Any Blender 3d users??

Skinner

Bronze Level Poster
Here are a couple of animations.
[video=vimeo;26618467]http://vimeo.com/26618467[/video]

[video=vimeo;26826063]http://vimeo.com/26826063[/video]

Must say the PC is still running strong! Well impressed with it.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Here are a couple of animations.
[video=vimeo;26618467]http://vimeo.com/26618467[/video]

[video=vimeo;26826063]http://vimeo.com/26826063[/video]

Must say the PC is still running strong! Well impressed with it.

Nice, this makes my animation skills look like crap haha. What did you use for the particles? surely thats not done using the standard blender particle generators is it?

Im not honestly sure how you put up with blenders terrible interface lol, Im too used to max tbh.

Skinner

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Frenchy, thanks for the comment.

Yeah it's all Blender, there are filler bits where I've used after effects for some of the particles. Blender's particle system is very powerful in the right hands (not saying mine are) and can do pretty much anything the top commercial apps can.

Did you say you were a student? If so you are best off sticking with Max/Maya etc as this is what most companies will use once you look for work in the industry.

I would reccommend giving Blender a go, the latest version has a built in camera tracker, a new render engine called Cycles which uses Cuda cores to speed up rendering (like Octane), an Ocean Simulator which I've seen some impressive stuff done with already. Couple of good sites if you ever fancy a dabble
blendercookie.com & blenderguru.com

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Hi Frenchy, thanks for the comment.

Yeah it's all Blender, there are filler bits where I've used after effects for some of the particles. Blender's particle system is very powerful in the right hands (not saying mine are) and can do pretty much anything the top commercial apps can.

Did you say you were a student? If so you are best off sticking with Max/Maya etc as this is what most companies will use once you look for work in the industry.

I would reccommend giving Blender a go, the latest version has a built in camera tracker, a new render engine called Cycles which uses Cuda cores to speed up rendering (like Octane), an Ocean Simulator which I've seen some impressive stuff done with already. Couple of good sites if you ever fancy a dabble
blendercookie.com & blenderguru.com

Naa not a student anymore, im a progammer, but like to do 3D modelling too, im a modeller more than an animator though. For smoke effects I tend to use things like fume fx, which tends to be a lot more powerful than built in particle simulators, i mean you could do it but you'd need to write a lot of scripts to help you get the particle velocities etc correct.

JohnMalcolm1970

I'm learning to use Blender at the moment. I recently had to write a tutorial for a magazine involving Sketchup combined with Painter 12. This got me into doing 3D stuff again and just before Christmas I gave Blender a try. I'd downloaded it years ago, and was put off my the interface and seeming complexity. The UI now is pretty friendly and I found some great tutorial sites like Blender Cookie and Blender Guru. The fact that the new Blender render engine, Cycles, places so much importance on GPU rendering using CUDA is one of the reasons I ordered a PC from PCS.... that and the fact I do a lot of 2D illustration in Painter 12 and I've heard that newer CPUs make that a much happier experience when working on complex large files.

Attachments

• uglywugly2.jpg
    uglywugly2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

JohnMalcolm1970

Cheers Skinner. As I said, I've only been using Blender since December, but every time I try something I learn something new. Usually it's in the form "I won't make that mistake again!" :)

It's a great program though. It's amazing that so many talented and clever people all over the globe can work together and produce something like this for free. Amazing... and the fact that it's constantly being developed and added to as well. I own Photoshop, Painter and ArtRage Studio... and I make some money out of using them. I can't justify paying the prices companies are asking for 3D software though. I'm not even sure that any of the big commercial 3D apps have all that Blender has "out the box".

Nice website BTW!

Skinner

Bronze Level Poster
Hey John, I totally know what you mean about the price of commercial software. I work for myself and there is now way I would be able to afford Max or Maya and then keep up with updates, so Blender is the ideal solution and can pretty much do anything (and more I would say) that the big boys. Your sculpt looks better than some people who have been using it for years.

Thanks for looking at my site! Just had a look at yours and your artwork is excellent! Quite a few publications as well I see.

JohnMalcolm1970

Anyone see the thread over at BlenderArtists? Somebody has posted an amazing Blend file that shows off instancing. 19 Billion polygons. 2 tree models instanced 54,000 times. That's an impressive 18,900,000,000 polys. There is commercial software that would cry at that... and Blender continues to get better and more impressive with every official release.

My PCS desktop managed to render it in 2 minutes and 12 seconds using the GPU - GTX 560 Ti 2GB. I am very impressed and now have to go and look into instancing.

billions.jpg