Urgent iPhone help!

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Hey guys, my iPhone is currently sync'd with my ancient laptop, is there anyway to sync it with a new computer simply, and without loosimh ANY items or data from it, and without messing with hex editors, Amy helpful info is very much welcomed and rep will be a definate if helpful info is provided, thanks this is really important to me. :)

Corfate

Author Level
This was so brilliantly worded.. ;)

Do you mean can you transfer your itunes over to your new computer?

calduf

Silver Level Poster
No not really lol, sorry. I meant, (forget/disregard my old laptop) if there's any way to connect and sync my current iPhone (which is sync'd with another computer(the ancient laptop)) to my new computer without loosing any data or files and without having to mess around with hex editors and the such. Thanks for speedy reply, hope you can help.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Well it takes me to the correct website but gives me a completely different search, may be because I'm on my phone?

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Well currently on 4.2.1. And I would update to ios5 but in order to update I need to connect my phone to iTunes and then download it from there, which i can't to because I cannot sync because my persistent ID is missing so I'm looking for a way to sync to a new computer without loosing data and without havin to mess with hex editors anymore and then be able to sync confidently an properly to a new computer, thanks :)

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Nope ive not tried that, but I've had an idea, I found out that when iTunes recognises the phone, even if it doesn't sync, you can right click it and back it up, then I can just erase it and restore from back up :) do you know if this would work? Thanks :)

Gorman

Author Level
It will back up your phones data such as texts / pics / app data etc but not the actual music or apps themselves.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
:O really I thought the backup backed everything up, as when my dad restored his old phone from backup, it gave him everything back the way it was? Hmm confused and worried :/ !

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
to make sure your apps are backed up you need to click on transfer purchases. Backup as gorman said will only transfer certain data like numbers, texts, etc.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
But some of the apps and music I have were not bought on the phone will I loose these, never thought apple would make this so difficult :mad: !

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
But some of the apps and music I have were not bought on the phone will I loose these, never thought apple would make this so difficult :mad: !

How do you have them on it if you didnt buy them / download them?

If youve bought the app then its yours for life, all it means is that if you dont transfer purchases youll just have to redownload them.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
No I had transferred them from my old computer on to it, and theres also some stuff that are saved in seperate apps? And are you sure that backing up only backs up certain information, because as I said before when my dad reloaded his phone from backup, it gave him everything back?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
No I had transferred them from my old computer on to it, and theres also some stuff that are saved in seperate apps? And are you sure that backing up only backs up certain information, because as I said before when my dad reloaded his phone from backup, it gave him everything back?

thats because all his stuff was saved in itunes.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Ahh, hmm so there's no way to save everything without using other programs and stuff? So when I do a backup, what does it actualy save, and if I then resynced on the new computer what would I get back? Thanks to all btw!