Gta 5

Spuff

Expert
I think i the FPS drops are most noticeable when you are near buildings with interiors. I seem to drop to about 55 fps around them then up to about 90 when im in them.

What I've noticed is that there are points on the map when there is a little pause, sometimes so small you won't really notice. But that pause causes the frame count to drop before it picks up again.
There are also stutters, but I think that is a different issue.

LFFPicard

Godlike
MSXAA causes stutter, same with high detail grass.
Also if you experience mouse stutter change from direct input to windows input

Spuff

Expert
MSXAA causes stutter, same with high detail grass.

I think anything very demanding on the GPU is what causes stutter. Msaa and ultra grass are two of the most demanding processes.
Do you have a link to information that the most powerful PC systems have stutter if MSAA is enabled and don't have stutter without it?

LFFPicard

Godlike
Not to hand but GTAforums is riddled with the posts, some people have posted there own settings etc.

My friend did mention to me that if he remembers correctly in the settings you see how much vram each setting will use when you change them as the game loads everything into the vram or soemthing? Either way as I have the troubled 970, I turned a couple settings down so the game says it will use 3120mb or something, so I am well below the 3.5gb performance threshhold. I do get a bit of stuttering in busy parts but it is all bearable and playable now.

Spuff

Expert
The stutter has gone today! Did much cruising and speeding all around the city with x2 MSAA on and not a single pause.
I get a bit of judder when the fps goes low in high detail area or I move the camera fast, but I think that's a simple fps affect. Basically stutter fixed.

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im going to sit down with it tonight and run some benchmarks with my rig.

Do we want some videos or just a text based progress report? I might even talk in them :O, if there is anything exciting to say.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I just tried it just now, Keeping the settings the same for both tests, i ran it in SLI and then in Single.

Sli ran just below 60 but enough that you would notice.

Singlel ran at about 70/80 but it was jumpy and textures weren't loading as quick.

I've done everything, guess the only other think i can do is put a call into Rockstar Support

Spuff

Expert
I've done everything, guess the only other think i can do is put a call into Rockstar Support

Have you set the game as priority in Task Manager?
(doing that will also mean you alt tab out which apparently can be helpful in fixing jumpiness (have to to do that during play))

What kind of settings are you playing on?

Dual 980's is what Rockstar apparently used for their trailer videos, so they should be performing for you.

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I haven't tried that no, ill give it a bash tonight when i get home

Settings im using are

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<Settings><version value="27"/>
<configSource>SMC_AUTO</configSource>
-<graphics><Tessellation value="1"/>
<LodScale value="1.000000"/>
<PedLodBias value="0.200000"/>
<VehicleLodBias value="0.000000"/>
<ShadowQuality value="3"/>
<ReflectionQuality value="2"/>
<ReflectionMSAA value="0"/>
<SSAO value="2"/>
<AnisotropicFiltering value="16"/>
<MSAA value="0"/><MSAAFragments value="0"/>
<MSAAQuality value="0"/>
<TextureQuality value="2"/>
<ParticleQuality value="2"/>
<WaterQuality value="2"/>
<GrassQuality value="2"/>
<ShaderQuality value="2"/>
<Shadow_SoftShadows value="5"/>
<UltraShadows_Enabled value="true"/>
<Shadow_ParticleShadows value="true"/>
<Shadow_Distance value="1.500000"/>
<Shadow_LongShadows value="true"/>
<Shadow_SplitZStart value="0.930000"/>
<Shadow_SplitZEnd value="0.890000"/>
<Shadow_aircraftExpWeight value="0.990000"/>
<Shadow_DisableScreenSizeCheck value="false"/>
<Reflection_MipBlur value="true"/>
<FXAA_Enabled value="true"/>
<TXAA_Enabled value="false"/>
<Lighting_FogVolumes value="true"/>
<Shader_SSA value="true"/>
<DX_Version value="2"/>
<CityDensity value="1.000000"/>
<PedVarietyMultiplier value="1.000000"/>
<VehicleVarietyMultiplier value="1.000000"/>
<PostFX value="2"/><DoF value="true"/>
<HdStreamingInFlight value="true"/>
<MaxLodScale value="0.500000"/>
<MotionBlurStrength value="0.000000"/>
</graphics>
-<system>
<numBytesPerReplayBlock value="9000000"/>
<numReplayBlocks value="36"/>
<maxSizeOfStreamingReplay value="1024"/>
<maxFileStoreSize value="65536"/>
</system>
-<audio><Audio3d value="false"/>
</audio>-<video><AdapterIndex value="0"/>
<OutputIndex value="0"/>
<ScreenWidth value="2560"/>
<ScreenHeight value="1440"/>
<RefreshRate value="144"/>
<Windowed value="0"/>
<VSync value="0"/>
<Stereo value="0"/>
<Convergence value="0.100000"/>
<Separation value="0.000000"/>
<PauseOnFocusLoss value="1"/>
<AspectRatio value="5"/></video>
<VideoCardDescription>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
</VideoCardDescription>
</Settings>

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
One one had i feel im just being awkward, the game runs, it looks good and its playable.

On the other i can see the slight dips and it just bugs me.

I sent an email to rockstar support but now i feel like im just wasting their time. Trouble with PC gaming is it could be anything. Theres so much trouble shooting etc invlolved.

It just annoys me when articles come out with SINGLE GTX 980 RUNS FLAWLESS 60+ FPS and then i try it with SLI and get 60-

Old man rant over, sorry.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Hey Smoke, Dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but have you checked Totalbiscuits Port Report? If not then might be worth watching as he uses SLI 980s

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Cool, i'll check it out when i finish work.

Do you think the performance is right? If someone said that "Yeah thats right" i'd be fine with it but all these people posting videos of amazing framerates is bugging me.

Maybe i should just sell both the GTX 980's and get a Titan X. But then there is no guarantee that it will be any better.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'd stick with 980's they are far better value and much more powerful, even if SLI doesn't work great on all games.

Most games on release recently tend to have little to no SLI/CrossFire support. Titanfall didn't have any kind of support for it for months and would cause some terrible bugs if it wasn't disabled.

I imagine they probably have an optimization update in the works with better support for multiple cards and maybe some improved performance for all single cards too.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Ok, ill cancel my listings.

I'll bear with it.

Watched TB's video. I'll put the same settings in and see how it performs. Hes getting some good 100fps highs and doesn't seem to drop below 70.

Only difference is that he has a 6 core i7 cpu and im only i5.

Sorry to be a pain about it guys, i know i should just enjoy the game but spent a lot on this machine now and want to get the best out of it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster

I'll bear with it.

Watched TB's video. I'll put the same settings in and see how it performs. Hes getting some good 100fps highs and doesn't seem to drop below 70.

Sorry to be a pain about it guys, i know i should just enjoy the game but spent a lot on this machine now and want to get the best out of it.

Have you tried tabbing out 30 seconds after loading and closing the GTA V launcher from task manager? It seems to eat a lot of CPU and does nothing. Also try closing the other programs you have open.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level

NilSatis

Bright Spark

I'll bear with it.

Isn't Total Biscuit running at 1080p rather than 1440p like you run though? That will make a massive difference to the frame rates you get of course; and you will get a lot lower, or are your tests in 1080p too?

I did notice in his video the sli scaling is a bit weird but for the most part it makes a nice performance increase, so whatever is the case; something is very weird that you are getting lower fps on sli than without. I guess you are on the latest Nvidia driver too? This will make a big difference. Your i5 should be fine on this game. Wouldn't worry about that. One more thing...are you running Geforce experience? If so, I would uninstall that (try turning it off via system tray first) for the purposes of testing this game as it does cause a few issues sometimes with optimising games; and of course reinstall afterwards if there is no difference and you want it. Good luck mate, these things are frustrating....a friend has this same setup and he seems really happy with the performance. Even my brothers ancient 560m sli laptop works reasonably well on this game; so sli scaling is definitely working to some extent. You are right to cancel your listing...don't sell those cards, your setup is a beast!