New Drive

Jay

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I have the Asus P6X58D-E Mother Board in a computer i got from you back in december, with a 60GB SSD and a 1TB HDD connected to it.

The SSD is the main drive for windows but I wanted to get a bigger SSD for windows and then use the 60GB solely for one program because the capacity keeps fluxuating when im running programs from the SSD (turn on the computer sometimes I have 19GB free sometimes i have 1.4) and I get that low disk memory message when work gets intensive.

Just wondering if I could attach all 3 drives to this board or would i have to replace the smaller one for the bigger one.

Thanks

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Um I think first things first you need to figre out why its fluctuating so much? Are you saying from boot its different? or do you run a program that dumps heaps of data to your harddrive, I mean 19GB is a huge difference. Never seen that kinda thing happen before.

Jay

Yeah, I work with Cinema 4D and Photoshop a lot, they dump heaps of data on the drive that has windows installed on it. its usually a gap of about 5-6 GB but i got that big one yesterday and the twice last week.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
But surely the files should be temporry, they shouldnt persist after you close cinema 4d?

I mean I work with max, inventor, maya, lightwave, and they all dump loads of data, especially when rendering, btu its all transient data, so when max closes or a render finishes the space clears up again.

Jay

Yeah, I think I didn't explain well. The drive usually has about 50GB used when the computer boots up. Then as u know temp files fill up and it gets full. I but yesterday I turned it on and I randomly had 31 GB free, which I'v seen before but i think that's unrelated to needing a bigger boot drive. Was back to 5GB free this morning.

Thanks

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yeah I understood you, but what im getting at is there shouldnt be this fluctuation in free disk space, something is going wrong, and getting a larger harddrive is not going to fix it, the reinstallation of windows may help but unless for some reason the ssd is damaged in some way and giving false readings I dont see why the amount of space would fluctuate so drastically. IOd give PCS a call since you only got it 6 months ago.

Jay

Alright, i will do, still curious about the ports tho, cos if i don't need another SSD i might get another internal HDD

Jay

Ah, yeah i do use hibernation so it might be that, ill turn it off not much point when i think about it since the computer boots up so fast anyway. About the board tho, can I add another drive or do i have to replace?

Rakk

The Awesome
do i have to replace?

I'm pretty sure I have that exact same motherboard, it has about 6x3GB sata ports and 2x 6GB sata ports if I remember rightly, I can check when I get home later, so if you have some ports free then I reckon it should be fine to add another HDD (note: this is me speculating, I could be wrong)