Front Mic port not working

yamibone

Newish PC bought here 1 month ago I plugged in my new headset Senheisser PC 360 into the front two audio/mic ports on the FRONT of the coolermaster case above the DVD drive and oinly the audio port works.. whats up with this? Then when I plug the headset to the back of the case suddenly the mic starts working? So the front mic port isnt working or isnt turned on? Whats up with that?

Meds

Ahhhhh... this brings back memories of working in Tech Support :D

Front Panel Audio is either perfectly straight forward, or an absolute b***h to configure - especially with those high spec soundcards! I very much doubt a HW fault, more likely a setting deep in and amongst Windows. Plug the headset into the front panel and give the following ago;

1. Start > Control Panel > Sound
2. Recording Tab
3. Right click Microphone (with SB X-Fi written under it), set as defalt device
4. Test Mic.

Fingers crossed it is something as simple as this. If not, then if you can get hold of Tech Support when you are with your PC, they will be able to use a piece of software to remotely access your PC and get it all set up for you.

tehoken

Hmm, I'm having the same problem, and I tried fixing it the way you said there but that doesn't work, as when I plug my headset into the front socket it doesn't seem to regester it, I know the headset works because it was fine when I plugged it into the back socket,

Maestro

Guys, you need to post your specs. Do you have onboard sound or discrete soundcard. If you have a discrete soundcard, most of them do not support the front audio ports. Usually, you will only have working front ports with onboard sound. There are a few of the soundblaster cards that support the front ports but the majority dont.

Sweeney47

Mines onboard sound card and if i plug my headset into the front ports it sounds like there is a poorly oiled wheel spinning round, so I have to use back ports ;)

yamibone

I have the xfi onboard sound card that is stupid why doesn't it support front audio? If I had known this I might not have gone for it!!! WTF!!

Meds

Hey Yami,

I have just checked the specification of your order, it states you ordered the X-Fi Titanium; this Soundcard does support front audio. If you give Tech Support a bell, they will be able to help get this up and running for you.

Al.Neri

Super Star
Hey Yami,

I have just checked the specification of your order, it states you ordered the X-Fi Titanium; this Soundcard does support front audio. If you give Tech Support a bell, they will be able to help get this up and running for you.

I am thinking of picking the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium PCI Express card personally, would this sound card have front support? also, is it a reliable card?

Meds

Yeah, this is the same card which Yami has so it does support front audio. As far as I am aware its a very good sound card and from experience, sound cards rarely fail - LDUK's was the first I've heard of in years to be honest with you!

Others may know more than I do though, I'm still on my trusty default motherboard audio :D