IOS 5 is out

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
meh, jailbreak is better, and legal!! well thats what the jailbreak site said, dw i buy all my apps i just use some stuff from Cydia like page scrolling and unlimited folders, pretty awesome, yup ther is nothing my iPod on 4th gen cant do that this can (not camera or other physical parts)

Gorman

Author Level
meh, jailbreak is better, and legal!! well thats what the jailbreak site said, dw i buy all my apps i just use some stuff from Cydia like page scrolling and unlimited folders, pretty awesome, yup ther is nothing my iPod on 4th gen cant do that this can (not camera or other physical parts)

Irrelevant, this is IOS5 not the 4s its a significant update for iPhone users who don't want to jailbreak, like me.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Jailbreaking is pretty stupid to be honest, yeah its gives you access to things like flash, but very poorly supported anyway, it gives access to ssh but guaranteed 99% of people who jailbreak dont have any idea what ssh is. It gives you access to other apps, most of which werent accepted because theyre not good enough or becuase they break the "sandbox" rules for iOS. Sandbox is extremely importnat because it means one app can not in any way access another apps info.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
meh i like it, i didnt even know you could get flash, wouldnt bother anyway, i just like scrolling on the page and stuff

i like showing it off to people because it makes it unique, no one else has it setup like mine

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
meh i like it, i didnt even know you could get flash, wouldnt bother anyway, i just like scrolling on the page and stuff

i like showing it off to people because it makes it unique, no one else has it setup like mine

Scrolling on a page? Im pretty sure every iPhone ive seen can scroll a page lol.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
on the icons page/home i can scroll up/down rather than side to side, and in folders, i have unlimited icons/apps, and on the bottome bar i also have unlimited icons

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
on the icons page/home i can scroll up/down rather than side to side, and in folders, i have unlimited icons/apps, and on the bottome bar i also have unlimited icons

See that just seems reatrded. the left right / up down scrolling makes no difference to me. Unlimited icons in folders defeats the point of folders to me. Folders on a phone are not only meant for containing similar files but also for quick access. The whole point of moving icons froma crowded desktop to a folder on a phoen is to get rid of the clutter, not to move the clutter.

Unlimited icons on the bottom bar is again pointless. Having 4 (or 5 with some jailbreaks) icons on the bottom bar is much better as you dont have to search for items. Although I can have unlimited if you count my backgrounded apps switching bar.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you are just pretty much pointing out flaws, i dont use the folders anymore anyway, but i used to put mainly the games into categories, ie shooters, racing etc, and began to get more and more of these games and therefore needed that extra bit of space

i can have unlimited but i use 10 on my iPad and 6 on my iPod, and both fit on the screen perfectly with a little gap between, it personally makes it a lot easier for the most used apps, its just the same as the icons on the taskbar on a desktop

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
will this auto update on my phone? or will i have to plug it into the pc... (which i hate doing cos it jus breaks)

Its a plugin job, the reason for this is its a firmware update. It worked first time on mine, tbh updates have been fine for a long time now. This does get rid of all your apps though so make sure you backup before you update. It does warn you of this though

Gorman

Author Level
although im sure Frenchy shares my excitement at this, future OS updates will be wireless straight to the phone.

Can i get a woop woop **** you itunes.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
although im sure Frenchy shares my excitement at this, future OS updates will be wireless straight to the phone.

Can i get a woop woop **** you itunes.

Indeed, this is great news, aswell as new iOS devices not needing to even see a computer to work. I cant help but think that normal updates will be available wirelessley, for example upgrading to 5.2 5.3 etc, but I have a feeling as iOS6 will again require a major firmware upgrade Im not sure it will work without being connected to iTunes, gut feeling.

Gorman

Author Level
oh aye, firmware will no doubt be a plug in jobby, but still, no itunes for regular updates thats enough on its own.

throw in the cloud and this is seriously a massive step forward for ios.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
oh aye, firmware will no doubt be a plug in jobby, but still, no itunes for regular updates thats enough on its own.

throw in the cloud and this is seriously a massive step forward for ios.

Yup, my facebook is filled with android users saying "but my android does this all already", well great I dont see iOS users saying it didnt lol. I still feel as a developer iOS is better at this current point in time. Things may change soon though.

Corfate

Author Level
Downloading the newest version of iTunes always for some reason makes Applemobiledevice.exe hog my cpu, sending it straight to 100% and staying there... Then i have to faff around on Google finding people with the same problem, and then finding a cure.. Luckily i found one.. So if anyone has the problem of it hogging their CPU, this is what i found:

"Re: itunes is using 100 % CPU
12-Oct-2011 09:47 (in response to vitalyfromwheeling)
this works by me

In windows 7, click on your start menu, go to accessories, right click on the command prompt icon and choose "run as administrator". Once it opens, type in the following command...

netsh winsock reset

hit enter and it should say something like winsock reset successful now reboot your computer."

It worked :)