

I just received my PC today and when booting it up for the first time I kept getting this message
13072010004v.jpg

once this displayed and I hit enter to contine it restarted the computer and went through the process again and again. I hit F8 and it just restarted and showed the screen that says windows didnt close right and if I wanted to enter in safe mode etc but this screen was up for seconds before the computer restarted again, then for some reason after the 10th time of restarting it finally cam back up and stayed at the screen so I could pick pick load into windows normally and after that it started to load everything up, also when it restarted for the first time after I was in windows this message came up - The file is possibly corrupt. the file header checksum does not match the computer checksum. then it dissapeared and loaded me into win 7.

Do you know what these Error messages means and is it something that needs fixed? I have shut down and restarted now and everything seems to be fine but I am just a bit concerned that there might be something wrong.

any info would be great.

Also

I bought the LG w2753v monitor with this and by using the white DVI cable that came with it the screen uses the full area of the monitor but when I swapped it over to use HDMI it doesnt use the full display as there is a black boarder about 3 inches around the sides.... do you know why that would be? all the settings are the same with the DVI cable so I dont know why it would not be using the full screen to display the picture?

Other than those issues the pc seems great.

JJ

Xavien

Enthusiast
I didnt get this screen when my pc turned up last friday but what i did get was it locking up going into windows and then i got a blue screen and it would reboot. In the end i reinstalled windows and its been fine since then. The techs here are very helpful and although ive not installed windows before it was quite painless especially since i didnt have any info on my pc anyway as it was new so i never had anything to loose.

As for the HMDI problem, a mate of mine had a simular problem when swapping from DVI to HMDI, as for quality between the two there isnt any noticable differenance and the only advantage i can see using HMDI over DVI is that you can have the sound coming out of your monitor\tv if its avalible so we just swapped it back. It appears that using HMDI with a pc isnt as clear cut as just plugging in a PS3 using HMDI, as that just works. Im sure a tech will get back to you very soon though. Hope you get it sorted.

Raydon

I would recommend doing the same as Xavien. A reinstall of windows would probably fix all the issues. It will just be a file which has become corrupt/missing upon windows system preparation. you can find information on how to do this in the welcome booklet received with your PC.

misterdave

Enthusiast
JJ_Young,

Welcome to the forums,

My suggestion would be pop in the windows CD in to you DVD drive during initial boot stages tap F8 to load the Boot Select Menu and select your DVD drive from there.

Let windows setup start and choose the repair option, repair will prompt you to restart at the end. Should it fail to correct the problem you might need to follow the instruction from our welcome booklet on how to perform a reinstall on pg.12

As for the HDMI issue I'll ask one of our other techs to look into this for you.

Gorman

Author Level
Do you know what these Error messages means and is it something that needs fixed?

Not seen that one before!

Please dont re-install for this!

The most likely explanation i can think of is that something went wrong during the final shutdown before shipping. If you are able to restart windows and the error has not re-occurred i think that it was a one off. If it comes back and reports more corrupt files it isn't beyond reason that the HDD could be damaged in transit.

Either scenario does not call for a re-install of windows on the same drive.

I bought the LG w2753v monitor with this and by using the white DVI cable that came with it the screen uses the full area of the monitor but when I swapped it over to use HDMI it doesnt use the full display as there is a black boarder about 3 inches around the sides.... do you know why that would be? all the settings are the same with the DVI cable so I dont know why it would not be using the full screen to display the picture?

Two possible causes for this. Check the resolution when using the HDMI connection is correct, set it to the highest res the monitor supports. If this doesnt work check that the monitor has detected the source correctly by autotuning.

misterdave

Enthusiast

Connect your monitor via DVI and install the display driver from the LG CD included with the monitor package reboot to allow the driver to load then shutdown swap over to the HDMI connection then power on. You will have to choose your resolution form the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Hopefully this should fix you HDMI woes.

PaulH

Bright Spark
All wrong :p - the problem with the 3 inch black border around the screen when using HDMI is that ATI control centre automatically enables scaling - Go into the ATI CCC and click i think desktops this will give you two pictures of monitors

2a_7.jpg

The smaller one in the bottom left, right click and hit configure i think (doing this from memory as i no longer have an ATI card and am sat at home on ma day off) inside there there are some options for scaling, i believe you have to tick one of the boxes or play with the scan slidebar in there :)

Hope this helps (as i know its a little vague) :)

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, The PC seems to be working ok so far so Im not going to reinstall windows, i'll just wait and see the now.

I'll try the issue with the monitor tonight when im home from work and the dentist!!!

Ta

JJ

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the info all and the instructions PaulH, got the display to work now, still working out wee niggles with the PC though but getting there.

I've just noticed something else now though... I got 6GB Ram and for some reason in the system properties its only showing up 4gb, I checked in the bios and it only shows 4gb also, do you know why that is as when I ran CPUZ (that came with the computer) it says I have 6144mbytes?

Also can you advise me how to turn off the notification screen that says - detecting drives - none detected press space bar to continue, when starting up?

Ta

JJ

Last edited:

misterdave

Enthusiast
JJ,

Sorry to hear you are still having some problems. I would suggest calling our tech support team on 0844 499 4000 and they can talk you through some steps to try and correct it.

Gorman

Author Level
I got 6GB Ram and for some reason in the system properties its only showing up 4gb, I checked in the bios and it only shows 4gb also, do you know why that is as when I ran CPUZ (that came with the computer) it says I have 6144mbytes?

Contact our tech support on 0844 499 4000.

Also can you advise me how to turn off the notification screen that says - detecting drives - none detected press space bar to continue, when starting up?

Go into BIOS by pressing del on boot. On your board navigate to onboard devices and identify the Marvell 9128 controller and set it to disabled, F10 to save and reboot.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, I'll call on saturday morning.

Just had more problems with it trying to boot up, once it got past the motherboard screen it just kept restarting over and over and then it said there was a hardware/software error and to select repair windows or start normally, I picked repair windows and it restarted again and once it got past the motherboard screen it came up saying American Megatrends and that I should do a bios upgrade to unlock the full potential of the cpu, hit any key to continue, then it flashed blue and restarted and done the same all over again. I had to actually press the power button to get out of the loop and when I switched it back on it seemed to go into windows this time.