Adding old drives

oishi

I want to purchase a new desktop - spec wise still to be decided - but my question is - do any current motherboards within the range accept standard SATA drives? I have around 4 existing SATA drives in my current desktop used purely for storage - and when upgraded if possible I'd like to just unplug and replug. Is it possible - or have things moved on too quickly - and now are obsolete?

Thanks.

Gorman

Author Level
I want to purchase a new desktop - spec wise still to be decided - but my question is - do any current motherboards within the range accept standard SATA drives? I have around 4 existing SATA drives in my current desktop used purely for storage - and when upgraded if possible I'd like to just unplug and replug. Is it possible - or have things moved on too quickly - and now are obsolete?

Thanks.

Yes this is entirely possible. All SATA ports are backwards compatible, so SATA 1,2 or 3 works with SATA 1,2 or 3. You just need to make sure you choose a mainboard with enough ports for old and new drives!

Gorman

Author Level
If the spec doesnt, just let us know which board you are considering and we can look it up for you.

Meds

Thanks - will now go to see if your specs list on the motherboard shows the numbers of ports!!

If you click on the little (?) next to the Motherboard option, it will bring up a new window with a number a of key specifications, including number of SATA Ports.