Simon's i7-980X: Disk Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Hi All

I'm having a tough time getting some satisfactory answers from Sales Support by email, so thought I'd give the forum a try.

I wish to specify a top of the range rig (i7-980X) for future-proofed, general purpose (extensive and varied) use as well as HD video editing.

I have a number of questions, but I'll post them by component/subject to try to keep the thread manageable.

So, as far as disks go I was planning to configure the following:

HDD1: 240Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II
HDD2: 600Gb Raptor (10,000 rpm)
HDD3: 600Gb Raptor (10,000 rpm)
HDD4: 600Gb Raptor (10,000 rpm)

I will load the OS and programs to the SSD use HDD2 as a scratch disk and possible offline files cache (Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo) and make a RAID 0 pair from HDD3/4 for my audioviual files.

I am aware that my chosen MB (Rampage III Extreme) has only two 6Gb/s connectors, so I plan to use these with HDD3/4 and connect HDD2 at 3Gb/s.

My thinking is that a 10,000rpm disk connected at 3Gb/s will be faster than a 7,200rpm disk connected at 3Gb/s and that the WD Raptors will struggle to get data on or off the platters much faster than 3Gb/s anyway.

So, the questions ...

1. Is it possible to attach a 600Gb Raptor to a 3Gb/s connector on the MB?
2. Can you implement a RAID 0 array using only HDD3/4?
3. Why aren't the 600Gb Raptors showing in the drop down box for HDD3/4 when I try to configure these - they were the other day?
4. How come I'm picking up (from Sales Support) such bad vibes about this configuration?

After all, nobody has suggested (yet) NOT using an SSD and this can only connect through a 3Gb/s interface. Surely, in terms of getting data as far as the interface goes then SSD will be much faster than a 10,000rpm disk which in turn will be significantly faster than a 7,200rpm. So whilst it would be nice to connect all three Raptors at the 6Gb/s interface they support, I remain doubtful that there will be a massive difference wehn connected at 3Gb/s.

Anyone else had similar thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Simon

PS I'm a newbie at forums so will appreciate your tolerance if I inadvertently break any rules!

PPS Here is the full proposed build in case it helps!

COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE (£159)
Intel® Core?i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-980X (3.33GHz) 6.4GTs/12MB
ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (6 X 2GB)
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
240GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
600GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR® SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£99)
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£175)
COOLIT FREEZONE ELITE CPU SUB AMBIENT COOLING UNIT(£225)
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£148)
Microsoft® Office Pro 2010 (Incl Disc & 1 License for 2 devices) (£339)
MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS - Free Basic Protection
LOGITECH Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX-certified digital surround (£252)
Logitech® Webcam Pro 9000 - 2.0Mp, AutoFocus and Carl Zeiss Optics (£55)
Logitech® ClearChat PC Wireless? Headset High-performance & wireless (£84)

Last edited:

misterdave

Enthusiast
Welcome to the Forums Simon,

Yes no problem there.

Should be no problems setting RAID up on SATA 3 & 4 just ask the guys to make a note when you go to buy it.

3. Why aren't the 600Gb Raptors showing in the drop down box for HDD3/4 when I try to configure these - they were the other day?

I'll check with the other guys about this.

4. How come I'm picking up (from Sales Support) such bad vibes about this configuration?

Can't say for sure, from the looks of it it looks like a quality rig, I'd recommend to go with a corsair PSU, if you haven't already. They rock!!

Last edited:

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, misterdave!

Even better - I was expecting to have to configure the RAID myself as this wasn't offered as a configuration option but will include a note when I order.
Proposed MB (as indicated in the original post :) is a Rampage III Extreme.
Look forward to seeing what feedback you might get from the other guys concerning the other questions.

Simon

Gorman

Author Level
Hello Simon,

Welcome to the forums.

Simon said:

Yes, it will just be running at 3Gb/s

Simon said:

As far as i am aware yes, although i would like Zeplini's input on that. If HDD3/4 are the Sata 6Gb ports then no. no RAID.

Simon said:

Not sure, possible website error, will look into it. May be stock issues.

Simon said:

Well it does sound like a beast of a machine. When you have worked with PC's as long as some of us have you develop a healthy dislike for RAID and overly complicated setups. Dont worry you probably just hurt their heads.

Simon said:
After all, nobody has suggested (yet) NOT using an SSD and this can only connect through a 3Gb/s interface. Surely, in terms of getting data as far as the interface goes then SSD will be much faster than a 10,000rpm disk which in turn will be significantly faster than a 7,200rpm. So whilst it would be nice to connect all three Raptors at the 6Gb/s interface they support, I remain doubtful that there will be a massive difference wehn connected at 3Gb/s.

The setup you have outlined looks good and i would agree with your thoughts on the SSD as system and how the raptor will perform on SATA 2. The scratch disk looks good on paper. I would question the benefit of the raid 0 array in real world performance but this does come down to personal taste. I really hate RAID.

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks again, misterdave - I've added the full specification at the end of my original post so you can see that I already went Corsair for power.

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Wow, thanks Gorman. Looks like it was a good move for me to try the forum. I've added the full spec to the end of my original post in case it helps. I agree that RAID is not always as big a benefit as one might imagine, but I'd rather have a "single" really big disk than two "smaller" ones and RAID 0 should at least give me the same performance as I would have had anyway and possibly slightly better. But it seems from your helpful comments that I'm not a million miles away from having specified something sensible even if it is a build that might cause a bit of head scratching!!! Thanks again.

misterdave

Enthusiast
Nice rig :D. (wish it was mine)

Though if it was mine I'd change the RAM for 12GB 1333, much more stable and as you'd be stressing it with video editing I'd recommend the stability of 1333.

But all in all a quality rig

Gorman

Author Level
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 SILVER SILENT CASE (£159)
Intel® Core?i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-980X (3.33GHz) 6.4GTs/12MB
ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (6 X 2GB)
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
240GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£175)
COOLIT FREEZONE ELITE CPU SUB AMBIENT COOLING UNIT(£225)
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£148)
Microsoft® Office Pro 2010 (Incl Disc & 1 License for 2 devices) (£339)
MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS - Free Basic Protection
LOGITECH Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX-certified digital surround (£252)
Logitech® Webcam Pro 9000 - 2.0Mp, AutoFocus and Carl Zeiss Optics (£55)
Logitech® ClearChat PC Wireless? Headset High-performance & wireless (£84)

4796588784_e0d8834dff_b.jpg

The only consideration would be the freezone. Unless your very interested in high overclocks your going to be better off with the ECO as its not going to run sub ambient. Also will save a bit of cash too.

EDIT:

but I'd rather have a "single" really big disk than two "smaller" ones

Someone actually gave a good reason for Raid 0! im shocked!

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
I wonder if I should begin a separate thread on RAM options? I'll have a look on the web, but sounds like it was just as well there wasn't a 12Gb 2000MHz option or I might well have gone for that! I had no idea that there could be stability problkems with the 1600MHz RAM. Stability is critical for me, so if the 1600MHz RAM is much less stable then I will certainly consider going to 1333MHz. Thanks for checking the rest of the specification, misterdave!

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, many thanks Gorman (nice picture). I've created a new thread on my cooling options as I already had some issues with that. Perhaps we could continue that discussion in a little more detail in the other thread? I also have some pure overlocking questions that I propose to ask in a third thread. I hope this is OK - not sure my head can cope with mixing all these technologies up in one place!!!

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Hi everyone

Well, I think that has answered all my original questions very comprehensively. Thank you all very much indeed for your great contributions.

I see that the 600Gb Raptors are now configurable again as HDD3/4.
Seems like I can either connect 2 or 3 x 600Gb Raptors as 3.0Gb/s and form a RAID 0 array (the main benefit being efficient disk utilisation by having a single large disk) or to connect 1 at 3Gb/s and 2 at 6Gb/s without the possibility of settup up RAID. I will almost certainly go down the latter route - retaining a discrete scratch disk - to take as much advantage as possible of the 6Gb/s capability of the disks and MB at the cost of having to put a bit more thought into file placement so as to make disk utilisation as efficient as possible.

I hope to continue discussions on other aspects of this configuration in other thread(s).
How do we (I?) close this thread off? It's my first ever forum thread, so please excuse this very basic question.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.