Anyone else playing the Battlefield 3 beta on 360?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
It's out now, for some reason the open beta for PC is taking a lot longer to get up.

To be honest I don't like it. Apart from the graphics it seems like a step backwards. They've removed the unlimited sprint for some of the classes, or at least it seems to be for me. Which is terrible for BF3 given the map sizes. The shotgun is completely worthless. They've changed the sniping so that it has scope wobble like in COD and you have to steady your breathe. **** knows why they put that in as that was one of the things people praised about Bad Company 2...

The recoil on some of the guns is stupidly high as well.

Am hoping it'll grow on me. Have already cancelled my pre order for the 360 though so will see if I like it more on PC.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
It's out now, for some reason the open beta for PC is taking a lot longer to get up.

To be honest I don't like it. Apart from the graphics it seems like a step backwards. They've removed the unlimited sprint for some of the classes, or at least it seems to be for me. Which is terrible for BF3 given the map sizes. The shotgun is completely worthless. They've changed the sniping so that it has scope wobble like in COD and you have to steady your breathe. **** knows why they put that in as that was one of the things people praised about Bad Company 2...

The recoil on some of the guns is stupidly high as well.

Am hoping it'll grow on me. Have already cancelled my pre order for the 360 though so will see if I like it more on PC.

My reply to all of these points is as follows:

Unlimited sprint is unrealistic, running out of srpint and as a result being shot means it requires thought and timing before you decide to just leg it over an open area. This is a much better idea. Map size is not an issue with battlefield as the larger maps have vehicles and even without vehicles everyone always wants the msot realitic game they can.

Shotgun from videos ive seen online is very effective, so not sure what the problem is with yours.

Sniping is far too easy with a non wobbling scope. Introducing the holding breath is a much better idea since a sniper cant jsut sit there aiming continously ona specific spot, they need to time holding their breath for when they want to take their shot. It also means if they take a shot and run out of breath they cant just keep shooting, they need to make their shot count first time. This just makes sniping harder (but in a good way).

Mattyp

Enthusiast
It may be unrealistic but so is being revived after dying. At least unlimited sprint makes the game more fun. You can't run fast enough to avoid a player with a decent shot fast enough. If your life depended on it I'm sure you'd find some energy to sprint that little furter rather than limping into the enemies bullets.

The shotgun is trash, seems to be the general consensus on the BF3 forums as well.

Scope wobble just too COD for my liking. Sniping wasn't too easy on the previously Battlefield games. The scope wobble for snipers that take 3 bullets to kill someone is just plain annoying and makes the sniper (at least the one available in the beta) obsolete when up against 4 bullet kill A.rifles.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
It may be unrealistic but so is being revived after dying. At least unlimited sprint makes the game more fun. You can't run fast enough to avoid a player with a decent shot fast enough. If your life depended on it I'm sure you'd find some energy to sprint that little furter rather than limping into the enemies bullets.

The shotgun is trash, seems to be the general consensus on the BF3 forums as well.

Scope wobble just too COD for my liking. Sniping wasn't too easy on the previously Battlefield games. The scope wobble for snipers that take 3 bullets to kill someone is just plain annoying and makes the sniper (at least the one available in the beta) obsolete when up against 4 bullet kill A.rifles.

I disagree, the point in the sniper isnt necesserily one hit kill, its long range shots. The A.rifles are not long range and therefore on teh bigger maps will not counter a good sniper. Scope wobble for me is a must.

If you had the energy in you in real life to continue sprinting forever even in a situation like that id have to call you super human. I dont think unlimited sprint makes it more fun in the slightest, having unlimited sprint to me may aswell just mean having no sprint and increasing walking speed, its a pointless feature. Having limited amount of time where you can sprint is more realistic and as I said before means people have to think about sprinting before they sprint.

Ive seen soem people compain about shotguns, but ive also seen videos of the shotgun being extremely effective, so think probably just a preference thing really more than anything. Plus as theyve said the beta is all about finding out power of weapons etc, if you feel weapon is underpowered then thats the point of the beta so you can let them know and they can change it for the full game.

You cant really ever judge a game / product by its Alpha or Beta.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Im pretty sure Scope Wobble wasn't invented by (modern) CoD.

I have to agree with Frenchy though...the more realistic elements are always better. Unlimited sprint is just...no. And from what I saw when playing, you arent revived when dead...you are still breathing, and then die if it takes too long (need to play more to be sure though).

Snipers in most games are too OP because they DO kill you in one shot with little skill. Now, with scope wobble and not stupid dmg rifles, you have to work for your kill just as those that are in the thick of it do. Don't get me wrong, I looooove being a sniper, but also dont want it to be easy-mode kills for people that just dont want to go get dirty :)

And most of all, the most important thing, the uppermost reaches of cruciality...

...this is Beta! The shotgun sucks? Enough people tell them? They can change it! :D This...is...what...Beta...is...for :) Not just so we can all play it before its released.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think its pretty good, starting to notice the lunatics running around now though, and those that want to sit in corners. But neither of those can be avoided.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I retract most of my statements. I just went 33 and 15 and am very pleased.

Sorry to disappoint but you do have unlimited sprint you just need to choose it as a 'perk' like in COD. Scope wobble I can live with.

Surely with the game only a month away from release this beta is a bit of a 'hoax beta' as surely it is heading into production?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
One word: PATCHES! :D

This is totally what I thought! All this beta means is inevitable 'download required' before we can actually play the game lol.

Currently downloading it via Origin btw for anyone wanting to play the PC beta.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
wooh finally downloading, not bad 670kb/s hopefully shud be done by the time i get home from work. So glad I remembered to connect my pc back to my server this morning. Wake on Lan just to download the beta lol.